Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-08-2003, 12:51 AM   #1
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
weird leg pain

Our dojo had a small seminar on Saturday, and I was probably training a bit harder than I normally do. I noticed at some point that my left shin kindof hurt when I was sitting in seiza and when I touched it. I just thought I caught a bruise, but when I pulled up my gi during the next break, I was surprised to not see a bruise at all. I was thinking that this was a good thing, and it would just go away soon. Anyway, It's gotten just a little worse, and there's still no bruise. So now I'm trying to figure out what it is. It really only hurts when I touch my left shin, sit in seiza, or squat down but not when I'm walking or doing other normal activites. I'm starting to wonder if it could be a hairline fracture or something, or just a bone bruise but I've never felt either of those. I don't care about the pain, but I want to make sure that I don't need to do something about it to make sure it heals well. Any medical people out there know what this might be from what I've said? I would be very surprised if it was a hairline fracture, because it just doesn't hurt that bad; I just don't have any idea what's going on with it. Oh, and I'm broke and have VERY limited freetime, so don't say "go to the doctor..." if it's no big deal. Thanks in advance for any help.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 09-08-2003, 11:44 AM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Where on the shin is it located?
Old 09-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #3
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
right in the front, in the middle of the leg.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 09-08-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States
Shin splits?

RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Sounds like shin splints but that can include anything from a compartment syndrome to a hairline fracture. Did you take a shot to the shin? Elevation if there is swelling.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:34 PM   #6
James Harraway
Dojo: Canterbury Aikido Club
How much does going to a doctor cost in America? One can only get so much information from a history; examination is a huge part of diagnosis. I would agree with John Riggs on the likley cause, but add that if you really want an answer, cough up for a visit to your family doctor
Old 09-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #7
TheFallGuy
Dojo: Jyushinkan - Logan, Utah
Quote:
RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation
Where I come from we spell it differently.

RIICE: rest, ice, ibuprofen, compression, and elevation.

Need that good dose of Vitamin I.

I came
I caused
I seized
----Chaos
Old 09-10-2003, 04:53 AM   #8
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
You would be better off if you get a qualified professional, i.e. doctor, to take a look.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 09-10-2003, 08:45 PM   #9
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Quote:
Frank Olson (TheFallGuy) wrote:
Where I come from we spell it differently.

RIICE: rest, ice, ibuprofen, compression, and elevation.

Need that good dose of Vitamin I.
Be careful with anti-inflammatories on new injuries. The inflammatory response is actually a good thing, allowing tissue to repair itself by laying down scar tissue. If you interrupt the inflammatory response before an injury has had a chance to fully heal, you risk chronic reinjury.

Also, if you dull the pain, you can fool yourself into believing you can do more with the injured body part than you should be.

Just throwing that out there.

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 09-15-2003, 08:49 PM   #10
John McDonald
My Legs...

I would have started a new thread for this, but for some reason i cant start my own thread. Thats my first question, why cant i start my own thread?? Also, my main question is whenever i sit down in the way that your suppost to sit in Aikido i cant. My legs hurt REALLY badly. I have only been to two practices in my life, so maybe my legs just aernt used to that, but please tell me if im on track or if somethings wrong. Also, if it is just because i just started, how long will it be until i can sit that way comfortably? Thanks alot!

John McDonald

" Let your spirit guide you, and your path will stay true."
Old 09-18-2003, 12:55 AM   #11
WilliamWessel
Re: My Legs...

Quote:
John McDonald wrote:
I would have started a new thread for this, but for some reason i cant start my own thread. Thats my first question, why cant i start my own thread?? Also, my main question is whenever i sit down in the way that your suppost to sit in Aikido i cant. My legs hurt REALLY badly. I have only been to two practices in my life, so maybe my legs just aernt used to that, but please tell me if im on track or if somethings wrong. Also, if it is just because i just started, how long will it be until i can sit that way comfortably? Thanks alot!

John McDonald
I'd say something to a senior member of your dojo or the sensei after or before practice. Could be you are doing something wrong, and they would most likely be able to help you out.

Other than that, dunno what to say =P

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!