Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-20-2003, 08:07 AM   #1
itdoka
Question Interested in a book club

I'm not sure this is the right area for this thread, but here goes. When I see a movie I enjoy discussing it (rehashing it) with those I saw it with. I recently picked up a copy of, "Art Of Peace". I was hoping a wide variety of folks would be interested in reading a certain amount of pages per week, then talking about it. As I paged through, I realized that this text is much more than something to read; there are amazing nuggets of wisdom that should not be taken lightly (like one may have the tendency to do when reading singularly). I am just beginning (again) in my Aikido studies and would love to hear everyone's feelings, impressions, first hand experiences, etc. as it pertains to, "Art Of Peace".

So, is anyone interested? There is no real time limit, I think the only important part would be to all be one the same pages at the same time, even if its only 5-10 pages a week I think we would all find it extremely beneficial.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:57 AM   #2
itdoka
Wow. 36 views and not a single response, I guess I will tackle the founder's book by myself (storms off slamming imaginary door)
Old 11-21-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
Rich. Well, you may not get as many responses as you'd like for several reasons. Firstly, I think a few of us who are interested have already read it. Secondly, those who haven't may not want to. Thirdly, people are very busy, and keeping it organized to the level you want may be pretty tough. Oh, and the amount of views doesn't really count for much on a thread, there are MANY lurkers on these boards, not that there's anything wrong with that. For what it's worth, I read the pocket book of Art of Peace, but not the full-size one. I would like it if the book were formatted as more of a counter-point to the Art of War, but it is a good book on it's own. I had two copies, so I gave one to a philosophy teacher that I know. I'd be happy to discuss the particulars of the book with you, just let me know which parts you are thinking about and we can get this thread going.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 11-21-2003, 07:50 AM   #4
itdoka
I tried to convey a lack of structure but sadly the typed word, doesn't convey inonation. That would be great (to discuss it). I was actually looking for a pocket version (didn't even know it existed), maybe santa will grace me with a copy Thanks for replying...I completely forgot about the lurking factor (I tend to lurk in other places, sometimes you just get in a read only mode; totally understandable.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
The Art of Peace never leaves my back pocket actually .

I've been using and applying its philosophies alongside other systems that I align myself with. It's a hell of a thing to live, I tell you

I like the fact that there is no story-like structure to the book, just quotations. Because of this I've probably read the pocket version over 50 times, backward and forward.

What can I say, every time I read it the stuff appears in a different light, bringing a new insight on everything from life to doing technique in the dojo. I tend to give the pocket version as gifts to those I think may understand and learn from it.

If you folks wanna chat about it let me know. Think I memorised most of the pages anyway .

"He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything" - my fave quote.

L.C.

Last edited by L. Camejo : 11-21-2003 at 08:35 AM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-21-2003, 08:58 AM   #6
itdoka
This is great, sorry for my impatience; which in itself is funny considering the book we're discussing I look forward to hearing what you have to say
Old 11-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #7
Josh Bisker
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, and Renshinkan London
United_States
Rich - i think that this would probably be more productive for you if you gave your project some more tsructure.

Pick a page or a quotation (or a few) and come up with a few "questions for consideration" regarding your passage. Post those, along with the quote, as a new thread and see if you don't get some thughtful discussion.

Not trying to be bossy, just giving a suggestion for you.

Hmm, who knows - if the idea catches on, maybe you could get a whole new forums section on passage explication.

-Josh