Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-06-2003, 07:16 PM   #1
njnoexit
Taking my first test

I am going to be taking my first test in afew weeks. And I never really cared about gaining any rank really. I just focused on getting to class and doing my best and understanding the idea behind the tequnique. Now That I have the upcoming test I must prepare myself. I dont know how the ranking system really works. And I read the lsit of requirements and I am not exactly sure what the tequniques are. Look here.

1. Shomenuchi Ikkyo (omote & ura)
2. Shomenuchi Iriminage (omote & ura)
3. Katatetori Shihonage (omote & ura)
4. Ryotetori Tenchinage
5. Tsuki Kotegaeshi (omote & ura)
6. Ushiro Tekubitori Kotegaeshi
(omote & ura)
7. Morotetori Kokyuho

I would ask my teacher but this is alot of information to ask him in the middle of one of the classess. And he usualy is busy before and after class. If any of you could help me out here on what to do that would be great. I am sure I have done them all but I dont know the names of them. Who hs read through thank you for your time and anyone who answers thankyou even more for your effort.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Hi, Adrian!

I was just looking at the list of techniques; it's interestinghow different they are from my own first test I passed a few months back. To be expected; of course; different styles, but it is intersting to see the style's philosophy coming out in the test requirements.

Anyway; can't help you with the techniques thenselves; there are any number of ways one can reach - for instance - Ikkyo from a shomenuchi strike; chances are I'd give you the wrong one.

My best answer would be to learn the meaning of the techniques' names; that way when they call for a given technique; even if your mind goes blank during testing you can remember what to do. For instance; the first one: Shomenuchi ikkyo (omote and ura).

Part 1 - the attack Shomenuchi is an overhand strike to the head; sort of an exaggerated karate-chop simulating an overhand sword strike.

Part 2 - the defence Ikkyo is the first in a series of arm immobilaizations; this one works by bringing uke's (or tori's) arm to your one-point and taking him to the floor (that's a very, very loose explanation of course. )

Part 3 - the technique Omote and ura are modifiers to that particular technique; I'm told they're essentially synonymous with our (Shin-shin Toitsu's) Irimi and Tenkan respectively. So assuming that to be true(it might not be), omote would have you moving in to rotate tori to your line, while ura would have you rotating to tori's line.

so putting it together; it looks like this:

Uke attacks with an overhand strike towards your head (Shomenichi). You respond by taking a step inward (omote), bringing your hands to the ikkyo position. They contact uke's striking arm at the elbow and wrist; you continue your hands' movement through a natural motion and bring them to one-point, maintaining unbendable arm throughout. The action levers uke around until he's pointing the same way you are; bent over at the waist; his arm across your one-point (ikkyo). You then complete the technique by putting him to the floor in the proscribed manner.

Note: That was just an explanation of how the names go together; using the simplest means I know to get ikkyo out of a shomen strike. It may not be the technique required for the test. Your best bet is to ask; if not your sensei (and why not? That's what senseis are for! lol) then at the very least, someone who's taken the test themselves. The tests themselves are not difficult; they're gentle and rather fun. Nevertheless; you're testing; this is no time for guessing - make sure you have the techniques down the way your dojo wants them done; long before the tests are due.

Good luck!

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:25 PM   #3
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Your exam is standard Aikikai 5th kyu. It should take you no more than 6-8 minutes to complete (depends on the examiner, the number of students testing, etc.) It may include ukemi (zempo-forward, ushiro-backward). If you can´t talk to your sensei ask a senior student to help you, specially if they are breaks between classes. Don´t worry, when asked to test it means you´ve already passed.

Last edited by Nacho_mx : 03-06-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:36 PM   #4
Paul Klembeck
Generally for a test, you ask someone who already has at least the rank of the test to be your partner for it, ahead of time. Usually, they are happy to run through it with you until you are comfortable you know your techniques.

Ask someone to uke for you and they will help.

Paul Klembeck
Old 03-06-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Paul Klembeck wrote:
Generally for a test, you ask someone who already has at least the rank of the test to be your partner for it, ahead of time.
From what I've seen in various dojo, that rule varies often from dojo to dojo. At our dojo, for example, the person going up to test won't have "chosen" their uke and may have one assigned to him/her (often someone else who is testing). This applies to both kyu and dan exams.

During yudansha exams, there is often at least one uke change called by our chief instructor whereupon anyone regardless of rank can jump up to take ukemi. There's often not much notice that ther person going up for a dan test either; I had about ten hours' notice before my last test...

In any case, I think it's always a good idea to "review" the techniques whether by asking your instructor if they could go over some of them during your classes or by asking someone else in your class to help you our after class. As others have mentioned, people will generally be willing to help (since they've been through the same process).

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:42 AM   #6
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi!

You could probably get a lot of info from this site: http://wyckoffaikido.com/glossary.php

and maybe this as well:

http://www.aikidonj.com/pages/kyu.html

Usually there are many different variations of each tecnique, so don't be confused if someone show you one way to do it and someone else tell you something different. Go with what you think is plausible and remember that since it's the first test nobody expect you to perform like your sensei. Just go in your speed and take your time to do things to the best of your ability.

Talking to a senior student is a good idea. Another idea would be to talk to your sensei out of class either before or after practice (perhaps in the locker-room) and tell him that you are a bit unsure about some of the techniques. You might even hand him a piece of paper with the things you are most worried about, and my guess would be that he will either start explaining right away or get back to it in class.

Off course going to a senior student first would be a good initative. That will enhance your understanding of the problem so you can be more precise in your questions to your sensei.

When I'm preparing for a test, I usually write down the program that I have put together from the curriculum and carry it around in my pocket. Each time I have a moment I look at it and try to imagine the techniques. This method quickly helps me identifying what parts of the program I have trouble with. Now and then I ask a senior student for advise, and the next time I look at the paper, I notice that my understanding has grown a little bit. Later on when the program grows longer this method also help you to remeber the whole program.

The last couple of months before the grading I usually once or twice a week go through the grading-program right after practice with one of my friends from the dojo - preferably the one I have chosen as my uke. This gives a good deal of confidence AND if a senior student or your sensei should see you do something wrong they will surely correct you.

Hope this helps and remember to have fun!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-07-2003, 06:45 AM   #7
ross_l
Dojo: Genyokan
On this website you can find some good AVI files for most of the techniques you listed. They may not be executed exactly like at your dojo but at least you'll have a visual reference.

http://www.ysaohio.com/kyutest.htm

Good luck on your test!
Old 03-07-2003, 03:34 PM   #8
njnoexit
Thank you all very much.

Ohh and Jørgen The second link you sent me is the website to my dojo. Very ironic.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!