Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-01-2003, 06:42 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
technique flexibility

One of Teds e-mails about 'steering a car' and the randori question made me think.

Can anyone do FAST aikido technique in the dojo without any pre-conceived idea of what technique they are going to do?

Although Henry Kono sensei has revolutionised my approach to randori and made it much more flexible, when I look at Ueshiba I tend to think he has 2 or 3 potential techniques in mind when someone attacks him, but his flexibility is that he can then change once he is getting physical feedback from uke. I almost see a progression in response moving through e.g.

ikkyo
irimi-nage
kokyu-nage
tenchi-nage

Any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2003, 09:08 AM   #2
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
Fast technique:

That's a great question, Ian. I find that the more confortable I get with certain techniques, the more naturally they flow in randori. I think that as we continue to mature in aikido, more of these techniques will become second nature and will just flow. I liken it to knot tying.

As a boy scout (and now a boy scout leader) knot tying is something I have spent years and years working on. There are two keys to good knot tying:
  • Being able to tie the knots.

Knowing what knot to tie.
The more knots that a person knows (i.e. can tie without thinking and understands what they're good for), the better they are at the second point. It's one thing to just tie a know, it's a completelly different thing to tie an appropriate knot for the given application. It's this second point that seperates a good knot tyer from someone who knows a few knots.

I imagine Aikido being the same way. It takes both knowing the techniques and knowing what they're good for to be able to use them naturally and appropriately at the right time. It's this difference between just throwing in a technique and throwing in an appropriate technique that seperates "someone who does aikido" from "someone skilled in aikido". I figure that if my aikido gets even close to my knot tying then I'll be one the road to becoming an effective aikidoka (someone skilled in aikido).

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
Vincentharris
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido
Your probably going to get alot of opinions on this one but I'm thinking that your definition of FAST could probably be put side-by-side with spontaneous, right ?

No thought, no RE-action, just action. If the particular technique your in doesn't work or your attacker is resisting, simply move into another one.

I think that's very possible but I also think that people have "familiar" or maybe "favorite" techniques that they will use -or attempt to use- when a situation arises. That, I don't think can be helped without several years or maybe even decades of practice.

It's simple human nature to do -or try to do- what we are most comfortable with in any given situation.

From a more scientific standpoint, it's a conditioned reflex that probably comes from one of the lower brains.

That's one of the things that I love about Aikido. There's no absolute way of doing any one technique, that is, nothing is etched in stone as far as form is concerned and that gives most (if not ALL) of the rest of the techniques the ability to implemented almost anywhere.

Optimists consider the glass half full, Pessimists consider the glass haf empty. I consider the glass is TOO BIG.