Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2004, 04:10 AM   #51
malc anderson
Re: ki power bad for you / evil??

Hi ya Riki, some questions for you. If the Bible is the WORD of God, what was in the beginning? (In the beginning was the word and the word was God) Was it a huge Bible floating in a void? What language was it written in at that time?
Let go of your concepts of God and carry on worshiping if that's what you want. As Jesus said," It is the peace that passes all understanding", so how can you understand it? Surely Jesus wasn't lying? In a recent program on language the word translated as ‘wind' in the bible can also be translated as ‘breath' so when Jesus said that ‘the spirit is like the wind no one knows where it comes from and no one knows where it goes to' change the word ‘wind' for ‘breath'. So the Spirit is the breath, or Ki or Chi. Think about it you can play a guitar or hit someone over the head with it, does the guitar become evil?
I agree with what Boon Soh has written. Ki or Chi (Breath) is not only not good or bad, it is VITAL to your existence and with out it you can't go to church, or read your bible or do anything. Let me finish by saying that I respect most of what the bible say's but I also respect most religions and their written texts to. How can the words in ‘The Way of Peace' be devilish? malc
Old 08-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #52
silverlion
United_States

Hello everyone,
Old 08-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #53
silverlion
United_States
Evil Eyes Re: ki power bad for you / evil??

Hey everyone,
I am just a beginner myself, however I believe "ki" is the universal energy that creates and destroys.
What we do with it as humans dictates if it is bad for us or not.
One will either create something beautiful or destroy something beautiful, however a balance must be kept.
The individual decides what part of the balance they wish to be.
It is like the common saying "guns dont kill people, people fill people."
Anyone else feel the same way?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:43 PM   #54
Tim Clark

What is ki? It is different things to different people, Shioda (in Total Aikido) defined it as when correct posture, timing etc all came together.I feel it (at this point in time) as energy, which is manifest as sound, heat, movement, etc. Posture and body position play a big part, because that is how that energy is directed and transferred. So ki can be seen in more natural terms.

Since energy is neither good or bad, its what the mind makes of it. I am Christian and I see nothing evil with ki.

Happy training
Old 09-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #55
RichGar
United_States

Very interesting theories on what Ki. Ki Qi, Chi, Energy are one and the same. There is only one energy in the universe. "Uni" means one and "verse" means song. Or better stated one source. As far as the "Word" in the beginning being true, it is. For you "Christians" the believe that the "written" Word is the only "valid" word of the creator didn't occur until 1526 when Martin Luther decided to call it so. Before that time it was the "Apostolic" or "spoken" word that existed from the time of the Master Jesus until Martin Luther thumped his finger on a bible and proclaimed "It's in the Book!"
Energy belongs to the world of duality and came after the "word" was spoken or "intended" by the One Mind, God. What we generate in our exercises and or our techniques when performing, is energy, Ki. The power of the technique expressed in spirit. What makes the expression of the technique by one who has trained diligently and has "connected' with the triune of mind, spirit and energy is flawless, smooth and effortless. O' sensei and Koichi Tohei's way of executing technique.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #56
jester

United_States

There's a lot of responses here, but I never saw a second post from the person who started the thread.

It almost reads as a joke post. I don't think he can be serious.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:42 PM   #57
davidraybell
Dojo: UCO Budo Society
United_States

I've heard several different ideas of what Ki is, from simple breath power to metaphysical cosmic goo that binds the universe with phenomenal cosmic powers, dark and beautiful...
Any how, we don't do much Ki at my dojo, however it all seemed to sound familiar and then I remembered where I've heard this before...

Quote:
Yoda wrote:
Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.
So, I've decided... Even though I believe in God and think that Jesus was a "groovy cat" with lots of cool things to say, I'm going to start practicing Ki in the hopes that I too can snatch a bokken or shinai from across the room to defend myself against Sith randori!

(BTW this is supposed to be funny. )

But what do I know, I'm just a white belt.
Dave
Old 10-01-2004, 02:30 PM   #58
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States

Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Feel free to give me an irimi-noogie if you've heard that before.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #59
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Feel free to give me an irimi-noogie if you've heard that before.
~Anne Marie promptly performs an Irimi-noogie to Kevin~

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:29 PM   #60
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States

Hehe.

Ow. Too much noogie-Ki.

-Kev.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:14 PM   #61
David_francis

Dojo: St Ives Aikidojo
United Kingdom

My friend who did karate for a while told me that his sensei said that his ki was an animal. This animal was inside him and he had to pick an animal which he thought defined himself eg tiger, bear etc. My friend who i admit is quite strange chose his ki animal to be a warthog.
I was thinking i might choose this way to try and find my ki, do you guys agree with this or do you think it would only be appropriate in karate?
Old 10-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #62
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
David Francis wrote:
This animal was inside him and he had to pick an animal which he thought defined himself eg tiger, bear etc.
Sounds like your friends karate instructor is a big fan of Philip Pullman.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:53 PM   #63
Yokaze

Dojo: Five Dragons
United_States

I admit I'm fascinated by this entire thread.

If I'm not mistaken, trying to keep from using/feeling your ki would be like walking around with your eyes closed, or trying to stop breathing. It is a part of you whether you know, accept, like it or not. Some people like to think of it as their "soul," some think it's just another form of electromagnetic energy.

Let me explain my humble position in a way that might make sense. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and in the Star Wars universe, there exists the Force. It binds all living things together and is the energy from which life comes and returns. With training, some have the ability to manipulate this energy to suit their purposes.

Would this power be evil? What if it was used to crush the windpipe of an incompetant subordinate? That use of the Force would certainly be considered evil by many. This type of use is commonly known as the Dark Side of the Force. On the other hand, if I use the Force to cloud an enemy's mind so I can slip by him without having to kill him, this would commonly be known as a good use, or the "Light Side" of the Force.

The Force, then, is both good and evil, and neither, depending on the user. It merely exists.

Ki, and Martial Arts in general, can be used for great good or great harm.

If a Reiki doctor can use his ki and the ki of his patient to kill cancer cells, is this not a gift? A miricle even?

Thoughts for you to chew on...

"The only true victory is victory over oneself."

Rob Cunningham
3rd Kyu

Icon courtesy of Norbert Knoll http://www.aikido-verein-hannover.de
Old 10-28-2004, 07:47 AM   #64
thomas_dixon
United_States

Martial Arts are the Devil!!!

Yes...I'm kidding. No, they're not.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:40 AM   #65
Miguelspride67
Dojo: ShugyoShin Dojo/ Sto. Dgo.
Dominican Republic

Aikikai ''is now at Dominican Republic" please enter this foro, answer my question.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:44 AM   #66
Miguelspride67
Dojo: ShugyoShin Dojo/ Sto. Dgo.
Dominican Republic

Chi or KI, is the universal energy, and we are an essential part of that universe. How could that be bad or evil?
Old 10-29-2004, 06:50 PM   #67
thomas_dixon
United_States

I think this is a classic example of people damning what they don't understand.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:08 PM   #68
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

I Am Going To Be Straight Out. You People Need To Stop Thinking You Have Any Special Power Or Any Hokus Pokus Bullshit.ther Is Some Energy That Circles And Flows Throughout Our Bodies.and Thats That..some Martial Arts Out There Have Figured Out How To Re-use This Energy That Flows Against Us But That All.i Am Sick Of Seeing These Threads With Shit Like Ki Power Good Or Bad For Us.a Lot Of People Are Just Sick Of Living Or Having A Regular Life Or Shall I Say Being An Average Joe And Need And Want Some Excitement And Join Something They Think Is Supernatural And That They Are Becoming Super Human Beings..this Is What Is Bad For You.aikido Is A Great Martial Art And Really Works With Self Devolopment And Thats As Spiritual As It Gets..god Is The Only Way The Truth And The Life And Ill Talk To Yall Later..
Old 10-29-2004, 08:18 PM   #69
thomas_dixon
United_States

You need to stop capitalizing things.

People have different beliefs. Just because you believe in God, doesn't mean the next person doesn't believe in Shintoism, Buddha, etc.

Some people are afraid for what ever reason that belief of Chi or Ki is blasphemous, and will land them in hell. Aikido is based on Ki, that is part of the Martial Art.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:26 AM   #70
Kristian Miller-Karlsen
Dojo: Shin Sen Dojo Sydney
Australia

Ai Ki Do, I'm pretty sure the word Ki is in there somewhere Tony.

Aikido is based on ki. Get over it. It's not a big deal. Ki isn't hokus pokus at all. In fact there are some schools of thought I've come across referring to ki in very simple, practical, physical terms. Ki is like water, or Air, only much finer.

One Chinese Master I've had the privilege of talking to on the subject finds the way so many people speak of KI / Chi extremely hilarious. In the system he teaches Chi / Ki must be used the way a muscle would be, the same way the blood moves through the veins. It must also be present for the technique to work well. Just like AIKIDO.

The people we see in the world who have exceptional skill in this area have simply learned how to flex their Ki muscles effectively. Nothing mystical about it really. Its just that most of us haven't figured it out yet (me included).

It is a shame that you are so upset by KI. Considering that your Body is comprised of it.

Happy training to you.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:10 AM   #71
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Tony you can make things even more simple than that. You live and then you die period. That is all their really is to "life" isn't it?

Fortunately, alot of interesting things hopefully happen in between that makes it worth living.

I think to not be on some sort of spiritual or exisitential quest is to mean that you are already dead. What is the point of an ant's life? He lives, but can he celebrate his living or does he just go about life reacting to things his instincts tell him to do?

While I believe all life is devine and humans have no more right to the ability to experience all that life has to offer, there is something special about being human and I am glad that I am.

Certainly it can be frustrating having KI discussions that seem to get rehashed over and over and over and over. I too find it frustrating sometime...if I didn't, I would not be honest or human.

However, as I have matured in my practice and in life in general, I now see and understand the need for aikidoka to discuss this ad nausem as it may be.

We are all in different stages of our quest to understand ourselves and understand all that is the world and all that is humanity. In fact, I think that is the reason many of us are involved with aikido whether we know it or not!

KI may be interpreted and experienced differently by different people. Just as we all have different paradiqms and backgrounds. That diversity is what causes conflict and at the same time is what we celebrate as the human dimension!

Sometimes people need to feel special. I know I do from time to time. It is human to want to feel that way and no one should feel bad about it. What I think is healthy is to recognize it for what it is..ego. It is only when we really start to believe that we are truely more special than others that causes problems.

As far as being average: I don't think anyone is average. We are all human beings and thus we are special! We have abilities and powers that exceed anything in the universe!!! Wow! How powerful is that!

If only we would recognize our specialness and use our powers for good things such as peace, harmony, and maybe trying to save our planet and world instead of systematically destroying it.

I believe the thought that we are average, or not special in anyway is really what is hurting us as humans...I mean why bother doing anything since we are all going to die any way....let someone else worry about it!

This is just another way to look at things, or the way I do!

Have a nice day!
Old 10-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #72
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Martial Arts are the Devil!!!

Yes...I'm kidding. No, they're not.
Oooh, I loved this:

"Over and above this, there are Martial Arts techniques which cannot possibly be performed by anyone without the use of demonic power. Such a technique is the directing of ki at an opponent, or to lead the opponent to do what you want him to do, as is done in Aikido "

Demonic powers...

"Rigmarole of judo" was another favorite...

Thanks, that made for great reading with my breakfast!
kvaak
Pauliina
Old 10-30-2004, 08:30 AM   #73
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Avoid an class which teaches breathing exercises;

So breathing is bad for you.

Avoid any class which teaches "meditation";

Thinking is bad for you.

Avoid any class which claims to teach a particular school, system, or type of "Martial Art", such as Wu Shu, Karate, Ju-jitsu, Spirit Combat, Feng-sao, or anything ending in -do (e.g. Judo, Yudo, Iaido, Aikido, etc.), as all refer to "Martial Arts";

Any thing Shu is bad for you so stay away from Wu Shu Pork.

Avoid any class which teaches "Eastern philosophy"

Expanding your mind and learning is bad for you..

Avoid any class which claims to utilize "latent power", for example, by encouraging students to develop their "inner potential" or "spiritual potential";

Tapping into your own self potential is bad for you.

Avoid any class which claims to give specific training to achieve "calmness of mind" or "equanimity", which is usually a euphemism for training in the cultivation of occult passivity;

Being calm and stressless is bad for you.

Wow, this article really cleared things up for me! Do people honestly live in so much fear of the what they do not know or understand.

I always thought fear was the enemy or the devil as some believe. It would seem to me that if you put your faith and trust into your lord or god you would not need to fear things such as KI.

Oh well! To eaches own.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #74
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Parts of this discussion remind me very much of something JRR Tolkien said (quoted, I think, by CS Lewis). He was commented on attacks on his books by people who felt that fantasy and "escapism" were dangerous.

"What kind of people would be the most concerned about, and the most hostile to, the concept of escape?

"Jailers."

When I see long lists of things you mustn't know about, study, experiment with, or even think about, that's my conclusion too.

Mary Kary
Old 10-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #75
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

It becomes an interesting topic discussion what things are "bad" and what things are "good".

It is quite possible, IMHO, to take something that is in the good category and have it be bad for you.

Both Buddha and Jesus talk about the concept of moderation.

While it may be "good" to read the bible and to try and live a good life, at some point I believe you can take it to an extreme and completely lose touch with reality and it become a "bad" thing.

Just like it may be good to eat certain foods or do certain activities, but when you over consume them, they become as bad.

If you practiced Aikido everyday 8 hours a day you may be very good at aikido, but if it causes you to neglect your spouse or family then it would be a bad thing and I would submit while becoming proficient at the skills offered through aikido, that you are probably a bad aikidoka.

Back to the thread:

It seems to me that the basic concept of fundamentalism in itself may not be a bad thing, but when taken to extremes and used as a tool to control it can be bad.

While we typically associate fundamentalism with things such as religion, we have it in aikido as well. Some dojos concentrate on KI. Nothing wrong with that, but I think if you take it to an extreme and take it very literally, you miss the point of aikido and you are missing out on alot of great experiences that the other aspects in the art have to offer.

I think it is good to experience things. Maybe not everything. For example I don't need to snort cocaine to know that it might be a bad choice. Society and the institutions tell me it is bad for me. I can accept that. I have also seen the effects on others to use as an example.

On the other hand, someone telling me that dogmatically the bible says that breathing exercises are bad for me gets a little more complicated. It might be good for some and not good for others. I think if someone tried it in moderation and then determined that they did not spiritually feel right when doing so, they could cease and then say that they feel they are wrong.

I guess we all make choices in life based on our belief systems and experiences. I think discovery learning is the best most of the time as long as you approach things in moderation.

Just some quick thoughts!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!