Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #26
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Quote:
I think "spiritualism" is something that people shouldn't talk about at all.
Wow. That's pretty harsh.

I don't know much about God, the Universe and Everything and I'm certainly a fucking asshole, but I still find that my training in Aikido has been enriched by the discussions I've had with people about the spiritual, emotional, and daily practical relevance of Aikido to their daily lives.

In contrast, discussions of martial effectiveness have rarely done much for my Aikido. Places where my instructor has 'demonstrated' my openings have done a lot both for my martial effectiveness and for my Aikido, but usually no discussion was required.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 05-06-2003, 09:02 PM   #27
Michael Neal
I really have to modify what I said about agreeing with what Aleksey said. I agree with the general sentiments but I think he goes too far.

I think spirituality in Aikido is fine so long as:

1) It does not replace or hinder effective, practical technique and training.

2) It is kept on a personal level and not used to preach to other people practicing Aikido or used as a smokescreen to inject personal political ideology into the art.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 PM   #28
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I can agree with that. I'd even take it a step further and say that I try to take point 1 as a litmus test regarding spiritual notions of Aikido. That is, the spiritual lessons I learn should make my Aikido more effective and not less effective. If I find they are getting in the way of effectiveness, I figure I've misunderstood something.

I've rarely been troubled by point 2 (although I agree with you). I figure that all teachers still have something to learn. Some have something to learn about technique; some have something to learn about teaching; some have something to learn about making the connection to the more personal aspects of Aikido.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 05-07-2003, 08:21 AM   #29
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
I think Aikido is extremely effective, and is an art you are more likely to use everyday then only in the unforeseen circumstance of an assult.

I teach english in Taiwan to all ages of students, and let me tell you that their is a plenty of fight in these kids. They kick,punch, slap, and cry.

Of course I cannot hurt children, and damage is out of the question. Aikido has come in handy for a senior student in our dojo who was attack by 4 robbers at a 7-11 with knives.

I think the question is can these say result occur in other martial arts. Yes, and likely depending on your personality others may be more suitable. For me Aikido is great, because I love the atmosphere that everyone is there to train in a joyful happy manner. The work day has enough preasure without having it come from the dojo.

Have fun

Ryan
Old 05-07-2003, 10:40 AM   #30
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I think it all depends on objectives - just because you're a f**king as*hole doesn't mean that you aren't progressing on the road to enlightenment (you may have been an absolute c**k sucking as*hole previously).

I'd agree with above posts and think senseis should really make it clear what they are aiming to teach with their aikido so that students aren't misled.

Personally I believe that real spiritual knowledge is derived from real world experience and chatting about it can only to direct you towards any truths (finger pointing at moon type of stuff). On that note I'll shut up.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 05-08-2003, 07:54 AM   #31
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Quote:
Ian Dodkins (ian) wrote:
I was going to post but Lynn always seems to say exactly what I want to. Darn it
When you snooze, you lose. Nice to know there are kindred spirits out there. Thank you.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!