Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-18-2000, 03:58 PM   #1
Norman
"Norman"
IP Hash: 82e59966
Anonymous User
I know, a broad question. but,..
What would be the most helpfull attribute to train for this doctrine ?

Strength ? Aikido's phillosophy to me is that of using the Uke's anger, force, momentum, etc... as the power behind technique.

Flexibility ? Does an Aikidoka directly bennifit from high flexibility ?

Endurance ? The techniques seem to consume little effort on the part of the Nage to execute the techniques.

Currently my training regiment includes spending time on all of the above, but is there one that Aikido depends more on than the others ?

Thank you all for your patience in dealing with my ignorance. I truely appreciate your time.

Norm

"We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the I behind the EYE that does the seeing"
Old 06-18-2000, 05:31 PM   #2
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Norman,

After about 47 years of budo training, I have come to the conclusion that the answer to your question above is:

Determination,
Perserverance,
Patience,

plus an attitude that really believes that "if those people can learn this... so can I!"

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-18-2000, 07:30 PM   #3
Erik
Sigh, the word train. You know they do that to trees, right?

Anyways, there is no "right" answer that I've found. When I started everyone said "don't be so strong." Then 2 years later a 6th dan wandered in and suggested that I should use more strength. Aaaaaaggggg.....

You can literally practice in a dojo, walk across town and they will tell you something exactly the opposite. At one dojo it's be strong, at another it's be centered, at another it's be soft and flowing. And they are all right--for what they are doing.

Listen to yourself. If your careful with that, you'll know what to work on.

Other than that, there is no right answer, although Chuck's "if they can do it" feels pretty right.
Old 06-19-2000, 12:14 PM   #4
benny
I'm only a beginner, (coming up to one year), but I've found that when starting, as I believe you are Norman, being strong can be a bit of a pain, because it encourages you to use your muscles rather than ki or whatever.
On the other hand, if you concentrate on not using your muscles when you begin, strength can't be that bad.

Being flexible is pretty useful.. makes you a good uke. You probably don't need to any specific training, since just the practice of aikido increases you flexibility, although I know more than one person who can't sit in seiza because it hurts too much...

As for endurance, I can't really say due to my lack of randori experience. However, from what I've read of people's belt exams, everyone seems to be completely knackered after the randori.
Old 06-19-2000, 12:38 PM   #5
Erik
As for endurance, I can't really say due to my lack of randori experience. However, from what I've read of people's belt exams, everyone seems to be completely knackered after the randori.

Methinks that is caused by the stress of the moment not a lack of endurance. I watched a shodan randori where the guy did 5 (yes 5) ukes and controlled it perfectly. He wasn't tired. One might argue that he was more ready than most for his exam. Relaxation helps endurance a great deal.

On the other hand, if I had to vote for one area that Aikidoists would do well to work on, it would be endurance.
Old 06-23-2000, 05:42 PM   #6
Mike Collins
United_States
The one attribute you should, no MUST train well to get good in Aikido is flexibility. Mental flexibility. Whatever you (or I) know now will change in time. Be okay with the change, and it gets easier to learn.