Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2003, 03:21 PM   #26
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
I can't say if our Sensei makes any money...
He doesn't. Actually he sometimes pays quite a bit out of pocket in order to keep it open
Quote:
If he did, I would not object
Agreed, I think it would be great if he could make enough to be a full time sensei.

Myself, I pay the same $40/month that Joseph pays. I attend two classes a week (my choice, more are available). I also teach two classes a week in the next city over, 1 hour round trip. I make zero from my teaching. If I counted the cost of gas, photocopies for students, time spent organizing stuff for class, and various supplies for the dojo I "spend" quite a bit on aikido. It's worth every cent and every minute (unless you ask my girlfriend, she's not really happy that I spent my entire tax refund on martial arts stuff, oh well she knew what she was getting into )

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-08-2003, 06:20 PM   #27
KaitlinCostello

United_States
I pay $75 every term to be in the Advanced class. So it boils down to about 15 dollars a month ( we're sponsered by the college).

When I go to denver it'll be about $30 a month.

Small price to pay in my opinion

~~No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through tears.~~
Old 04-08-2003, 06:23 PM   #28
Joseph Huebner

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo / Battle Creek, MI
Bronson...

What's a tax "refund"?

Joseph Huebner

If you think you can, you will. If you think you won't, you're right.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:42 PM   #29
Gregory King
Dojo: Fuji Ryu Police Citizens Club
How much is it worth?

I train at our local Police Citizens and Youth Club, we can train twice a week for two hours at a time and although the club is very small at this stage with a maximum of five nearly regular students (but normally only two)we have the luxury of being instructed by a first dan, second dan, third dan and fourth dan, the last two being father and son, all this for a yearly fee of $30 aus. and a session cost of $2.20 aus. an absolute bargain if you ask me. In each lesson we end up with a combined experience in aikido of around one hundred years and that, is priceless.

Peace.

Greg
Old 04-09-2003, 02:54 AM   #30
aubrey bannah
Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane
Also paying for my wife and 4 children, it comes to paying 10 per cent of my gross annual income. The local PCYC tries to charge commerical rates for training, ypu pay $6 a lesson & instructed by 1st dan. In the dojo I attend, Sensei is 6th dan, always takes the class, nealy always a 3rd dan and plenty of 2nd dans in class, with this the training is always a high standard.

Such powers I poccess for working in the political field have been derived from the spiritual field. Mahatma Gandhi.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:08 AM   #31
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
What's a tax "refund"?
It's something you sometimes get when you're single with no dependants and don't own anything worth more than $1500

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-09-2003, 06:42 AM   #32
Greg Jennings
Dojo: WPAFB JiuJitsu Group
United_States
Just as a point of reference, when we eliminated our tuition, it made absolutely no difference in the number or quality of students in the dojo.

To me, the important part was having a situation where we didn't have to worry about making rent.

The gig we have now won't last forever (no gig does), but when we do go somewhere else, we'll probably just divide the cost of operation between the members.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-09-2003, 09:49 AM   #33
Greg Jennings
Dojo: WPAFB JiuJitsu Group
United_States
Quote:
Bronson Diffin (Bronson) wrote:
It's something you sometimes get when you're single with no dependants and don't own anything worth more than $1500
It's also one of the pros of having married a really good accountant.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-09-2003, 10:05 AM   #34
colin slider
Dojo: Aikido Shinjukai, Singapore
here in sunny singapore we pay S$ 24 annual fees plus S$ 80 per 3 months, so total over a year is S$ 344 (about US$196)that covers 1 session a week lasting 1 1/2 hours - 52 sessions for US$ 196 or US$3.80 per session

grading fees an additional S$40-S$50 (US$ 25-30) twice annually

for an extra S$300 per year (US$170) we can train 7 days a week, not everbody does that though but for those who do the typical schedule would be 4 sessions per week.

so for total of US$ 196 basic fees + US$ 60 grading fees + US$ 170 multidojo fees = US$ 426 we typically get 4 x 52 = 208 sessions at 1 1/2 hours each - works out to total of 312 hours at US$ 1.37 per hour.

and if all that's a bit much on the maths the simple answer is

US$ 426 a year, up to 7 days a week training

would it be surprising if i liked maths when i was at school ?

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com