Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-27-2002, 02:03 PM   #1
JPT
Dojo: trad
Human Cloning ?

It seems that scientists have finally made a large step in progress with the supposed birth of the first human clone. My question is:- Is it a step in the right or wrong direction ?
Old 12-27-2002, 03:40 PM   #2
Kevin Wilbanks
I think it would be cool if they could grow viable clones with extremely limited brains incapable of anything we recognize as thought or consciousness. Everyone could just start growing a clone at birth. We could just keep them in tanks down in the basement, or at some storage facility, then when we got injured or some organ or bodypart wore out, we'd have plenty of spare parts.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Wilbanks-san... I just got images in my head from those bad science fiction and/or horror movies when you said the above. Scary to think that I have a "lifeless" body in a tank stored in the basement somewhere.

Gvies me the creeps.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 12-27-2002, 05:54 PM   #4
Thalib

Indonesia
Just watched Fox News Live... around 0635 Eastern.

There's some guy... cult leader Ra'el whatever said he met some aliens and got enlightenment how the aliens created humans out of genetic engineering. I mean I have always kept an open mind, but this is just a cult movie classic, he just cracks me up. I mean I saw this guy on the news, he was wearing sometype of white pesudo-retro-budo-spaced-out wear. But, the scary thing is... this is serious, and it is not a bad sci-fi movie.

Here's a couple of stories on the Ra'elians and Clonaid:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/06/30/clone.lab.txt/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,73987,00.html

Funny that... minutes after I read this thread, the news popped out on Fox. It's still on...

Peatee-san did you start this thread because the announcement of Clonaid's President, Brigitte Bosselier, on the birth of the cloned baby.

This is scary stuff, the genie is out of the bottle...

--------
Old 12-27-2002, 08:04 PM   #5
JPT
Quote:
Peatee-san did you start this thread because the announcement of Clonaid's President, Brigitte Bosselier, on the birth of the cloned baby.
Yes, & I agree very scary!

Old 12-27-2002, 08:16 PM   #6
JPT
Here is a link to the Raelians offical site

www2.rael.org/int/english/index.html

Last edited by JPT : 12-27-2002 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:40 PM   #7
Kevin Wilbanks
You know, now that I think about it, if you kept your clone unconscious and stored in a tank, most of the spare parts would be atrophied and of limited value from lack of use. Plus, you'd have to waste all the energy feeding it and maintaining the tank, getting nothing in return...

I think it would work better if you could modify the brain of the clone to about the intelligence level of a laborador retriever. Then you could teach it to do chores and play games, and make sure it gets plenty of exercise so that all the parts are in good shape and ready to harvest. Then, when you didn't want to deal with it, you could just keep it chained up in the basement or tethered outside. It would be like a pet, butler, and medical insurance plan all rolled into one.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:59 PM   #8
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I would say that within 20 years you could take one of your own cells, convert it into the stem cell of choice, and grow the desired organ in a mouse (they just grew a human kidney in a mouse) or yourself.

No rejection since its you.

Clonning - the lady is a chemist and a flaky one at that. I wont believe it until there is more than a new conference.

From a moral stand point I have no problems with cloning. I do have a problem with knowing the high incidence of birth defects (many only detectable after birth)you go ahead and clone a human anyway.

This is not science its grandstanding.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-27-2002, 09:03 PM   #9
Kevin Wilbanks
If my clone had defects, I would definitely demand my money back.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:52 PM   #10
Thalib

Indonesia
Wilbanks-san, what you described is like something straight out of "Outer Limits" or "Twilight Zone". Not saying that it can't be done, it's just that those series scare me sometimes...

--------
Old 01-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #11
Judd
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
I'm against cloning of individuals, but not against the technology itself. I mean, what if you were in a car crash and had a lung collapsed and doctors could use your lung tissue to clone you a new one? I have no idea if that will ever be possible, but here's hoping.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:09 PM   #12
PeterR

Japan
Closer than you think.

As I said earlier they grew a human kidney in a mouse.

For what you are asking for they don't even have to clone as they cultured the kidney cells from an existing kidney.

The only time you would have to clone is if the required cells were completely wiped out or infected (hepatitis and livers come to mind) and stem cells were not available.

The think is you wouldn't have to go past a petri dish, there would be no fetus, no baby.
Quote:
Judd Mercer (Judd) wrote:
I'm against cloning of individuals, but not against the technology itself. I mean, what if you were in a car crash and had a lung collapsed and doctors could use your lung tissue to clone you a new one? I have no idea if that will ever be possible, but here's hoping.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:41 AM   #13
Brian H
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
These guys are a bunch of non-cloning uber-loons.

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing
Old 01-05-2003, 07:35 PM   #14
PeterR

Japan
Quote:
Brian H wrote:
These guys are a bunch of non-cloning uber-loons.
Uber-loon - I love that.

I'm inclined to agree about the non-cloning also.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:44 AM   #15
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Uber-loon - I love that.

I'm inclined to agree about the non-cloning also.
Aww.. C'mon.

Next you'll be saying they're not really in touch with aliens.

Sean

x
Old 01-06-2003, 10:06 AM   #16
aikigreg
Dojo: Mizu Aikido
being able to grow a spare organ - fine. Growing another human - bad juju.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:44 AM   #17
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Took a look at the Raelians website. Strange as a tree full of sheep. I very much doubt if the human clones exist and I will be amazed if they can (or will) provide any form of scientific proof.

As to the ethics of human cloning,I'm against it, unless it is just organs for transplantation.

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 01-07-2003, 02:13 PM   #18
one4k4
Well, how about doing something similar... just growing the needed parts ad-hoc in a tub of "whatever"-gel? I mean, steak can be grown and excercized (sp), electrically of course. Mmm, electric steak.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:03 AM   #19
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Peter said:

From a moral stand point I have no problems with cloning. I do have a problem with knowing the high incidence of birth defects (many only detectable after birth)you go ahead and clone a human anyway.

This is not science its grandstanding.

Peter's right! Don't beleive anything these ppl say! They are notorious for coming up with ideas to publicize their cult. This is no different.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!