Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-16-2002, 12:36 AM   #1
locknthrow
low-kick defense

I'm new here so if this has been discussed plese excuse me and direct me to the thread. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen any low-kick defenses. I've seen plenty of high and mid ones.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2002, 01:19 AM   #2
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Actually, I've never seen or even thought of it.

The only thing I could imagine right now is irimi-nage, or use the sayu-undo movement.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 12-16-2002, 01:28 AM   #3
locknthrow
yeah those Thai kicks to the leg really have sting in them. I hear alot of non-MA ppl talking about "if I were in a fight first thing I would do is kick them in the knee"

So I thought it might be a good idea to hear some opinions
Old 12-16-2002, 03:14 AM   #4
Ta Kung
The only good way to block a lowkick is to raise the leg the kick is going to hit. Point your knee outwards, and block with your shin. It hurts like "#%, if you haven't done this a million times.

This is not Aikido, but you could do and irimi nage or something else after the block. Aikido doesn't teach defence against lowkicks, as far as I know. Plese tell me how, if I am wrong.

Regards,

Patrik

PS. I think a tenkan or another move is not fast enough to get out of the way. The only proper Aikido thing would be maai.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:28 AM   #5
mike lee
getting nasty

Street-fighting technique for low kicks is to move forward slightly and raise the closest leg to your opponent slightly higher than his, just at the moment he kicks. When he kicks, his shin should hit the outer edge of your foot. It works best if you're wearing hard-sole shoes.

After the opponent smashes his shin a few times, he'll usually change his fighting strategy.

But a word of warning: Never focus too much on any single part of your opponent's body or you'll get clocked for sure.

To incorporate this strategy with aikido, I would use the block once, and then if he tries it a second time (because now I know what his move looks like), I'll turn slightly (avoiding the kick), enter strongly, and take him out with irim-nage. Game over.

The main thing is not to worry too much about low kicks. They may hurt, but they're usually used as a distraction to set up something bigger, like a left or right hook (potential knockout punches). That's what you've really got to watch out for.

I'm always willing to take a few little hits on my shins or forearms in a street fight. It's a given. Protecting the head, trunk and groin is vital.

Taking hits on the extremities is a little short-term pain for the long-term gain (the victory).

Last edited by mike lee : 12-16-2002 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:54 AM   #6
Ta Kung
In Wing Tsun you sometimes practise blocking lowkicks with a kick towards the inside of the agressors thigh.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:22 AM   #7
Vincentharris
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido
I've experienced ALOT of low kicks in other sparring sessions but I'm really new to Aikido. In my personal experience in real fights I've either used a quick stop kick to the shin or inner thigh which will really throw your attacker off balance not to mention the fact that their so easy to see coming it's just not funny. I'm not a tremendous fan of kicks so I just try to get out of their way. Merry Christmas everybody

Optimists consider the glass half full, Pessimists consider the glass haf empty. I consider the glass is TOO BIG.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:11 AM   #8
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
One option could be to enter slightly off line on the inside of the kick with Shomen Ate to the chin, placing the tegatana of the other hand against the inside of the thigh/knee. This other hand prevents the kick from landing with too much effective force, and if timed properly with a flick of the wrist can cause a great deal of pain to the nerve bundle just under the knee joint on the inner leg.

The effect of the shomen ate would be similar to Mike's irimi nage above, their head would go straight back while they were still on one leg. Game over.

This is pretty much the same shomen ate one may use for defence on a front kick, just executed in a shorter time interval.

Just my 2 cents.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #9
Reuben

Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan
Malaysia
If u're up against an experienced kicker wouldn't a kick just shatter your hand if you try to block/deflect/reduce impact of the kick using the tegatana of your hand?
Old 01-02-2003, 03:10 PM   #10
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Quote:
Reuben Yap (Reuben) wrote:
If u're up against an experienced kicker wouldn't a kick just shatter your hand if you try to block/deflect/reduce impact of the kick using the tegatana of your hand?
Not if you know how to close range and get inside the danger zone of the kick, placing the hand at or above the knee.

At no point does your hand move against the direct force of the kick. The motion of the hand should not be thought of as a block, rather as a placement on the inner thigh, acting as a guide for the leg to move along (tegatana includes the forearm and is not limited to just the blade of the hand), giving you a point of contact that tells you where the leg moves from there on.

At any rate, the straight line entry for shomen ate should be as fast as, if not faster than the typical arcing low kick. Just before the kick lands their head should be moving backward in a straight line, with your entire body moving through the kicker's centre. The hand is just added insurance.

L.C.

Last edited by L. Camejo : 01-02-2003 at 03:16 PM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #11
Mark Barlow
Dojo: Gulf Coast Martial Arts
I have to agree with the folks who suggested using the leg to defend against low kicks. Kicks above the hips, use hands, kicks below the hips, use legs. I've had the opportunity to train with some really talents Thais and they can not only deflect a low kick but use the deflection to close the gap.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:29 AM   #12
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
The problem is that with every shin block, you get injured. Blocking with my shins was always painful, even after a few years of conditioning on the heavybag. As a strategy to move in for a clinch, or a counter cross, the shin block is excellent. But you can really destroy you knee caps, and rubbing golf ball size welts out of your shins while your partially crushed bones heal really sucks.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 01-13-2003, 07:38 PM   #13
W^2
United_States
Dead Dealing with the low Thai roundhouse

I've only been training in Muay Thai since October 2002, but I thought I'd point out something about the differences in maai.

The ideal range for a Thai roundhouse is just beyond your extended fists (due to using the shins to deliver the blow), while Aikido maai is roughly twice that distance. So if you're responding to a low Thai kick with Aikido maai you should already be moving or have moved. Your opponent will have to close the distance before he launches such an attack; a good Thai Boxer wouldn't even think of throwing a low kick from Aikido maai.

Within this context, the proper Aikido response would seem to be stepping off the centerline of your opponents "attack", which may or may not be linear. From there it should be "business as usual" so to speak.

By the way, it's always better to avoid such a powerful kick; after one or two Thai round kicks I doubt that anyone not conditioned to take them would be putting any weight on the afflicted leg.

Just my two cents,

Ward
Old 01-13-2003, 11:51 PM   #14
locknthrow
Thanks that was very good.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:54 AM   #15
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
I agree with Ward. If you've never felt that kind of kick, you really don't know what you're in for. I've seen knock outs scored in professional thai fights because one of them simply couldn't stand up any more from two or three well placed thai kicks. When they hit the correct muscle in the thigh, it basically shuts down your mobility. Very kool stuff. Not impossible to defend against, but don't take any more hits than absolutely necessary.

Ron Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com