Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
Grasshopper
Dojo: Caulfield
New Students

Just got onto Aikiweb yesterday at work... Absolutely brilliant, if you ask me

I've only been training for a year so far, and what inspired me to join was my (now!) fiance and I seeing a martial arts demonstration at uni, and just going "WOW" during the aikido presentation. Most of my training has been at the uni, so at the start of every semester, zillions of students join up, and only 5 or so live the semester out with at most 2 of them returning after the break.

Does this happen at "normal" dojos? Don't get me wrong, the aerobics hall where we train is as much "dojo" to me as the other dojo with the sliding doors and permanent mats, I'm just curious as to how other dojos integrate rank beginners, and whether there seems to be a "season" for them.

Yoroshiku!

"Respect your elders. Take care of your juniors."
Old 01-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Diana!

Some time ago there was a discussion concerning what percentage of new students that hang around until they reach shodan. Many voted 1 percent or less.

In the dojo I go to, now and then new students appear. Some come for free training once or twice - a few enroll, and not many stick around for a year or longer.

Usually we get the most new students in august / september just when new kids move to the city to go to the university, but we allow new students all around the year.

We don't do a special program for beginners. We just take good care of them during class

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 01-23-2003, 03:58 AM   #3
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
For some students, it appears that if their friends stop, they tend to stop. (many people are to afraid to start a martial art on their own). Maybe an increased social aspect to aikido can prevent this?

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 01-27-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Grasshopper
Dojo: Caulfield
Quote:
it appears that if their friends stop, they tend to stop.
Curiously enough, at the start of last semester, most of the new students joined up on their own, and they stuck it through... But true enough, the ones who joined with a friend only came with that friend.

The university dojo doesn't run any social events for the aikido club, probably because the one of the two sensei is also the National Secretary for Aikikai Australia, and the other is a high school English teacher I wonder if they would be interested if I offered to organise social events for our budding aikidoka - I'd love to get more involved (guilt for not coming to practise for a few months ) in that sense.

Or I could promote Aikiweb to them

Thanks for the great idea!

- Grasshopper

"Respect your elders. Take care of your juniors."

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.