Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #51
Camille Lore
Dojo: Lehigh Fukasakai
United_States
Re: Belt System Question.

I had a great time! Awesome to be taught by someone who is teaching in Japan...
Yes, it can certainly be an adjustment! lol and fun to watch someone adjusting !
Old 10-28-2005, 08:09 PM   #52
alcantur
Dojo: Kokyuho Dojo (La Paz), Aikcruz (Santa Cruz)
Bolivia

in the dojo where i started in aikido we used only 3 colors belts:

white for kyu students
brown for sensei's assistants that still haven't achieved dan grades
black for yudanhsa

but in the dojo i'm studying now we have the following colours

white 6th kyu
yellow 5th kyu
orange 4th kyu
blue 3rd kyu
green 2nd kyu
brown 1st kyu
black yudansha

i think color belts are useful to promote the feeling of progress in the learning, it is very useful for kids, and for some if not many grown ups

cheers

Rodrigo
Old 10-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #53
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

At Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo (say thet 10 times fast) I don't see actual "black" belts. After the first test one wears hakama. When one becomes a shodan, the belt is still white, but it appears to be a bit wider. Still, you can't really see it unless you're in the changing room. Rank is a thing more felt than seen there. I can't really speak on any other style with any real understanding. Currently I'm training in Shodokan style and I see white, blue, and black belts; no hakama. I know they do have the kyu/dan ranking system to, but as to being more specific, I can't say.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #54
mrjam2jab
Dojo: SNJKokikai/Newtown
United_States

In my dojo it is White, Orange (6th & 5th), Blue (4th & 3rd) Brown (2nd & 1st), Black. The color scheme is really only important to the particular style you study. . We had two 3rd Dan move from PA out to Washington State. There was not a afiliate (Kokikai) dojo there so they went to another "brand". They were not permitted to wear their black belts...were told they had to wear white.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:56 AM   #55
bogglefreak20
Dojo: Ki dojo
Slovenia

The dojo I train at (Ki Aikido btw) doesn't use a belt-code. I have actually yet to see someone regardless of rank wearing a black belt on the mat. Sensei included.

Beatus Qui Venit In Nomine Domini!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #56
natasha cebek

Dojo: MMA Academy,VT and Budokai M.A, MASS
United_States

Traditionally there was only white and black..and then all the colors of dirt in between. The color belt ranking system was originally created by Jigaro Kano, the founder of Judo. He developed belt colors in order to assess skill levels in Judo competitions.
As far as I know, most traditional "Ueshiba" Aikido Dojos wear white until they're black, maybe I'm wrong.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #57
natasha cebek

United_States

In fact, Didn't Ueshiba always wear a white belt?
I'm sure somebody knows the answer to that.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #58
DonMagee
United_States

I believe that my aikido dojo was white, blue, green, green, brown, brown, black with hakama at brown.

Personally, I prefer to wear my white belt. If I got to another school of a different style, I will wear my white belt. The exception to this is if I went to another judo or bjj school. I would wear my judo rank at any judo school regardless of association, and I would wear my bjj as well for the same reason. Basically these ranks are proven though competition with multiple associations. My rank should be respected and I should be able to preform as expected in these arts.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 12-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #59
natasha cebek

United_States

I wasn't asking about the adopted belt colors, I just wanted to know if Ueshiba only wore a white belt?
Just curious, that's all

Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #60
joncaleb

Dojo: MCBH Camp H. M. Smith, HI
United_States

I'm new to Aikido as well, but have minimal training in other forms of martial arts. In the Marines MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program - an MMA type compilation), I am a Brown Belt (we have tan, grey, green, brown, 1st-6th black). I also study with a Gracie BJJ Brown belt (15 years of BJJ and only a brown!!) and Gracie BJJ Purple belt.

Being a part of this, and learning about Aikido's belt system, is an eye-opener in a way. There is a certain amount of 'belt chasing' within the Marine Corps. This has it's advantages and disadvantages. You see alot of the time a member reaches a belt level and is happy with it and stops trying to further themselves. They go "I'm a green belt" but yet they haven't practiced in 8 months...?

With Aikido, this introduces a bit of humility and allows you to focus on the art of it - not the requirements for that next 'level-up'. Everyone is a white belt, until you prove otherwise. However, we are a goal oriented civilization, so achievement is paramount.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #61
joncaleb

Dojo: MCBH Camp H. M. Smith, HI
United_States

MCMAP Belt system:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MCMAP_Belt_Structure.png
Views:	98
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	480
Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #62
Jamie_Macc
Dojo: Macclesfield/Genbukan
United Kingdom

Hi sean,

in my dojo a coloured belt system is used for juniors only (Keep them interested at younger age.) Some ofthe senior students also get to wear a hakama if givenpermission by sensei.

Jamie

To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is Aikido.

- Morihei Ueshiba
Old 04-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #63
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States

White Belt for all Kyu ranks and Black Belt for Dan ranks... Hakama can be worn after Shodan...

I love this system... I have often thought I would continue to wear my white belt even after I gain my Shodan ranking... I like to hang onto that "Beginner's mind" mentality...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #64
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I went through the coloured belt systems in Tomiki Aikido, Judo, Kyushindo, and Jujutsu. I thought it was normal but even then was always irked by the fact that people chased the grade rather than the skill. The only art the colour made sense in was Judo - the higher colour could usually dump the lower colour on the floor. That was normal, but it was so obviously not so in other arts.

When I discovered Aikiaki and their white/black-only system I found it to be really refreshing. People were really trying to improve their technique and everyone was more or less equal (except for the rather big divide between white and black). Also, people tended not to grade so often - more when they felt they were ready rather than being pushed along by a money-oriented system (at least, where I was). I have also noticed that if someone gets to black belt but fails to keep up their skill, they tend to quit. If not, others will politely ignore their lack of skill (impossible in Judo, of course).

Now, I have given up on grading altogether - a personal choice, which has also saved me more than a few $! Instead, I like-to-think just chase after the skill and have little interest in what others think (of themselves or me). I have met a few like-minded people - usually in Aikikai (rarely in other arts).
------
PS In Judo I injured my back and couldn't wear by black belt under my hakama as rear falls agravated it. My back still plays up from time to time so I never wear my belt under my hakama. I have gotten used to it and - well, recommend it. Give it a go - it is ten times more comfortable. Chuck that BB out! Go for it ... consider it a lesson...

PPS My kid does TKD - I HATE paying for his gradings and the stupid belts - but he loves it so ... what can you do huh?

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 04-30-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #65
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel

In my dojo branch:

6 (7and up for kids) until 1 is White
At shodan test you get Black and wear it onwards.

Hakama can be worn from Kyu 4.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #66
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

No Kyu - (Typically no uniform, but if uniform they have a white belt)

6th kyu - white
5th kyu - yellow
4th kyu - orange
3rd kyu - green
2nd kyu - blue/hakama
1st kyu - brown/hakama

1st Dan - black/hakama

---
Ideally it would give you an idea of where people are at and what they know. (would be great for seminars, but then you realize how subjective the system is, and that you can 'beat up' a yellow belt at 'no kyu'... )

Sure they are at different levels within each rank...and you would potentially find some that are really a grade above the rest within their given rank.

Again, I like it as a guide post so you can have an idea where someone is at when you train with them at a seminar, or what not. - not that it matters really, but anyway.

Peace

dAlen
Old 05-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #67
Elaine Adams
Dojo: Takehaya Dojo
Italy

I have posted on this subject before, due to moving from one dojo with coloured belts in the UK to one in Italy where the white belt until Yudansha grade is the form.

I was not allowed to wear my proudly attained orange belt in my new dojo and was regarded as a beginner which hurt my pride hugely. What a great lesson! My aikido before was partially motivated by a desire to pass to the next colour belt, now I just try to be a better aikidoka. I can still see plusses and minusses in both systems, however. For example, I still think the coloured belt system is at least a good safety measure in international courses where you don't know everyone.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!