Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-05-2003, 01:21 AM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 5fefe62c
Anonymous User
Aikido VS supervillans???

Hi all,

I was just wondering how well you think Aikido would work against supervillans such as Sabertooth, Magneto or the Juggernaut from x-men or the green goblin or dr octopus from spiderman?
Do you think it would be effective if you were attacked by one of these supervillans in the street?

p.s. yes I am being sarcastic.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:21 AM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Well if you managed to knock the Green Goblin off his skateboard as he is grabbing you, and then as you're falling down, deliver a tremendous punch through the hole in his mask, before he beats the shit out of you with his super-powered mechanical suit, then you will most likely knock him out, take the suit, and then you'll stand a much better chance against the rest of the guys.

Thank you, I'll be here till Tuesday, try the veal.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:50 AM   #3
akiy

This thread has been moved from the Anonymous forum to the Humor forum.

Please note that the Anonymous forum is intended for "delicate" subject matters for which people have a need or want to keep their identities from being revealed. I encourage people to keep this in mind before starting a thread in the Anonymous forum.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-05-2003, 09:26 AM   #4
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
One question... could I be a superhero that knows Aikido? So at least I could be at least under par with these superfreaks.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 01-17-2003, 01:25 PM   #5
Grasshopper
Dojo: Caulfield
Don't know about these fancy American type supervillans, but the title character from the manga and anime <i>Rurouni Kenshin</i> whose swordsmanship seems to apply aikido techniques to defeat his enemies...

Being rather short and slight, Kenshin relies on his God-like speed to get himself off the line of his enemies' attacks, and only fights to subdue his opponents, not to kill.

Come to think of it, isn't it more cruel to leave your opponents - who relied on their mad killing skillz to support themselves - crippled and forever unable to wield a sword again than to mercifully put them out of their misery?

Yoroshiku!

"Respect your elders. Take care of your juniors."
Old 01-23-2003, 11:57 AM   #6
Mike
Aikido should be effective on the ones that are mostlly human, like Batman, Magnito, Lex Luther, or The Punisher, even the Invisable Woman but you'd only be able to use Ki to find her. Mr. Fantastic would have a large advantage as he basicaly has no bones or joints, and he may be able to move his center making it dificult to effect. Anything involving grabing wouldn't work on Shadowcat as she's intangable, but you could irimi right through her. Aikido would work fine on Nightcralwer until he teleported behind you. It is posable that the super strong like Jugernaut and Kingpin still have the same physical range of motion and pressure points, so Aikido would work if size realy doesn't mater. You could develop an Aikido to deal with Alien lifeforms, but it may be very diferant than what you would use on an earthling. Just as a side note, Iceman could have great unbendable arm, he can turn it into a block of ice....

This was fun.... hehehe

Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto
Old 02-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #7
Eila Saarni

What about Vicious from Cowboy Bebop?? he's pretty evil and he as a katana
Old 02-21-2003, 09:35 PM   #8
Mark Burns
what if a they taught a monkey to do aikido.

you know! like that chimp who does kempo karate
Old 02-22-2003, 07:38 PM   #9
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
Quote:
Mark Burns wrote:
what if a they taught a monkey to do aikido.

you know! like that chimp who does kempo karate
You mean Chuck Norris??

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 02-23-2003, 12:38 PM   #10
Mark Burns
hehehe!
Old 02-27-2003, 11:46 PM   #11
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
On the more serious side of this thread (if there ever was one)---I'm glad you mentioned Rurouni Kenshin, Diana! It's one of my all-time favourite animes, particularly because of how the character of Kenshin exemplifies the spirit of Aikido---not only in his swordsmanship, but in his dialogue with his enemies. In a lot of cases, he initially refrains from fighting in favour of first trying to reason with his attackers to resolve the situation without violence.

And of course there's his reverse-blade sword, the sakabatou, which is only sharp on the inside while being blunt on the outside to merely subdue the bad guys as you mentioned. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I've always had a strong feeling that the sakabatou was a symbol for the penance he was doing for having once been a ruthless killer. There is obviously a large risk one takes in fighting with the cutting edge of the sword facing oneself; by willingly taking this risk, it seems as though Kenshin is turning pain unto himself internally instead of onto others. This seems to manifest later in the series when you hear other main characters say that he's always taking everything upon his own shoulders instead of sharing the burden with them.

But I digress...

On a lighter note, I'm still having a good chuckle about "Chimp Norris".
Old 03-03-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
Gregafer
another good anime is trigun. in one episode the main character Vash takes off his shirt to reveal the hiddeous scarring he endures for attempting to leave all his opponents with mere flesh wounds and not kill. although vash uses a gun and I can't find any symbolism in that.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:28 PM   #13
Eila Saarni

Oh what about Ryoga from Ranma 1/2? He's mainly open hand combat, kickie 'n punchie style a fun mix
Old 03-26-2003, 10:13 AM   #14
Mark Burns
what about motoko chan from love hina. she is a samurai, and tou get to see her boobs
Old 03-30-2003, 07:45 AM   #15
Sven Groot

Dojo: Shi Zen Ryu, Leiden
Aoyama Motoko is one of my favourite anime characters!!! Although I have never much cared for such 'fanservice' as you mention.

One of these days I must learn to do a Zanmaken ni-no-tachi. In a way it's the ultimate aikido technique, destroying only the evil.

Other than that I'd hardly call Motoko a budoka, much less a samurai. She may have extreme sword-skills, but while her fanclub (those three girls, I forget their names) is always going on about her inner-calm, in truth I think she's way too easily excited, and nearly always overreacts. But then again, that's the purpose of her character!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:40 PM   #16
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Ah fans of Rouronin Kenshin!

Have you seen his 2nd movie? I cried when he died in each others arms.

Actually, Batman, Daredevil and Iron fist are some examples of above average humans who use their extraordinary martial abilities to defeat supervillains.

I have one comic about wolverine and his trip to Japan, where he had met up with his old flame. He got his butt kicked by the old man who wielded a bokken notwithstanding his mutant powers and reflex.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:36 AM   #17
Shelley
Cool Mmm I wonder

I don't think Aikido will work against Ultimacia or Sephiroth though. In fact, not against ANYONE who can cast Ultima...

All men can fly. But, only to one direction.

Love
Shelley
Old 06-15-2003, 01:35 PM   #18
Kyri Honigh
Dojo: Aikido Curacao
Hmmmm, your post have really inspired me..Why should I train to defeat mere uke, when iI can rumble with mutants with unbreakable skeleton like Wolvie?Rogue would be a challenge though, because wshe could suck my ki away with a mere touch.Oh and when I tried to AMAKAKERU RYU NO HIRAMEKI my sensei, after the miss the vacuum pulled him to me!!!But then I got put in an ikyo ura...sigh. Sensei: baka deshi!!
Old 06-15-2003, 01:36 PM   #19
Kyri Honigh
Dojo: Aikido Curacao
Damn sorry about the typo's!!!LOl, have been up watching Rurouni kenshin all night!!hehe
Old 07-05-2003, 01:46 PM   #20
Usagi Yojimbo
Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Well, most supervillains/heros would still lay waste to you, Juggernaught is unstoppable by definition so have fun getting squished, Dr. Octopus, yeah right, that many arms? No way you'll get him, Magneto, kiss your metal wrapped butt goodbye, Green Goblin, I've noticed the spiderman ones tend to be incredibly less intelligent (ie, Green Goblin from movie, hated it) so you'd pawn him, only after he hit you a few times though, and it would have to be dramatic fashoin, Punisher, bang, martial arts Punisher, ...only if you're a grand master or something, Hulk, maybe, if you could get proper leverage and grip, Cyclops, def. coky lil piece of...sorry, Nightcrawler, once you got a grip, if you watched out for the tail

My head hurts...
Old 07-21-2003, 11:36 PM   #21
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Mark Burns--Seeing Motoko's boobs? Excuse me? Please recall the episode in which they showed them. The most extreme example I can think of fan serive in Love Hina is in the first episode of Love Hina Again, and that scene was so misplaced and needless it was mindboggling why it was there in the first place. Although I am quite aware it was in the manga as well.

---

I can sympathize with watching Rurouni Kenshin all night... I watched all 95 episodes within three weeks while taking 18 credits, six of them Junior level courses as a Freshman.

Another example of an anime with a good aikido message or whatever you want to call it would be the end of Tenchi In Tokyo (I'm sad to say, probably my least favourite of the three tenchi series). He subdues the main villian in a non-violent, constructive manner.

---

As to how well aikido would work against super villians... well, first of all, I'd make sure to have a high Charisma modifier and a lot of ranks in diplomacy and intimidation. And then pray to roll a twenty.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 07-22-2003, 10:46 AM   #22
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
Plastic Man would be a real handful to deal with, with just Aikido. Plus just looking at him, I bet he trains in Aikido, bigtime.

, can't find m s
Old 08-10-2003, 10:49 PM   #23
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
daredevil can be the best aikidoka.....
Old 08-11-2003, 06:02 AM   #24
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Whoa, Plastic Man would be rough. Still, just bring some epoxy, that'd stiffen the ol' boy up.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 03-16-2004, 09:12 PM   #25
Joezer M.

How about the Gramatton Clerics from Equilibrium with their gun-kata? (anybody seen the movie yet?)

Close combat with double hand-cannons and katanas... wonder if aikido would work against that.