Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Quote:
What is 'meaningful competition' in the martial arts world to you? Dancing, debate....it should be fighting
Gosh, I have to admit that dancing and debate both sound like more fun to me. Dancing, especially. I love dancing.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-17-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Quote:
Opher Donchin (opherdonchin) wrote:
Gosh, I have to admit that dancing and debate both sound like more fun to me. Dancing, especially. I love dancing.
I do too! What kind of dancing do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

=wl
Old 07-17-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
paw
Quote:
I'm not allowed to dance. I keep seeing all these openings for uchi-mata.....
Old 07-17-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
hey Willy

if you wanna try Argentine Tango, its just like Aikido (sorta) i'll go with...and Opher, i do occasionally get to Balto...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 07-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
opherdonchin
Well, Jo, if you get to Baltimore please do drop by the dojo and maybe afterwards we can go out dancing.

Willy, most of my dancing recently has been contact improv. I'm not much of a dancer and I don't have much experience, but it's an amazing form.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
Qatana

Ooooh contact improv with ukemi!!! me too, me too i wanna do that!

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 07-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
willy_lee
Jo, I think tango is very cool, but I don't think my wife would be too happy taking up yet another activity that takes up my time and keeps me away -- don't think she hass time or interest in it either, so it wouldn't work to do it together either.

Contact improv.... you know about the historical links between contact improv and aikido, right? In a sense, contact improv IS ukemi....

I actually went to school at Oberlin, where contact improv was introduced. I took a couple aikido classes there as well.

=wl
Old 07-17-2003, 05:19 PM   #8
Qatana

Well, if she suddenly develops an interest, let me know. I know all the tango teachers in San Francisco.

Just want to widen the "gene pool" as tango dancers are cliquish & exclusive. I need to get more Aikido people & more Rennaisance Faire people into the mix...if i can just get them away from swing dancing long enuff to try...

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 07-17-2003, 06:47 PM   #9
Qatana

no, no the swing dancers are Faire people.

i'm also looking for crossover Faire/Aikido types. Might have located one, a Fool who takes forward rolls on parade. it can make for great Street Theater...little tiny me tossing the Fool around the shire...

if anyone's interested Faire is running in Novato CA thru August 10. see www.forestfaire.com...

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #10
Qatana

just that most of the folk i know who do contact improv in this Bay area are too touchy-feely new-agey.

I was an Improv soloist for a long, long time, with concentration on technique & most of the contact jammers only care how it feels rather than how it works. Too many people "teaching" "spiritual integretive celtic inspirational native american tree loving swirlydance"

which wasn't what we were doing in Modern Dance at the College-if i could find That I'd be there...

just call me a disillusioned Deadhead...

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 07-18-2003, 11:54 AM   #11
willy_lee
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
I'm not allowed to dance. I keep seeing all these openings for uchi-mata.....
and
Quote:
sean orchard wrote:
My old judo instructor had a story about that, except it was o-soto-gari. There wasn't a second date.
Maybe Paul and Sean's instructor should take up swing dancing instead? Sometimes its okay to throw your partner.

=wl
Old 07-18-2003, 02:40 PM   #12
opherdonchin
Quote:
I was an Improv soloist for a long, long time, with concentration on technique & most of the contact jammers only care how it feels rather than how it works.
The two teachers I've had out here have been very down to earth. One of them, in particular, has extensive connections in the bay area as he spent a number of years out there. I know that he did a lot of training out there with Peggy Hackney, but I'll see him this weekend and I can ask who he would recommend going to for a less 'spiritual' contact improv experience, if you like.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-18-2003, 03:00 PM   #13
Qatana

hey thanks!

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 07-18-2003, 03:37 PM   #14
Erik
Willy, at a visit to your dojo, and in one of Richard's classes nonetheless, I came across an improv guy. Since I'm sure you know Richard's propensity for rigidly structuring every detail of a class you can imagine how it went. The improv guy would spin and flip around in all kinds of bizarre ways. The movements were such that he did have a defense mechanism from it.

I finally got tired of it and started pointing out that if he did this and I wasn't nice his arm wouldn't work right for a few weeks. It was interesting nonetheless as he'd have made a hell of an uke, eventually.

As to dance, sometimes in the early 80's there was some kind of aikidance show in these parts. I've seen video of it and, well, it's kind of hard to explain.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:42 PM   #15
Erik
Quote:
Jo Adell (Qatana) wrote:
But around here there is so much new-age crap it is impossible to discern the truly spiritual rather than slapping any of the new age keywords such as "celtic" or "wiccan" or "natural".
In Petaluma? No way I'm buying that one.

Old 07-18-2003, 03:47 PM   #16
Qatana

Well i meant in the Bay Area in general but yes we have plenty of it all over Sonoma County. Come on up & i'll take you on a tour of bulletin boards...

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 07-18-2003, 03:50 PM   #17
Janet Rosen

Jo, he's another one of us locals, pulling your leg :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-18-2003, 04:10 PM   #18
Qatana

I know he's local but people who don't live here still think of Petaluma as "the provinces".Some don't even consider it part of the "Bay Area" tho i know that at least according to the San Francisco Health Dept, Petaluma is definitly Bay Area.

I've lived here six years and have seen the town evolve from living in the '50's al the way into the late 80's....very interesting mix of farmers, hippies & techies around here.

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 07-18-2003, 04:27 PM   #19
Janet Rosen

heheh. Apologies for the off topic senior moment! I remember being on a food conspiracy buying run to the dairies up there the very week they made the stretch between Novato and Petaluma freeway. Got totally lost and waaaay late!

to return to the thread.....how one "tests" one's aikido, imo, depends entirely on what one's goals are.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-18-2003, 04:31 PM   #20
Qatana

Well before my time!

I test my Aikido by showing up in class three times a week.

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 07-18-2003, 04:38 PM   #21
Erik
Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
Jo, he's another one of us locals, pulling your leg :-)
That's right and I've even driven right by Petaluma.

Last edited by Erik : 07-18-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:27 PM   #22
willy_lee
Don't have time for more than a quick reply but just wanted to note that I'm really enjoying this thread. Jo, that bit about the special keywords and the SOAP is right on! I remember some experiences with ceremonial mud in college -- it was fun but I probably would give it a pass nowadays.

Erik, hope I catch you if you visit again. Been interested by your posts for a while. Richard doesn't teach classes here anymore, I think the commute got to be not worth it -- too bad as I enjoyed his classes, they were different.

Dont' get up to Petaluma much myself, but I do have friends in Sebastopol, does that count?

=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:20 PM   #23
opherdonchin
Hey Jo, I understood exactly what you meant although we are pretty free of those things here in the D.C. area. On the down side, there's not all that much activity.

I wonder if this thread will ever get back on track. I also wonder when Jun will come by and post one of his, "This thread is being moved to purgatory" notes.

I like it just the way it is.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-19-2003, 12:04 AM   #24
Erik
Quote:
Willy Lee (willy_lee) wrote:
Richard doesn't teach classes here anymore, I think the commute got to be not worth it -- too bad as I enjoyed his classes, they were different.
Yes, different, that sounds really right.

Actually, I'm fish feeding and house guarding for a friend in San Leandro. Amazingly enough, and to my great surprise, I've gotten my lazy butt out and done some aikido. It was totally unexpected, seriously. I had not planned on City Aikido, however, but things remain fluid. I'll PM if the urge strikes.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:24 PM   #25
Nacho
Quote:
Jo Adell (Qatana) wrote:
hey Willy

if you wanna try Argentine Tango, its just like Aikido (sorta) i'll go with...and Opher, i do occasionally get to Balto...
Do you want to talk about street effectiveness? go and learn Tango, it's the ultimate street effectiveness! in "caminito" you can see them dancing in the street and they earn some money, specially on vacations

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!