Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
taras
United Kingdom
Question something to look forward to for beginners

My dojo has been running for 4 years now. So far it has been a place for a few people to practice Aikido, Ju-Jutsu and pretty much anything we could teach each other.

Several new students recently joined the class; and following a recent article in our local paper there may be more coming. Everyone is happy about it but there is something I keep thinking about and I was wondering if anyone here had something to say. I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Now, our dojo has never had a belt system, most of the students had graded in other places. But I thought there should be something for the beginners to look forward to, to motivate then to train. So, apart from the belt system, what do you think can be offered to them?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #2
Chris Birke
I think testing for belts is stupid, but testing for testing's sake is cool. That's always a fun thing to look forwards to and train for.

(I think belts should come through competition btw, such that they mean something practical. - Spirtually, you can't give someone a belt test. That'd just be silly.)

I also think weird training days are cool, ie monday is a situation day where you will be randomly attacked during class. Stuff like that. Inventive and creative!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:07 AM   #3
James Giles
Dojo: North Florida Aikikai
United_States
As a beginner myself (I started training in Aikido five months ago), I can tell you what motivates me, and perhaps the same will motivate your beginning students.

My dojo is pretty small, and there are really no beginner classes. The first few weeks I spent time on one side of the mat working on forward and reverse rolls, but from day one, I was allowed to work out with the advanced students practicing techniques (although they were a little gentle on me) in which I could safely be thrown or immobilized (kotegaeshi, ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, iriminage, shihonage etc.).

Since I was allowed to play the role of uke, as well as nage from day one, I was able to experience first-hand, the awesome power and just the overall "magic" of Aikido techniques.

I fell in love with Aikido on day one because I realized that it was indeed a devastating martial art, yet could be practiced in a way that is relatively safe.

In my opinion, this is all it takes to motivate a beginner. Perform a good ikkyo ura on them on the first day, and let them experience that feeling of being caught up in the midst of a tornado or a hurricane.

Once they get rolls down, give them the priveledge of practicing kaitenage or udekeminage. Once they get breakfalls down, reward them with the privelege of being able to work on koshinage and other harder throws with the other students. I agree with Chris Birke, a belt is insignificant. The real motivator is the desire to attain the priveledge of learning more and more advanced techniques.

The past couple of weeks, we have been practicing bokken kumitachi. My sensei is going to take his Nidan test soon, and he has given me the priveledge to work out with the class on these techniques. It is a blast. Maybe you could offer beginners in your dojo a chance to work out with bokken or jo staff after a few months of training. That may motivate them also. I know it works on me!

James
Old 02-07-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
bogglefreak20
Dojo: Ki dojo
Slovenia
I train in Ki Aikido and in our dojo we have a "newbie-period" of about 4-6 months depending on...well, our sensei's mind. By this "newbie-period" I mean that in this time they don't do any techniques or anything like that.

They listen to sensei explaining about "The Point", centredness, Ki, etc. They also do rolls and breakfalls and a lot of Ki tests like the unbendable arm and so forth. All of that means that they either grow tired, bored and leave only to never come back or continue coming to the trainings growing with anticipation about Ki Aikido. You can see it in their eyes; they're all: "Oh, maybe today's the day. Maybe today we start with the techniques!"

Sooner or later they do. Then again, some leave and never return, because there's not enough "action" going on, while others continue to come to the trainings.

What is it that motivates a newbie? Don't have a clue. In my case it was partly the general atmosphere - I always felt I belonged there, even when I was a complete rookie, nobody ever gave me the feeling that I shouldn't be there. Then there is our sensei who, when explaining "the theory" always gives colourful examples from everyday life, mostly about himself, and we all laugh at them together. And, again, this whole Ki idea makes me want to get to know it better. But mostly it's just fun doing it.

Beatus Qui Venit In Nomine Domini!
Old 02-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
I know how some systems don't use belts and I understand the good and bad of it. One motivating factor, however, is evidence of progress.

With the absence of colored belts, a dojo could still have a traditional ranking system where names are posted on the wall showing what kyu rank they are at. Certificates can be awarded to those passing their tests and names will rise up the progress of the board.

Like James was saying also, training from day one helps keep interest. Its one thing to have a beginners class with rolling and such being taught, but to train with yudansha also helps to motivate kyu's toward wanting to "be like Mike!" or something. (In this case, Mike Cervantes, not Jordan. Nidan AAA from my Dojo... he's good!) After first joining up a couple years ago, I learned alot from him and my Sensei. If I gain half of their skill in aikido, I'll be very impressed and have no doubt in my abilities.

So... to sum up:

Rank board

Certificates

Training with excellent students and yudansha

That should do it, imho.

Old 02-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Rachael

Dojo: Hallamshire, Sheffield
I think a rank board and certificates are a good idea, especially if you don't have coloured belts/coloured tags. Working towards being allowed a weapons session is also another good idea.

As James Giles wrote, when I first started in Akikido I was the only beginner there, as my dojo is pretty small. I'm also the only woman there,but that's another matter... LOL!

One of the things that made me fall in love with Aikido was being able to do all the 'cool' difficult techniques right from the start. I spent most of my time on my first few weeks at Aikido learning breakfalls and rolls, but I was also allowed to join in with what some of the other students were doing and also train with the Yudansha, which is a big motivating factor IMO.

Shodan, Shotokan karate & 6th kyu Aikido

"The brave do not live forever, but the timid do not live at all."
Old 02-08-2004, 08:01 AM   #7
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Training with yudansha was a big thrill, feeling my first kotegaeshi received from a nidan and then going home to look up what this wondrous techniuque was that forced me into a high breakfall when I didnt know how (and also didnt injure me). Feeling it again a few weeks later from a visiting yondan cemented my feelings for aikido. I was also lucky in that I was chucked in with my sempai after a few weeks and they were (and still are) great to me. Being allowed to teach other beginners now and again also made me feel as if I had some worth to the dojo.

I definately think there should be a kyu grading system, not a coloured belt one which I dislike a lot, kyu grades do offer a motivator at first.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:30 AM   #8
bolaji olayinka
aikidokas are not good. even the aikiweb that i taught that will help me a lot even made things more worse than i taught. i have been trying to get in touch with at least one aikidoka but to no avail. aikido is fucked up and aikidokas themselves are not taught how to relate to new people.

olayinka
Old 02-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #9
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Its a shame you feel that way olayinka.

I have to disagree with you. I found my first sessions at my aikido club fantastic. The atmosphere is friendly and non-judgemental.

Can you be more specific as to what is bothering you?

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!