Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-19-2002, 10:46 AM   #1
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Incense in Chicago

Anyone know of a good place (or few) to get some incense in chicago? I am heading up there a little before thanksgiving.

I am not looking for tradition koh-do but more along the lines of makko. I would like to find some borneo, aloeswood, zukoh, and other places.

I have not found anything on the net and was hoping some of the chi town natives would know.

TIA
Eric
Old 11-20-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
BC
I can't remember the name of the store, but it is located on Belmont Ave., just west of the intersection of Belmont and Clark. They have a lot of goods from Japan, including food, clothing and I believe incense.

Also, try the China-town area, which is just south of downtown Chicago.

There is also a large contingent of people of Japanese and Korean descent on the north side in and around the area known as Uptown.

Good luck!

Robert Cronin
Old 11-20-2002, 03:13 PM   #3
Paul Smith
The name is Toguri Mercantile; they carry exclusively japanese incense.

Also, you may want to try Devon Avenue, from Clark west, commonly known as "India Town," for non-Japanese types (i.e., pure sandalwood, more flowery or spicy, patchouli, etc).

There is also a new-agey bookstore, Transitions, in the North Avenue-Clybourn-Sheffield area, which carries a variety.

Just north of Belmont on Clark, west side of street, there is a place (I think still there), which carries some different types (along with cheaper-grade celtic jewelry).

South of Belmont, on Ashland, east side of street, is a new age store and training center - I forget the name at the moment (I think it's Global Yoga) - but they, too, carry a variety, at least they used to.

If you would like to get ahold of tibetan incense, you may want to give the Shambhala Center a call - this is the center in Chicago established under the auspices of the late Chogyam Rinpoche. They may have some leads.

Hope this helps.

Paul Smith
Old 11-20-2002, 04:32 PM   #4
warriorwoman
Try the website for Shoyeido Incense company. I would imagine they're at www.Shoyeido.com. I am an afficionado of fine incense and have dealt with this company in the past (however, as a wholesale customer). They do sell aloeswood in addition to their lines of blends. You may be disappointed if you visit the Chinese or Korean stores only because they don't seem to take incense as seriously as the Japanese. You can pay around $100.00 (U.S.) for some Shoyeido incense, however, there are many for much less.

janet dtantirojanarat

www.warriorwoman.org

janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org
Old 11-22-2002, 09:26 AM   #5
kung fu hamster
You might want to stop in at Aiko's Art Supplies, (773)404-5600 at 3347 N. Clark St (close by Roscoe and just south of Wrigley Field), they have a variety of high quality Japanese merchandise such as washi paper, inks, brushes, books, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they have good incense. Also, Aikido Center of Chicago/Zen Training Academy International, 3717 N. Ravenswood #113 (east side of the Metra track) has available for sale incense of the sort that one may find at Chozen-ji (phone 773-472-3290).

:^)
Old 11-22-2002, 09:51 AM   #7
kung fu hamster
oops, meant to include this one...

http://www.imservices.com/ims/showde...D=896&CATID=19

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!