Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
Gary the Llama
Dojo: Aikido of Phoenix / Glendale
Freaky! I'm a newbie from Phoenix, Arizona!

I'm a complete Aikido newbie, just into my second week of Aikido training and I love it. I was just wondering if anyone else on this board was from Phoenix too and if so, what dojo do you attend?

Thanks,

Gary
Old 02-18-2003, 08:02 PM   #2
akiy

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums.

As to the question of which dojo, here's a form letter that I usually send when people ask me that question. I hope it helps.

-- Jun

--------------------

I can't give you a recommendation for any dojo in your area, but here are some suggestions to help you choose a dojo.
  • Go visit all of the dojo in your area within a reasonable driving distance and observe a few classes at each of them. As aikido is not just something to be taken up and tossed away like some brief hobby, I think it's worth the time to do this -- especially if you're thinking about enrolling your child in a class, for instance. Never go by the "reputation" of a dojo alone.
  • Watch how the teacher interacts with his/her students. Watch how the students interact with their teacher. Watch how the students interact with each other. See if you feel comfortable with the way all of these interactions play out. It's often said that you can tell the quality of any kind of school by its students...
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask about the school's history and affiliation. Ask about the teacher's aikido history. Ask about the teacher's philosophy in doing aikido. See if any of their answers feels "different" than what you see being practiced and taught.
  • Do some research on aikido. Some good sites on the Internet include the Aikido FAQ <http://www.aikidofaq.com> and AikiWeb <http://www.aikiweb.com>.
Basically, a good yardstick to use if to think if the dojo itself is some place you want to be practicing for the next five years, probably at least two to three times a week.

In any case, you may want to try using the AikiWeb Dojo Search Engine

to look for a dojo in your area: http://www.aikiweb.com/search

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-18-2003, 08:12 PM   #3
Gary the Llama
My apologies, I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I've already joined a dojo in Phoenix and I love it! I was just wondering if anyone from this forum was from Phoenix.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:36 AM   #4
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
Hey Gary,

I am between Phoenix and Chicago. Yes aikido is pretty awesome stuff. When I finally get out there on a permanent basis, I will be training with a friend of mine in Glendale. He has just opened up a dojo that practices Yoshinkai Aikido. Check it out: http://www.seikeikan.com/heiseikan/

Have fun training Gary.

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu
Old 02-19-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Jessica
Welcome to AikiWeb and Aikido in general, I train up in Prescott, AZ (about two hours north of Phoenix).

Jessica
Old 02-21-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center
Hi, Gary,

My folks live in Phx and when I visit I go to a great little dojo downtown that is part of some Japanese cultural center. It is an ASU dojo, I believe, and even though I train in an Aikikai style dojo here in Seattle, they welcomed me as family, the way O Sensei would have liked. Great bunch of people training hard and joyously, I look forward to seeing them this summer when I go to visit.

By the way, Tenzan Aikido dojo with Bruce Bookman is also a great place to visit if ever you get to Seattle.

Melissa
Old 02-22-2003, 09:24 AM   #7
Gary the Llama
Smile Thanks!

Melissa,

Thanks for the great info. I have visited the dojo you speak of at the Japanese cultural center and it is a great dojo. Very warm and friendly. Unfortunately, it's a pretty far drive from where I am so I do not attend that dojo. I attend one much closer to my house. I will be seeing an Aikido presentation at a Japanese festival this weekend and it is being presented by Aikido Arizona (the dojo you speak of) so I am very excited to see them again. If I visit Seattle I will definetely come visit the dojo you suggested (and oddly enough I do plan on visiting Seattle soon as that's my favorite city!) Thanks again for all the info...
Quote:
Melissa Pittman Fischer (Melissa Fischer) wrote:
Hi, Gary,

My folks live in Phx and when I visit I go to a great little dojo downtown that is part of some Japanese cultural center. It is an ASU dojo, I believe, and even though I train in an Aikikai style dojo here in Seattle, they welcomed me as family, the way O Sensei would have liked. Great bunch of people training hard and joyously, I look forward to seeing them this summer when I go to visit.

By the way, Tenzan Aikido dojo with Bruce Bookman is also a great place to visit if ever you get to Seattle.

Melissa

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes