Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-12-2003, 04:05 AM   #26
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Quote:
Kaitlin Lozano (KaitlinCostello) wrote:
I have seen a chiropractor ( as I've had my back reset twice in the last six years, most recently about three months ago) and have found that having my joints manually manipulated has little or no effect on my pain. Temporary, maybe three weeks, relief at best.
Kaitlin! My experience with chiropractors is vast so I would like to comment on what you posted here. Whenever I require to adjust my sacrum that goes out from time to time, do to the sitting I do at my desk, I have to get several adjustments over a period of a couple of weeks in order to have it stay in its proper position. To help keep the sacrum in place I wear orthopedic inserts because another part of the problem is I have one leg that's about 1/4 inch shorter than the other.

I have had the same chiropractor for many years. Occasionally I tried different Chropractors out of convenience only to find out that there are far more bad chiropractors out there than good ones. Out of the many that I have seen, and I have seen many, there are only three that I can say are good at what they do.

Signs of a good chiroprator are.

1: He/she takes an x-ray before he/she ever lays a hand on you.

2: They also use physiotharapy in their practice.

3: They will tell you to come in for a follow up until the problem is rectified.

4: They promote the use of orthodics, or any other appropriate corrective device.

5: They give you strengthening exersizes to do.

If you have found that the chiropractor you were seeing was helping temporarily I suggest you see him again and make sure he follows up on you (no more than a week). Ask him to check if your legs are the same length, and use orthodics if they're not.

Between the orthodics and the exersize I get from training I rarely see the chiropractor any more. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #27
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center
Hi Kaitlin,

Drink lots of water with that naproxyn and don't stay on it too long. It's bad for your kidneys.

I've heard eating sugar in almost any form can trigger pain response in the nerves. Also, fish or linseed oil is recommended for all good functioning, brain and body. It's important to keep your spirits up when healing. I take a suppliment called MSM as well as antioxidents and I think these speed up nerve and tissue regeneration. I have no pain on this regime in combination with doing 10-15 hours of aikido each week and staying slim. Maybe I'm just lucky but this seems like a good general recommendation. I'm a 45 yr old housewife and hope to be doing breakfalls for a long time yet.Your condition may not respond to this but it couldn't hurt.

good luck,

Melissa
Old 06-25-2003, 12:13 PM   #28
TheFallGuy
Dojo: Jyushinkan - Logan, Utah
Hi Kaitlin!

Sorry to hear about your joints hurting. I know it just plain sucks. Every once in a while my knee goes and gives me trouble. (old nursing home injury)

My dad's a pharmacist, and when he was growing up on the farm his arm would pop out of joint all the time. Years later he had that fixed, and then again fairly recently got that fixed again, this time removing bone spurs and doing a total shoulder replacement. He's used naprosyn, and that helps him a little (drink tons of water!!).

Glucosamine Chondriton may help you. I think what it does is add to the joint tissues, providing more of a cushion and padding for wear and tear. (not too sure though) I'm going to be trying it too. I'm tired of the knee aches! Also it might help my shoulder a little. My sensei tore out his shoulder a few years back and he was put on some steroids and had a lot of therapy. I think that they also put him on Glucosamine, not sure though. But he's fine and happy.

You mentioned that you wanted to lose a little weight. My advice there is to change your diet. (Diets don't work because after you get to the desired weight you go back to your old habits.) You mentioned that you had been eating one time a day? Get your metabolism working for you. I've seen that if I eat several mini-meals during the day my metabolism goes up.

I've tried chiropracters and my reccomendation would be to find one who can manipulate your spine instead of forcing it. I've found one that I'm impressed with and I'll stick with him. I was a little cautious about acupuncture, until pain in my lower back forced me to find something. I really enjoyed it, and it helped me out a ton!

If the rough and tumble of Aikido is not helping you, then you might try some alternatives that are just as fun and have some of the same principles. I tried Tai-Chi a while back (didn't last because I wanted to do something more active, but I really enjoyed it) and some of our older students do it also. It doesn't have the high impact that Aikido sometimes does, and it is great for developing stamina and strength. (I love Aikido, so I would hope you stick with it.)

But it sounds like you are the right track by seeing multiple doctors and the fact that you are looking for a cure. Best of karma in finding it!

BTW, you mentioned that you live near a processing plant. Do other people around you seem to be having the same type of problems? (esp your age)

I came
I caused
I seized
----Chaos
Old 07-25-2003, 12:48 PM   #29
KaitlinCostello

United_States
Eeeek! Sorry for the late reply... I've been working like a dog and totally spaced out since may!

The chiropractor I went to before was ... lacking that bedside manner. Breathe innnnnnnnnnnnn CRUNCH , breath ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. ~shudder~ Thus I was apprehensive , but my hubby set me up with an appointment with a family chiropractic clinic when I came home to visit on July 2nd.

The doctor was very sensitive and gentle. Before he even touched me, they did some scans of my spine. Heat readings , energy , all these really nifty tests. Low and behold as I look back to the screen, my spine was lit up like a Christmas tree, all green and red ( both no so good. Blue= good, aligned properly.) When it came time to set my back, I was relaxed and I felt just the barest hint of pressure before everything was back in place. For two weeks afterwards I felt great, The usual pain that shot through my body was almost gone. I hadn't realized just what was to feel good and healthy. After being miserable so long, I guess I kinda forgot

...but I screwed things up. We have these stairs, made of steel that go down to the basement in a spiral to the base. Genius that I am, I'm, just a couple steps down and I slip. I honestly think that if I hadn't had my ukemi skills (however rusty they've become) I would have broken my back. I just put it out of alignment again. ~sigh~ Just have to start all over again :P

When everything is said and done, those two weeks before I hurt my back again, I never felt so great. I was able to join in with my best friend doing an old ballet routine we did together as kids. Walking a mile o2 two with the dogs was wonderful. I think the key all along was in my spine. I had a rough start in life and just kept being rough on my self (Car Accidents, falling off horses... stairs eeek!).

I think me and *Chris (me hubby) are going to continue to go to our Chiropractor and see if we can both take the pain out of our lives. It beats months of testing with no answers, medications, addictions and nagging worry that there is something we haven't thought of

Thank you to everyone for their responses

Kate

*On a side note: Chris practiced aikido too, some years ago. He was actually the one who encourage me to begin aikido. He would be practicing today, but suffered an on the work site injury a couple years ago, ending up with a herniated a disc.

~~No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through tears.~~
Old 08-07-2003, 04:43 PM   #30
TheFallGuy
Dojo: Jyushinkan - Logan, Utah
Sorry to get back to you so late!

Sounds like you found the problem! Congratulations! Living with back pain is terrible, and that's putting it lightly. If your spine is out of adjustment it throws everything out of whack! Get back to your chiropracter and get your back in place! It's always wonderful to live in a world without constant pain. Good luck!!!

I came
I caused
I seized
----Chaos

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.