Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-26-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Question Do you consider it tacky?

Hi everyone,

I am considering inserting some video clips into my website, and I want to know folks views as to whether they consider this type of thing informative or tacky. My thoughts were to add some short clips of a few techniques on a separate page on my site.

Please, opinions pro or con.

Best,

Rachel
Old 01-26-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
If they are done well, I don't consider them tacky.

If the execution is bad, well, it's just bad.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
rachmass
how bout from an "average joe" or joey?
Old 01-26-2003, 04:14 PM   #4
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Greg - How you been? Congratulations on Nidan (please forgive the belated congrats). Take Care!

Rachel - I've wanted to add some clips to my dojo's site for some time, but a lack of recording equipment and website space prevented it (often the videos were too large)

Recently I purchased a new digital camera that has the ability to record short video clips with sound. I also downloaded some free software (virtual dub) that allows me to compress the videos into smaller files so they'll fit on my website. With the new technology in hand my wife and I recorded some short clips and I've since placed them on our website.

I've also decided to put the clips together and create a CD-Rom for my students (free for them) as a training aid. Since I'm going to move later this summer (I'm in the Air Force and move about every three years) I thought the CD would help them to not forget everything they've learned thus far.

Greg is right, I've seen some rather poorly made video clips (hopefully mine don't fall into this category for other folks). Of course, I've also seen some really nice clips as well.

You can view the clips on our site at

http://aikido81.home.attbi.com

The site is pretty rudimentary since I'm not a computer wiz. Let me know what you think, honest feedback is much appreciated. Take Care!

Last edited by lt-rentaroo : 01-26-2003 at 04:17 PM.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:55 PM   #5
rachmass
Dear Mr. Sharpe,

I could not view your videos due to some problem (on my end most likely) with the quick time video. do you have it in any other format that I might be able to view?

Thanks for your input.

Rachel
Old 01-26-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Quicktime is usually the default for viewing ".avi" files. Sometimes a suitable decompressor is not available. You should be able to "left click" with your mouse on the link and select "save target as" from the menu. Then save the file somewhere on your computer. Once the computer has downloaded the file and saved it, you can then "left click" on the file and choose "open with", from the menu select Windows Media Player.

I hope that works for you, if not I'm willing to e-mail the video clips to you, let me know either way. Take Care!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:40 PM   #7
rachmass
Hello again Mr. Sharpe,

I couldn't view it that way either, as it appears some "compressor" or another is missing (although all my stuff is on Quick Time too and it works???). Oh well, thank you for trying. I'll try to send you an email to see if I can view one that way.

best,

Rachel
Old 01-26-2003, 05:45 PM   #8
lt-rentaroo
Well, Darn. Could it be then, that I'm the only person able to view the video clips that I've made? That would be rather sad (for me at least). I'll try them at work tomorrow and see if everything's OK. If not, then I'll try to recode the clips with a different compressor.

Thanks for the feedback, take care!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:08 PM   #9
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Not at all. In fact I think done right it is a powerful recruiting tool.

On my dojo homepage I provide a link not only to Honbu but directly to the animated gifs on that site.

I'm talking to someone vaguely interested in Aikido - I give them my homepage address and tell them they can see what I teach very easily done at a speed and finese far greater than I could do over beer.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-26-2003, 06:24 PM   #10
Erik
The more the merrier.

I helped out with this site and figured they needed some video clips. I sent an email off to Bujin Design, asked permission, and we got the following:

http://www.aikidopv.com/gallery.html

Sure it's straight off their site but they are both ASU so no matter.

I, in your shoes, would dial up someone in my upline and get permission to use some Yamada, Chiba, or whomever clips. The problem with doing your own is getting them done well. If you have that capability then go for it but most don't.

In my not so humble opinion, organizations should provide this sort of marketing material to their member dojos as a standard practice.

Last edited by Erik : 01-26-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:39 PM   #11
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Rachel Massey (rachmass) wrote:
how bout from an "average joe" or joey?
My personal opinion, fwiw, would be to view the clips with a critical eye for proper technique. Maybe get a third party to review them too.

With the way the internet is nowadays, you don't want video of a technique where you snagged a toe in your hakama slipping out.

I cringe every time I see myself on video. I think I can spot a dozen flaws right away.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-26-2003, 06:43 PM   #12
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Louis A. Sharpe, Jr. (lt-rentaroo) wrote:
Hello,

Greg - How you been? Congratulations on Nidan (please forgive the belated congrats). Take Care!
Hi Louis, I've been well, but very busy. Myers Sensei, OTOH, is recovering from a knee injury.

Thank you for the nidan congrats. No problem with the belated part. I haven't been exactly advertising the promotion; I'm doubt too many people know.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #13
lt-rentaroo
Greg,

Please give my well wishes to Myers Sensei. Knee injuries are no fun at all. Take Care!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:18 PM   #14
Greg Jennings
United_States
Roger the no fun. I'll pass your well wishes along.

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-26-2003, 11:50 PM   #15
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I think that clips of Yamada, Ikeda and Chiba are interesting, but do not replace clips of people from the dojo (if you have the technology to create those). If we get too caught up in what technique is supposed to be, then we become unwilling (and unable) to see what our technique is actually like. We also project an image to interested people that our own AiKiDo isn't worthwhile or beautiful, implying (by the way) that theirs won't be either.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 01-27-2003, 05:13 AM   #16
rachmass
Dear Opher,

Thanks for your comments about the Shihan versus the folks in the dojo; it really does make sense!

best,

Rachel
Old 01-27-2003, 06:45 AM   #17
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
I don't think putting up videos would be tacky. If they are well made (as has already been mentioned above) movie clips would be helpful.

When I think of tacky I think of those MIDI clips that pop in without justification (is there ever?) and hurtful color choices of font and background.

You know what would be cool that I haven't seen yet would be clips of kids classes. I learn a lot sometimes just watching my son's class.

Kevin.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:56 AM   #18
ross_l
Dojo: Genyokan
The more video clips out there the better! I love to watch Aikido in action from all different styles.

I didn't have any problems viewing the Aikido of Cheyenne video clips with Real Player. They are all very nice.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:34 AM   #19
rachmass
well, I was going to place one video clip in my site and ask people to look at it and see what they think, but apparently I can't do it with Microsoft Frontpage, so all these questions were for naught. Thank you all for your input anyway!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:26 AM   #20
lt-rentaroo
Mr. Lewandowski,

Thank you for the positive comments regarding the video clips on my site. Take Care!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:55 AM   #21
rachmass
I wish I had been able to see all your clips, but the one Mr. Sharpe sent to me was very nicely presented (too bad it wasn't a little longer though). Thank you for sending it via email.

all the best,

Rachel
Old 01-27-2003, 08:56 AM   #22
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
I don't think it's tacky at all. Personally, I love to watch Aikido videos....and ones from regular people are really cool to watch. I mean, watching the "big guns" is great too, but not very realistic for ME at my level.

And I had no problem viewing the Aikido of Cheyenne clips. They were excellent quality and fun to watch!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 01-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #23
rachmass
well, if you want to see a brief clip, maybe I can put one into this site, just for fun.

I couldn't get into the Aikido of Cheyenne video site, but something might be screwed up on my computer.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:56 AM   #24
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Thank you all for the nice comments regarding the video clips on my site. I kept the clips short because of size, I only have 10MB of web space to use and the video clips consume over half of that.

I suppose I could create a couple extra e-mail IDs through my e-mail client and then use the web space that goes with the e-mail ID to add more video clips (I'm able to create up to 6 e-mail accounts, each with 10 MB of web space). Hey, that's not a bad idea. Hmmmm.....

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:38 AM   #25
Erik
Rachel, putting the clip on the site is easy. Just ftp the file to your server and link directly to the file. If you put it in your main directory the link would be:

<a href="fileName.mov">See Rachel's Movie</a>

I don't use Front Page but it can certainly do this.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!