Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-24-2002, 08:55 AM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
irimi naga 2

~~I recently attended a weekend seminar where the irimi nage was quite different, and devistating, from what I'd been taught. In my dojo, after the sinking/gathering part of the tech. we step through at a 45o angle and these folks swept all the way behind and dropped you from the rear. Made your (my) feet come right off the ground and whoosh! Very dynamic.
~~Just another slant on the same old topic? Why and how does on get chosen over another by instructors? Anybody?

~~Paula~~
Old 11-24-2002, 09:06 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Some people call that ushiro udoroshi I think - though I'm a firm believer that there are no 'absolute' techniques and that they blend into each other at some point.

Usually when we do irimi-nage we do tenchi-nage and ushiro udoroshi (and chokes) at the same time. After the movement off centre line; if uke stays where they are, irimi-nage is good, if they try to turn to face you, tenchi nage is good, if they try to turn away from you ushiro udoroshi or a choke is good.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-27-2002, 09:36 AM   #3
Kevin Wilbanks
I haven't heard of a place that uses the variation you describe as the primary version of irimi nage. It seems like the formal, cradling the head and ending with the scissor/waterfall stance is most traditional. The version you describe was a favorite of my former sensei, and one of mine too. It comes up pretty readily in a kind of formless freeplay situation, and often seems to be a more effortless, natural way to end the off-balancing that starts an irimi nage. To me, it seems like the standard ura version of irimi nage is more of a fantasy/aikido practice only technique... especially the version where you drop uke to hands and knees, then position yourself to intercept them when they get back up. It really depends upon uke making a series of decisions about how to continue that I think only a trained Aikidoka would make. On the other hand, the swooping around behind and dropping them straight backwards works even if they just stand there.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com