Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-16-2003, 01:04 PM   #51
paw
Huge appreciation for Messrs. Linden and Modesto's candor and honesty.

Regards,

Paul
Old 01-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #52
Talon

Dojo: Aikido Tenchi Dojo
Canada
Erik Haselhofer,

Wery interesting article. Thanks for the link. By the way, thanks for all the responces to my post.

Please dont confuse my posts about Aikido's ineffectiveness as my beliefs about our art. They were simply "if", "then" statements leading to discussion on the topic.

Respectfully,

Paul
Old 01-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #53
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I feel two ways about all of this:

1. Crap, you mean I'm busting my @ss in the dojo nightly just so I can get cracked by a low grade boxer and not be able to do anything about it?

2. So what. 'nother Guiness please...

But seriously folks, What can we do? Go around challenging boxers to see if we get beat? Worry about it all the time so it ruins our practice? Cross train in different arts till my wife kicks me out of the house?

For myself, I have to accept that I won't win the Championship or beat the boxer or get down to 1% body fat or whatever (where's that Guiness anyway..?). I practice Aikido because I can't imagine not doing so. I practice it with martial intent becuase, well because women and men whom I respect with vastly more experience that I tell me I should. I don't get into "Well if it isn't going to work then why..." cuz that would drive me nutso.

I too appreciate this discussion: so much different than the usual aikido vs. whatever training method etc.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #54
Diablo
Dojo: International Aikido Association
Of course, everybody will believe what they want to believe, but their have been many reports of him being a wife-beater and generally an arrogant person and being to rough with the extras on his movie sets. I have seen these interviews, but you could say they said it to get their 10 minutes of fame. Everybody has heard the stories about Gene Labelle choking him out and him pooping in his pants. Quote from Black Belt Magazine: "There are other stories of LeBell's prowess circulating around the martial arts community, including the time on a movie set that he reportedly sneaked up behind a noted actor and black belt and choked out the gentleman, allegedly causing the film star to lose sphincter control." http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/halloffame/html/163.html

You may even question his Budhism. Why do some point this out. There are several "devout" Christian movie stars (and NFL footbal players) that screw up left and right and are in the papers regularly.

Nobody is perfect, we are all human and have made mistakes we are not proud of. If anything, I have yet to see an actor do what he did for Aikido as Chuck Norris did for Karate.

Diablo
Old 01-17-2003, 03:43 AM   #55
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
Huge appreciation for Messrs. Linden and Modesto's candor and honesty.

Regards,

Paul
Agreed. On the other hand, K Chiba entered the Aikikai Hombu as a live-in deshi when the Founder was aged 72, clearly well past his physical prime. To judge from the interviews on AJ and other sites, this 20-year old, pretty well-versed in how to attack, was completely overwhelmed by the experience of trying to attack, and take uke, for O Sensei. Or is Chiba Shihan romanticizing about his experiences?

I agree entirely on the need for senior instructors to be honest about their abilities, to keep in shape, and to train sufficiently that they can handle their own students who cross-train and attack hard.

But I do not believe in throwing the baby out with the bath water, which seems to be the general tenour of where this thread has wandered to. If aikidoists are generally past it by the age of 40 in any case, then perhaps we need rules and weight categories.

Yours sincerely,

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-17-2003, 04:20 AM   #56
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury (Peter Goldsbury) wrote:
If aikidoists are generally past it by the age of 40 in any case, then perhaps we need rules and weight categories.
Some of the best players in Competitive Aikido are past 40, and there are no weight categories.

I also personally know a number of superbly conditioned Aikidoists that would give your average boxer a run for his money - in fact if all the guy does is box I pity the boxer.

There is an old saying. Before you take on an old man find out what sort of young man he was. I have the strange feeling that Chiba or Nariyama for instance would finish something long before youthful stamina had a chance to make a difference.

Now last night I spent 30 minutes doing Judo randori with a 16 year old. He was good but I dominated in the beginning, by the end I was dog meat. On the ground gasping for breath (over 40) I kept thinking I should have throated him when I had the chance. Then I smiled, got up and got tossed some more. I do Budo for pleasure.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-17-2003, 08:47 AM   #57
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Peter Rhese:

Bingo!

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-17-2003, 09:06 AM   #58
Young-In Park
"Are you OK?"

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury (Peter Goldsbury) wrote:
If aikidoists are generally past it by the age of 40 in any case, then perhaps we need rules and weight categories.
Again, if someone wanted to learn how to shoot a gun, they would go to a shooting range. After classroom instruction, they would practice shooting at targets. Although it isn't even a close approximation of a lethal force encounter, presumably they are learning how to operate their gun and marksmanship.

After practicing things such as front sight, sight alignment, trigger pull and trigger reset, they can employ their skills in more "realisitic" scenarios.

Even after 2000+ rounds, I'm still working on the trigger pull with my finger.

But, apparently for reasons beyond my limited comprehension, some people in Aikido do their techniques with, in my opinion, too much speed and strength. And in Aikido, you're moving more body parts than just your finger...

Some people don't bother actually learning the technique (ie mechanics and purpose) and rely too much on their physical prowess. They seem to equate slamming their uke on to the mat as hard as possible as being "martial."

Why are some people so quick to criticize the way Aikido is practiced? A common complaint is that Aikido attacks are "not realistic."

If the logic of learning how to shoot isn't enough, I suggest playing catch with a five year old. Take the ball and throw it at the child as hard as you can - because in "real life," nobody is going to count to three and throw underhanded at a slow speed.

The child (or target) will never catch the ball nor learn to catch it. But those fortunate enough to have people patient enough through the painfully slow developmental period of learning to catch a ball can now catch a ball thrown at them. Even if the ball is thrown at a different angle or speed, the catcher can make the appropriate adjustments without emotional exertion.

What happens when you lose your physical strength? Instead of bothering to actually take the time to learn the techniques, we could always institute artificial props, such as "rules and weight categories."

I was unfortunate enough to read Terry Dobson's experience attacking Ueshiba. Apparently he decided to "test" him and attacked full speed. After arriving on the mat faster than before, Ueshiba asked him, "Are you OK?"

About a year ago, I went to a Saotome seminar. When I had the opportunity to attack him, I decided to "test" him (and I wonder why people always tell me I'm disrespectful towards elders...). After literally falling flat on my face, he bent over and asked me, "Are you OK?"

I was at reunion-like seminar recently. And I was literally hunting down a Seidokan 6th dan on the mat. Other people told me he was really good, so I wanted to test him (ettiqute and respect?). After attacking harder didn't work, I tried to counter him. After reversing my counters and throwing me around, he got tired of "playing" with me. He wanted to talk to his old friends.

Come to think of it, there should be "rules" - rules to protect innocent and inexperienced Aikidoka from the evil clutches of the elderly and accomplished shihans and senseis.

YoungIn Park
Old 01-17-2003, 12:03 PM   #59
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
This thread has produced some very quotable material; almost as good as Haper's Index. Thanks, all, and especially Mr. Carbone for starting it!
Quote:
Matt Rice (MattRice) wrote:
I feel two ways about all of this:

1. Crap, you mean I'm busting my @ss in the dojo nightly just so I can get cracked by a low grade boxer and not be able to do anything about it?

2. So what. 'nother Guiness please...
Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
rofl
Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
I spent 30 minutes doing Judo randori with a 16 year old. He was good but I dominated in the beginning, by the end I was dog meat. On the ground gasping for breath (over 40) I kept thinking I should have throated him when I had the chance.
Deja vu.
Quote:
Young-In Park wrote:
Even after 2000+ rounds, I'm still working on the trigger pull with my finger...But, apparently for reasons beyond my limited comprehension, some people in Aikido do their techniques with, in my opinion, too much speed and strength. And in Aikido, you're moving more body parts than just your finger...
Intimations of Zeno's paradox here.
Quote:
Young-In Park wrote:
Take the ball and throw it at the child as hard as you can - because in "real life," nobody is going to count to three and throw underhanded at a slow speed...The child (or target) will never catch the ball nor learn to catch it.
Good for children and beginners, and then?

Thanks, again.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-17-2003, 12:17 PM   #60
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
And I was literally hunting down a Seidokan 6th dan on the mat.
Just out of curiosity...who was it?

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-17-2003, 01:01 PM   #61
Ron Tisdale
United_States
Re: "Are you OK?"

Quote:
Young-In Park wrote:
Come to think of it, there should be "rules" - rules to protect innocent and inexperienced Aikidoka from the evil clutches of the elderly and accomplished shihans and senseis.

YoungIn Park
Funny, I just posted a similar story on ebudo not too long ago....

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...7&pagenumber=2

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-29-2003, 07:39 AM   #62
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
Been a while since that post a couple weeks ago, but I'm back and would like to comment on all the insight.

Thanks Peter, Don, and others for the understanding. I've spent thirty years training in aikido and not a week goes by I don't wonder why I still do it. Mornings getting out of bed, trying to pick up dropped pencils - you know the drill.

I believe what I said in that earlier post, but you must read it carefully. I never said that all shihans were unable to stop a boxer, I know I could myself because I train for it. Probably Mike could, but really a pro is just that, a pro. I was refering to professional athletes - and old men and women, and that there are reasons why there are no old pro athletes. Real, honest to god reasons that have to do with milage and distance on the body.

Aikido helps me get out of bed. I spent last weekend with twenty five godan and rokudans training in aikido under Saotome Sensei. They were all marvelous, amazing people who are vital and healthy and can move like people over fifty usually can't. Aikido keeps us all moving and healthy. Isn't that reason enough to keep training? That we get to perform majic is just one of the cupcakes in the big picnic.

And really, I can't remember the last time I really had to 'defend' myself - for all we receive from training, at this point, it is simply not relevant. The point was - again - that we tend to mythologize senseis when the truth is that most are very good at what they train, but that very few train at fighting. So Segal might have actually been beaten...

Let me ask a question here. Do you think he could stay with your average Ranger platoon, Force Recon Squad or Seal Team for one mornings work? Really. I think perspective is necessary when dealing with anyone who is highly trained in a very narrow field.

"To come into accord with that part of God which flows through all things..."

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 01-29-2003, 09:37 PM   #63
Misogi-no-Gyo
amazing!

Greetings to all!

I have only just now come to this thread, and could not possibly address all of the individual erroneous material found in the posts, and associated "news" material found in the posted links. Since brevity may serve me better here - I will forego trying to clear up what none will chose to believe anyway.

...anyway, having been there through all of it, and knowing all the players quite well - including many who were with Seagal since the late 70's, several fellow aikidoka from our dojo who served as both his personal assistants and macrobiotic cook during the years of 1991 to 1999, knowing other unmentionable parties, along with being either on the set, or having my close senpai & kohai be on the set for all of the movies since above the law... I could say much to plainly portray each and every one of these events as I know them to have occurred. However, nobody really wants to know the truth. I say this because what really happened is really rather BORING! Except where it isn't, and then nobody would believe it even if I had it on film (a-la the Zapruder film and associated evidence and the idiotic conclusion that Lee Harvey Oswald was the sole triggerman to ice JFK)

Now on the other hand, the aikido - at that time, at least, really was something!

<rant>
In all these years, having traveled incognito to many dojos outside of our former and current affiliation, I have only ever heard two things on the mat from various students and even some high-profile instructors. The first thing I would hear would be about how bad of an aikidoka he was, how his movies were bad for aikido, and his "public" persona was detracting from how great the art really was. This all from person's who had never met him directly, nor trained with any of his senior students. The second thing I would hear is the sound of a student's black belt falling to the ground, just previous to declarations of "I wasted ten years learning impractical dance moves, and now I must start over." This from handfuls of students who finally did have the chance to meet and train with him and his senior students.
</rant>

Here is the one truth I will leave you with...

"Believe half of what you see, and NONE of what you hear or read." for just as in aikido, if you don't have a direct experience of it 9read - feel it), you will never learn what the teacher really is doing up there.

Aren't you glad I was "brief?"

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:59 AM   #64
locknthrow
Well this may not be the place but in case you didn't know a new Seagal film came out straight to video called the "Foreigner". It's ok but the action is mostly shooting. There was one scene that had a good kotegaeshi and yonkyo in though I think it was about 5 seconds long. Not many fight scenes.

To the above poster: What happened that we wouldn't believe? What's the harm in telling?n
Old 01-30-2003, 03:53 AM   #65
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
He was in Kuala Lumpur recently shooting a film, was that the one?

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:56 AM   #66
Ron Tisdale
United_States
Shaun,

Even if most people don't believe you, if the truth comes out, at least it has a chance. If you say nothing, then nothing can change.

Please tell us what you know...

Sincerely,

Ron Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-31-2003, 12:01 AM   #67
locknthrow
To Ahmad:

No its probably not the same movie all of this one was in Europe
Old 01-31-2003, 07:32 AM   #68
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Let me say this and then I will leave it alone. For supposedly compassionate people many Aikido adherents are judgmental as hell. I do not know Mr. Segal personally but we did attend the same seminars years ago. I have had at least one student leave my camp after gaining his shodan and join Mr. Segal's group the next day. At the same time opening his own dojo. All the better for me in the long run and I understand he was ousted from Mr. Segal's group not long thereafter and went to the AAA. I have promoted at least one of Mr. Sagal's ex-students to shodan and he was a wonderful old man. I got the better deal for sure. I don't like his movies so I do not watch them. His personal strengths and weaknesses are his battle they do not affect me or cause an effect on my actions or life. I am glad my personal life is not so public as his. I am older and I believe I manage my life and my words with a great deal more tact that Mr. Segal showed in his early Hollywood days but that is his business. I know some cigar smoking, whiskey guzzling whoremongering Aikido ideals who would have faired much worse in the public limelight had the public had any interest in them. You know what ? In reality none of this has any meaningful impact on my life and so it does not hurt me one bit to be compassionate and tolerant and non judgmental. \

Dennis Hooker

www.shindai.com

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 01-31-2003, 09:20 AM   #69
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Hear Hear Mr Hooker!!

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 02-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #70
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai
I would like to have sensei segal conduct a seminar at suffolk aikikai with the permission of my instructor respectfully if anyone knows how to relay this info please do so and reply to me.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:21 PM   #71
PeterR

Japan
Daniel did we meet - I think we did. I tried to visit your dojo each time I was at the BNL. Please give my regards to Gene and Debbie.

The dojo is one of those gems.
Quote:
Daniel Blanco wrote:
I would like to have sensei segal conduct a seminar at suffolk aikikai with the permission of my instructor respectfully if anyone knows how to relay this info please do so and reply to me.

Old 02-03-2003, 02:52 AM   #72
Misogi-no-Gyo
Truth, or not.

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Shaun,

Even if most people don't believe you, if the truth comes out, at least it has a chance. If you say nothing, then nothing can change.

Please tell us what you know...

Sincerely,

Ron Tisdale
Mr. Tisdale, having once taken on the role as dojo video and photo archivist, historian and editor-in-chief of "AIKIDO" the Dojo Newsletter Magazine for (the still closed) Aikido Tenshin Dojo, I took a keen interest in keeping close tabs on all of these stories, both from the viewpoint of the key inside players (and person's who were very close to them,) and of course, the press with their goal of simply selling whatever rubbish they were peddling at the time.

When you combine the "quick to condemn" tongues and deep-seeded resentment - on so many levels - by many (high ranking) in the aikido community, the supposed ramblings by his ex-wive(s) "overheard" by "nameless sources" and the "sickness" that is anything related to the sycophantic nature of producers, their underlings and the uncontrollable penchant of wanna-be-famous, stuntmen, etc. in Hollywood, and add to that the troll-like leeches so aptly called "the press" with their complete lack of human dignity when dealing with any news-worthy individual's feelings, or their family members, or anyone's personal or professional reputation for that matter -- irrespective of what is true - simply to sell more papers or magazines, then factor in the gullible nature of 99 percent of the people in this world who actually believe that the dribble they read in their local papers, or see on CNN is "unbiased" reporting, so much so that they huddle around water coolers each day arguing over which version of the crap they read is more believable, and about what "they" would do, if ever they found themselves in someone else's shoes, and you have a fairly good chance of understanding why when it is in regards to Steven Seagal, Truth (with a capitol "T") has no real place, on the mat, or off.

Funny thing: I have read, and sometimes even posted the actual happenings of these events in past years only to be finding myself laughing out loud at the next individual's uneducated "opinion" based upon comments he or she had read in some magazine article or had seen on the E! True Hollywood Story.

Funny thing: I was contacted by the producers of that pitiful sham of a show because they were trying to add one more insult on to their list - that Seagal had not actually been promoted to 7th Dan, i.e. that he had embellished that part of his resume, as well.

Funny thing: I provided them of the exact date, along with the names of everyone who was with him at the time he received his Dan Certificate directly from Kishomaru Doshu, while training in the private training facilities at Honbu Dojo. The pictures of him bowing as he received it from the Doshu's hands were quite convincingly realistic.

Funny thing: When I offered to check their "facts" before they aired the show, they declined. Their loss. However who really lost was Seagal, himself, along with every single person who watched that show thinking they had the "True" Holywood Story. They got the Hollywood story, all right. Do you actually think that someone would green light a tell-all documentary on the crap Seagal has had to put up with from ass-kissing, little mamas boys, and their silicone-carting, rhino-plasticized sidekicks with the whitened teeth? I mean these are the same people that year after year pay Joan Rivers and her brainwashed daughter to get up on an international platform and belittle actors and actresses, on the most nerve-racking day of their lives -- when they are being judged on their "talent" as actors, if you can believe the silliness in that -- for how they choose to dress. Not that Mr. Seagal ever faired any better in that regard, as we have seen from some of the colorful posts regarding his choice of "garb-de-jure." On this very website.

He should receive ten dollars for every person that had to sit through that re-hashed heap of trash, most of which was simply false -- at best! As a matter of protocol, the money should be pried from the cold, dead hands of the reporters, cameramen, editors, script writers, and most of all the PRODUCERS of such folly.

To think, all this from someone who left Seagal's organization as it took its last breath in 1997. I am not defending him, for he does not need it, does not ask for it, and will not benefit from it in any way.

Just for the record, Tenshin Bugei Gakuen & Aikido Tenshin Dojo was closed in1997 by Matsuoka Sensei for reasons that shall remain private. Many people posting on various websites have speculated as to why, but have only repeated "information" that we posted on the websites of our affiliates. I mention this because the truth behind that story has also been so twisted by those hoping to maximize their profits upon our exit. FOR THE RECORD - Anyone that makes claims of "rising from the ashes of" or "continuing to spread the spirit and belief of" Tenshin Bugei Gakuen or Aikido Tenshin Dojo - or the best one, "teaching the techniques of "Tenshin Aikido," something that never existed when the dojo was opened, should be viewed with about as much credibility as the peddlers of the aforementioned E! malarkey.

There is simply one reason why the B.S. continues to be king, while the truth lies buried by the side of the road without a head stone -- "You can't handle the truth!"

I have wanted to use that line since I heard it from Mr. Nicholson.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #73
Suru
United_States
I've heard that some shihan refer to him as "Steven Seagull." Kinda funny I think.

Drew
Old 02-03-2003, 07:38 PM   #74
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai
thanks for your reply peter i will say hi to gene/deb for you. I am currently going for my fourth Q Test,any advice. how long have you been training. Still would like to see a seminar with Sensei Segal. Let me know if you are ever in NY.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:17 PM   #75
PeterR

Japan
Quote:
Daniel Blanco wrote:
thanks for your reply peter i will say hi to gene/deb for you. I am currently going for my fourth Q Test,any advice. how long have you been training. Still would like to see a seminar with Sensei Segal. Let me know if you are ever in NY.
Good luck on the test - all I can say is breath and take your time.

Training in Aikido? Only about 8 years.

Frankly speaking your dojo is quite small and I would think that SS when he does give seminars prefers a larger venue. Cost might be a problem also but that is just a guess. In any case I am not Aikikai so I guess your sensei would have a clearer idea.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com