Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-23-2003, 01:06 AM   #26
Jimro
Humility, zanshin, mushin, peace, have all been expressed in this thread. I would like to add confidence and humor. Not exactly spiritual traits, but not exactly not spiritual traits either.

My body feels much more comfortable to me after 7 months of aikido than ever before. Being comfortable in tense situations is confidence.

I haven't been to class yet where I wasn't grinning from ear to ear enjoying myself at some point. Plus I train with some truly wonderful individuals ranging from 17 to 52 who enjoy aikido at least as much as I. We all are well practiced in laughing at ourselves, and pressing on.

And on a really weird tangent, my saxophone playing has become much more fluid, expressive, and easy.

Happy training.

James
Old 01-23-2003, 04:29 AM   #27
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Thats quite a sweeping question Jun. Aikido introduced me to eastern philosophy - and though I don't follow the same beliefs as Ueshiba or many aikidoka, it has greatly affected the way I think about reality.

As far as training goes - the dojo is a very apt name because it produces a controlled environment in which you can express underlying spiritual thoughts which would otherwise just be armchair philosophy.

I was once in quite a vigorous (and rapidly becoming competitive and unblending) session with a co-student in a dojo when I elbowed him in the face and blood ended up gushing out of his nose. He was not too pleased and we didn't train together for the rest of the session. I apologized in the showers and we shook hands, and we then made it a point to train with each other over the following weeks so we could wear off each others corners.

Also, failing gradings has always been a good lesson in humility and understanding that you are only as good as what you are doing in the present moment - I hope I'm teaching my students the same lessons!

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 01-26-2003, 05:50 AM   #28
mike lee
Quote:
As far as training goes - the dojo is a very apt name because it produces a controlled environment in which you can express underlying spiritual thoughts which would otherwise just be armchair philosophy.
Amen. The proof is in the pudding. And every day I thank God for producing a man that developed a martial art like aikido, where we can learn to express some of the highest spiritual principles in physical movements martial arts no less! When I sit down and think about it, I feel it's truly amazing! I often feel like he did it all just for me! (A bit selfish, I know.)

Sometimes we take aikido for granted, but I think that it's always important to remember on whose shoulders we stand. We must always be thankful to the man that worked so hard all his life to prepare this gift of aikido, and then gave it to the whole world to enjoy. How many countless hours have we all delighted in practicing this art!

Sorry for getting preachy, but my fear is that the younger generation may begin to take aikido, and the man that gave us this great art, for granted. When that happens, aikido will then gradually be reduced to just another martial art just another way to bring our enemies into submission. I pray that such a day never comes.

Whenever we have a training hall for learning the Way and someone willing to teach, we should always be very grateful, because such things are truly a gift.

Last edited by mike lee : 01-26-2003 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:34 AM   #29
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
So, what sort of spiritual understandings or growths have you had resulting from aikido training?

-- Jun

AikiWeb

Why Jun I have become a god! Not a very big one or very important one and certainly not a very powerful one or a very smart one. But a god nonetheless. I think it would have been better if I had remained a man. As a man I was important, powerful and smart. As a man I knew much more, I was young and strong and good looking now after years and decades of Aikido I am a god that is old, with many a broken parts and has lost his sexual allure. I am now a sage but not a very good one or very useful one. Oh I miss being a man!

Dennis (the Greek God of wine) Hooker

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 02-02-2003, 11:32 AM   #30
akiy

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote:
Dennis (the Greek God of wine) Hooker
Not that kind of "spiritual," Dennis!

Besides, you've been the "Dog God" in my mind for many, many years already...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:13 AM   #31
mike lee
gods enough for everybody

I wish I could be the god of Cuban cigars. (Actually, I think the Dominicans are better these days!)
Old 03-04-2003, 03:07 AM   #32
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Spiritual Orders?

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
...(Actually, I think the Dominicans are better these days!)
Dominicans?

What about the Franciscans?

[color="#000099"]Ha[/color] [color="#009900"] ha[/color] [color="#009999"]ha[/color][color="#009999"]![/color][color="#009900"]![/color][color="#000099"]![/color]

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!