Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-09-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Question embroidery

Hi all,

Got my new hakama (yeah!), and now want to get my name embroidered on the back like my old one, problem is; I don't know where to get this work done. Does anyone have recommendations on where they went (in their city) to have this accomplished.

best,
Rachel
Old 04-09-2003, 12:09 PM   #2
Larry Feldman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
I know Kiyota can do embroidery.

800-783-2232. Best if you have a sample - or copy of the old one you can send them.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:18 PM   #3
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Never too late to teach yourself! :]

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #4
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Rachel i typed "embriodery- michigan"

into Google & there are probably a couple dozen shops which could do this job. good luck with everything!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 04-09-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Does anyone have recommendations on where they went (in their city) to have this accomplished.
CHRISTMAN SCREEN PRINT INCORPORATED

2851 W DICKMAN RD, BATTLE CREEK, MI 49015

(269) 962-6274

Dave Christman, owner/operator

This is the same place I talked about in the Patch thread, but apparently I posted a bum link on that one Anyway Dave Christman (sounds like crisp-man) is a good guy to deal with. Make sure to specify what size you want the font though. I told him to pick whatever he thought looked good and it's a bit larger than I would have picked, but that's what you get when you leave aesthetic decisions to someone else. I've also seen him locate the name in two ways on the hakama. One follows the angle of the back piece at the vent and the other drops straight down. Just make sure to tell him which you prefer. He has other people working for him but I always talk directly with him when it comes to martial arts stuff. He's a kendo guy himself (with some karate and aikido) and will understand any martial art specific concerns you may have.

Bronson

Last edited by Bronson : 04-09-2003 at 01:19 PM.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-09-2003, 02:31 PM   #6
rachmass
Thanks folks,

I've got a call in to 10 different embroiderers in my area, and only one has called back and said "no way" when I described the job. Should have had Kiyota do it when I bought the hakama through them, but I didn't think of it. Bronson, I might go to the Battle Creek guy if no one around here can do it (can I come and train if I do?).

Thanks for the advice!

Rachel
Old 04-09-2003, 04:05 PM   #7
Bronson

Quote:
Bronson, I might go to the Battle Creek guy if no one around here can do it (can I come and train if I do?).
OF COURSE!! That would be cool! If you're thinking of coming over and training I'd recommend a Tuesday or Thursday evening. Mostly because that's when I'm there

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-09-2003, 10:14 PM   #8
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
Some high schools (larger or less-financially strapped) have the way-cool sewing machines that hook up to computers in their family & consumer science rooms (it was called home ec when I was a kid). Sometimes they'll do outside jobs for a nominal fee (and the money goes into the ed. fund, so what the heck!).

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 04-10-2003, 01:30 PM   #9
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
Hi there,

I guess I can't help you with stores in your area, but here there are stores that sell things like towels, pillows etc and they do the embroidery. It's all computerized so some can even scan a design and adjust it and then sew it on the wanted surface.

I don't have a Hakama yet, but instead of getting an embroidery done on my weapons bag, I cross- stitched a design and sewed the bag

So, if you have spare time and want to learn something new, you can sew your own designs (of course I wouldn't try the first time on a new hakama...!!! )

Good luck finding a place,

Anat
Old 04-10-2003, 02:33 PM   #10
Qatana

Rachel.

I'd be interested in hearing any price quotes you may get for this job. You can email me if you'd rather.

Just wondering if this would be a service I can offer to do by hand, in my area...

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 04-15-2003, 10:29 AM   #11
rachmass
Thanks for the information Jo,

I am going with Bronsons recommendation, and it will cost a total of $50 to do this ($35 for the set-up, $15 for the embroidery).

Bronson, can you drop me an email please? my address is: rachmass@provide.net

thanks again,

Rachel
Old 04-15-2003, 10:45 AM   #12
Bronson

Quote:
Bronson, can you drop me an email please?
Done.

Bronson

Old 04-15-2003, 12:10 PM   #13
Qatana

and Thank You Rachel-

since I wouldn't have a set-up fee it looks like i can offer hand-embroidered names...local to me, of course...for multiples, ie. patches, its much more sensible to have it done by machine, with that one time set up fee.

and FWIW, i'm always interested in trading.

thanx agin fer the info...

Q
www.knot-working.com

Please visit our sponsor:

Koretoshi Maruyama European Seminar - Maruyama Sensei will be in Cumbria UK, 1st-3rd August, 2014