Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-25-2000, 11:56 AM   #1
akiy

Hi folks,

So, what's been your latest revelation in your training?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-25-2000, 03:11 PM   #2
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
There are muscles in an awful lot of places that dont normaly get used. (ouch).,

and an awful lot of people need to review the principals behind aikido
(Quote: ...Aikido also says that you must be responsible for not inflicting unnecessary damage upon your attacker.... -A. Westbrook in the Dynamic Sphere. Yeah that includes your practice partner. again ouch. unpleasent practice last night).

_____
Kelly
Old 10-26-2000, 01:46 AM   #3
Erik
Mine came about 2 minutes ago as I started writing this. I had noticed recently that my connection with uke had shifted towards more focus on connecting with their energy. A more external focus of blending with the process. What I noticed was missing in that was my connecting with them in a loving manner. In other words, opening the heart.

What I just now decided is that maybe that isn't really the space I'm looking for either. Maybe the person I need to connect with is me.

Oh well, this week me, next week them, the week after that it'll be the universe and then we start all over again.

Jun, are you going to sit this one out?
Old 10-27-2000, 09:02 AM   #4
akiy

I've been feeling a lot more these days that it's perfectly OK not to be able to do something I'm currently working on. It's not quite a recent revelation, but I'm getting back to it these days more and more...

-- Jun

Old 10-27-2000, 09:58 AM   #5
BC
Ki Symbol

An enhanced respect for my instructors and sempai relating to the amount of time and energy they have devoted to aikido and our dojo over all these years. They truly amaze and humble me beyond words...

Robert Cronin
Old 10-27-2000, 10:56 AM   #6
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada
Mine most recently was that if you are fairly strong it is very important to watch how those who are not do the technique. Every time I do this I see where I'm muscling my way through.

Paul
Old 10-27-2000, 11:27 AM   #7
Russ
Dojo: Pacific Aikido Kensankai
All those places in a technique where you lose connection with your partner. On the way into the pin, after the pin and before the next turn etc.
Old 10-27-2000, 11:44 AM   #8
Guest5678
SNIP < So, what's been your latest revelation in your training? >

If you don't find a nice cool place for the bodies,
they just lay around and stink the place up.........

Dan P. - Mongo
Old 10-27-2000, 04:23 PM   #9
laughingboy
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
I've found that long toe nails and hakamas are not compatible.

LB
Old 10-27-2000, 04:50 PM   #10
JasonP
Dojo: University of Victoria (most recently)
Unhappy Speaking of toenails

Long toenails and the back of Sensei's heel don't make for a particularly harmonious match either (my toenail, uh, "submitted").

Actually, my most recent revelation during practice is that I needed more time to recuperate from a back injury before I started doing breakfalls again, and that was over four years ago. I hope that I can return to Aikido in the next year or so, I miss it.
Old 10-27-2000, 06:57 PM   #11
Nick
United_States
I found out during my first test about a week ago that only when we're pushed to the very limits of death, that we can see the true joy of life. However, my test also showed me that no matter how far we may have progressed, we still have oh so much more to go...

Old 10-28-2000, 05:35 AM   #12
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Stae of Potential

Quote:
akiy wrote:
Hi folks,

So, what's been your latest revelation in your training?

-- Jun
I have started trying to stay in a state of potential when executing techniue. In this state everything is in balance rather than manifesting. Make the "doing" part of the technique be as little as possible as opposed to the "not doing". It is the "not doing part" that is not resistable.

Having trained quite a bit with Gleason Sensei over the last few years I was impressed with his recoiunting of the statement by his teacher Yamaguchi sensei. Yamaguchi Sensei said that the amount of force used in a technique should not be more than just the weight of your arms falling on your partner. I have been trying to get there and it has changed my Aikido dramatically.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 10-28-2000, 08:30 AM   #13
akiy

I'm also thinking about how footwork generates the power that travels through the body to the point of contact. Also, it was said to me a few weeks back that footwork doesn't necessarily entail having to move the feet...

-- Jun

Old 10-28-2000, 10:38 AM   #14
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: Stae of Potential

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:

Yamaguchi Sensei said that the amount of force used in a technique should not be more than just the weight of your arms falling on your partner.
Right on right on right on!!!

I would add to that by saying that -in part- this is because it's the "setup" that's most important at the technical level - meaning, if the process leading up to the technique is "correct" then the actual execution of the technique should take almost nothing at all, it is the natural outcome of that process.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 10-29-2000, 01:50 PM   #15
Dan Hover
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo/Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States
i think my biggest revelation is the sacrifice my instructor made for all the beginners he had in class, all the time he invested in me when I was a beginner and every other beginner, when he could be concentrating on his own training but, in turn took more time to instill basics into me. This in turn I put into my own teaching, either in my own classes or at seminars, look for the newer mudansha, they need more assistance than the yudansha, who sometimes train for themselves. It's the giving back that insures the future of Aikido.

Dan Hover

of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 11-13-2000, 07:09 AM   #16
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I've learnt that it takes a lot of time to to add up all the bits of aikido into one complete technique; and it then takes a lot of time to think about how to deconstruct this so you can teach other people how to build up their technique.

I've also learnt that, when you take up the hem on your own hakama there is a lot more sewing than you first realise.