Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-26-2003, 11:09 PM   #1
Seth Jackson
Liniments

What, if any liniments do you use for soreness and brusing?
Does anyone have any recipies to share?
Old 07-27-2003, 12:35 AM   #2
aikidodragongio

Dojo: Shinbeikan
Usually, I tend to use Tiger Balm. I love the smell and the way it feels once it goes deep into the muscles after a hard work-out. It's particularly useful when you've pulled something. I've also used Monkey's Palm except that it tends to stain. Anyone else?

That which does not kill us can only make us stronger
Old 07-27-2003, 01:53 AM   #3
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
For years now, the folks at Aikido Today magazine have been swearing by Zheng Gu Shui Liniment - "The Dynamo", which they also sell.

Personally, I've never tried it.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 07-27-2003, 05:20 AM   #4
mj
I asked my chemist about this a while back, she said there was something called arnica (sp) which is ideal for the discolouration caused by bruising.

Old 07-27-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
arnica (or earnica) is good, and helpful. I tried almond oil for my knees and it was good too, but that's more for joint pain than actual muscle pain.

There is something very wicked, I remember the medics on field trips had it. it's some ointment which is for use on soreness from the rub of fabric on the skin. First you see the person start with a wild dance with yelps and shouts, but after the first 2 minutes, they say it is helpful....

So, you never know...

Enjoy training,

Anat
Old 07-27-2003, 08:51 PM   #6
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
I ve tried irudoid, mobilat, tiger balm, feldene, dencorub, ben-gay, blue and green menthols, that arnica self- made by Requena Sensei works very well also.

Nothing like a a hot shower, apply liniments and good sleep.

Praetorian
Old 07-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #7
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
One of the green mints mentioned here......."Eagle brand Medicated Oil" is my favorite.

Everyone has a differant body chemistry so results vary. This works well for me......warm penetrating soothing. It just smells SOOOO minty.

Tiger Balm is just paste to me. :freaky

try several types, see what matches you.

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:01 PM   #8
YEME
Dojo: South West Aiki
if the tiger balm or feldene haven't worked...and the heat pad ain't helping then a nice hot bath usually does it for me.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 07-28-2003, 02:52 PM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
The white, non-staining ultra tiger balm has always worked well for me. Our sensei is an oriental medicine practitioner and makes his own dit da jow (sp?) which works very well for bruises, especially if you can apply it right after the injury.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #10
kung fu hamster
Either Shu-jin-lu (Flex-All), or Chinese Buddha Lock Oil (I couldn't find Buddha Lock Oil so I got Wood Lock Oil, probably the same thing). Smells very refreshing...nice and hot too! Many little oriental grocery stores have a little 'pharmacy' area where they sell very interesting medicinals. I just pointed to my back and said the word 'aikido' and light seemed to break over the perplexed person's face, they went straight to the strongest stuff they had...!
Old 07-28-2003, 08:49 PM   #11
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I'm not sure if you can get Absorbine Jr. anymore but if they still make it they may still make Absorbine Sr. which I was told was a muscle linament for horses

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!