Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #51
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Quote:
Mark Brookmole (Mark B) wrote:
Mr Miranda,

The name of the dojo is Shobukan. My first class will be this Saturday morning. I am looking forward to it.
Hello Mark,

You will be in good hands at the Shobukan. I have had the pleasure of knowing Berg Sensei for some time now. Please send him my regards.

... Peace ...
Old 01-11-2003, 11:41 AM   #52
norman telford

Dojo: newton aycliffe aikido club (UKAU)
just while were all talking yoshinkan i dont practise it my self but i would like to if i could find a dojo in my area it seems to be quite popular in southern england but nothing up here in the north east of the uk i practise what is refered to as traditional style aikido and would like to incoperate yoshinkan if i can any suggestions will be appriciated thanks
Old 01-12-2003, 02:35 PM   #53
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
norman telford wrote:
just while were all talking yoshinkan i dont practise it my self but i would like to if i could find a dojo in my area it seems to be quite popular in southern england but nothing up here in the north east of the uk i practise what is refered to as traditional style aikido and would like to incoperate yoshinkan if i can any suggestions will be appriciated thanks
It does look like all the British Yoshinkan dojos are way down South, doesn't it? Maybe you'll get lucky and an instructor will move North.

I was looking a while back, and I came across a Yoshinkan offshoot called Shudokan. (With a "U" - thats not a typo, for once I'm not banging on about Shodokan. )

It seems the Shudokan was founded by an early student of Gozo Shioda's, a Malaysian gentleman by the name of Thamby Rajah. Can anyone comment on how close this is to 'mainstream' Yoshinkan?

One of my google searches turned up their UK website and I'm not sure quite what to make of it (there are a few things on the website that seem a bit, um.. odd), but they do have clubs a bit further North. (Still a fair way South of you, though. Their northernmost club seems to be in Bedale & Leeming in N.Yorkshire.

I'm curious to check out some Yoshinkan too, but I dont have the time or the energy for serious cross-training, (apart from semi-regular visits to my local traditional dojo)especially not with commuting involved. I think the best bet for me to indulge my curiousity is probably to take in a seminar sometime. Anyone know of a Yoshinkan course/seminar in the UK that might be suitable?

Sean
x

Last edited by deepsoup : 01-12-2003 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:37 AM   #54
Nathan Pereira
Dojo: Joseikan Jui Jitsu/MMA/Aikido Rickmansworth, Herts
England
Sean,

What was it is you found Odd on their website. Being one of the "Southerners" in Yoshinkan I might beable to point you to who's who and who is worth training with. I think I've pretty much trained with everybody down here. Without getting into politics there are some big differences in the teachers/organizations. Please feel free to mail me privately.

"Its just a ride" - Bill Hicks
Old 01-13-2003, 07:41 AM   #55
deepsoup
Quote:
Nathan Pereira wrote:
Sean,

What was it is you found Odd on their website. Being one of the "Southerners" in Yoshinkan I might beable to point you to who's who and who is worth training with. I think I've pretty much trained with everybody down here. Without getting into politics there are some big differences in the teachers/organizations. Please feel free to mail me privately.
Hi Nathan,

Theres a thread running about the use of 'sensei' as a title just now, and thats one of the things that seemed a bit odd on this site. They seem to use 'sempai', 'sensei', 'shihan' and 'soke' as titles, and seem to apply them before people's names: "Sensei Fred", "Shihan Barney" etc..

The other thing is that some of the photos are a little cheesy - people throwing three ukes at a time in the woods - a guy in gi and hakama posing in front of a jet fighter at an RAF base - that kind of thing.

There's a bit of a military 'macho' vibe about the whole thing, the same kind of thing I've seen on some very dodgy American MMA sites. Nothing that would qualify them for a mention in a 'bad budo' forum or anything, I just get a slight subjective feeling of 'cheesiness' when I look at the site.

I hope that makes sense.

I'll probably take you up on your offer, and ask you a couple of questions privately later.

Thanks
Regards
Sean

Last edited by deepsoup : 01-13-2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:07 AM   #56
Nathan Pereira
England
Yes I do know what you mean. I'm not associated with that organization but I have met and trained with the RAF guy [think he might be their head teacher in the UK]and he was a nice guy as I recall. Have met a few of them over the years and they all seemed really friendly to me [and I don't think that about many people].

They are more Yoshinkan based then true "Hombu" Yoshinkan. If you make it down to London I'm sure you would be more than welcome to have a bash. My teachers taught at the Yoshinkan Hombu in Japan [both mentioned in Angry White Pyjamas unfortunetly] so its about as close as you'll get in the UK.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:28 PM   #57
deepsoup
Quote:
Nathan Pereira wrote:
If you make it down to London I'm sure you would be more than welcome to have a bash.
Thanks very much, I hope I'll get a chance to take you up on that.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:03 PM   #58
norman telford

nathan why unfortunately featured in angry white pyjamas? i enjoyed reading the book which two instructors is it i think i can guess one of them (paul the met policeman?) but the second ive no idea. what id really like to know is how does yoshinkan differ from the traditional style that i practise in the UKAU? not an easy question to answer i know so if you want to contact me on yahoo messenger you can find my yahoo nickname in the profiles
Old 01-15-2003, 03:20 AM   #59
Nathan Pereira
England
Norman,

I too enjoyed the book and it gave quite a good reflection of how Yoshinkan is practiced, its just that I know, have met ,know of alot of the people in the book [including the author] and just don't think any were portrayed accuratley is all. You are correct on who my teacher is and as he was teaching on the course I know more than most about what went on. As I said I think it is a great book for those from outside but my enjoyment of it was tainted by the reality.

Wouldn't like to comment on the diffrences as I have no idea on your school. Not all Yoshinkan schools are the same either so this further muddies the waters.

I have also trained in an "Aikikai" school but know this is more an organisation than "style". I was told here and at another very well known club I trained at that I didn't do "Traditional" Aikido it was more Aikido Jujutsu whatever that is. What is considered a "Traditional" school. I know "Traditional" is used alot aswell and I have no idea what makes one more "Traditional" than the other or what makes it "Traditional" at all. There have been numerous comments I've encountered at BAB meetings etc some good mostly bad but each to their own. I'm sure 10 minutes on the mat would quickly highlight any differences/similarities.

Old 01-15-2003, 05:25 AM   #60
Duarh
As a writer, I can forgive Mr. Twigger if he's spinning a tale that is not entirely true to reality in "Angry White Pyjamas" . A writer needs not only to consider the truth, but also to think about style & commercial issues , which isn't nice but is inevitable. And the book's very nice reading.

Besides, no person's account of any period in his or her life can be OBJECTIVE as everything is always filtered through the eyes & mind of the beholder .
Old 01-15-2003, 08:53 AM   #61
norman telford

nathan thanks for the reply does the author still practise? i know what you mean about "traditional styles" i should probably get a book or video of gozo shioda to get a better idea there seems to be so many different styles of aikido it all gets confusing! if you feel like it give me a shout on yahoo mesenger or msn9my deatails are on the aikiwall somewhere) and we can have a chat
Old 01-15-2003, 08:58 AM   #62
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
I met Paul back in 1993. He accompanied Chino Sensei who had been invited to Southern California by Geordan Reynolds. I doubt he remembers me though. Like now, back then I was a lowly nobody. At the college where we trained, I was the one with the birds-eye view of the event. I was sitting on top of one of the weight machines filming the entire event.

Please do send my regards ...

... Cheers ...
Old 01-15-2003, 09:08 AM   #63
Nathan Pereira
England
He does indeed remember you ,just, as for everything non Aikido his memory is awful. Geordan visisted once about 5 years ago. Very nice man with nice technique.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:16 AM   #64
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
"traditional" aikido often refers to Iwama "style"...

FWIW

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!