Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-06-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
Amin Basri
injuries in aikido

Hi,

Just wondering,What injuries had you sustained due to aikido training?

Regards,
Amin
Old 11-06-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
Amin Basri
Hi,

Oh,also could you tell how do you sustain the injuries and how long did it take you to recover and start practising aikido again.Thanks

Regards,

Amin
Old 11-06-2002, 07:19 PM   #3
beanchild
Dojo: Aikido Academy, Columbia, SC
hi amin-

i strained both my wrists doing aikido wrist locks maybe a year and a half ago. i took a month off and came back. the wrists still flare up from time to time but nothing incapatating.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:18 PM   #4
bob_stra
Australia
Re: injuries in aikido

As some who is beginning aikido, I second this question. How common are injuries in aikido? I've been fairly banged up from BJJ and Judo (knees, shoulder, elbows, ankles, fingers) - can I expect more of the same, or are wrists the most likely injury area?

Also, do you find the traditional aikido wrist exercises (sorry, don't know the name) and jo work tend to be helpful in this regard?
Old 11-07-2002, 01:56 AM   #5
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Aikidojo Leiderdorp
Netherlands
Broke some toes. That's all.

Oh, and I did get some serieus ego-bruises

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 11-07-2002, 02:57 AM   #6
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Seperated the AC joint, broke the collar bone and 2 ribs and 'stretched' the tendons meaning my shoulder joint could glide about... ewww (all of those injuries were at the same time because of my own stupidity. I allowed myself to be used as uke for a friends nidan grading when I was not 100% fit. He is a big man, and he pummelled me into the mat with his second throw.

that was at easter and I'm just back on the mat full time as of yesterday

Old 11-07-2002, 04:39 AM   #7
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
Fortunately I had no serious injuries so far. The worst was a broken toe as it got caught and twisted between two mats during a high speed fall. I heared the sound but went on training. I only became suspicious after it didn't stop throbbing for several days. Because it already started healing, I just taped it to its neighbour and went on training after one week.

Anne

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)
Old 11-07-2002, 05:29 AM   #8
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Two broken toes (from randori collision)

Torn thumb ligaments (catching a punch badly)

Torn ankle ligaments (hit by someone else uke)

Stabbed through hand (tantodori)

Dislocated shoulder (someone trying to be 'kind' to me during koshinage)

Damaged knee (from doing koshinage badly)

Split lips, nosebleeds, black eyes, bokken bruises and a billion cuts from people not cutting their nails.

Also seen: Two broken clavicles (both during warm-up ukemi); concussion (iriminage - uke not keeping their head off the mat); broken fingers (uke getting their hand stepped on while lying on the mat); badly cut hand (from sensei not paying attention when he sheathed his sword during a demo ; teeth pushed through lip (randori collision)...

It's a dangerous mat out there....

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 11-07-2002, 05:34 AM   #9
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata
mostly nail cuts.

we train very soft in my dojo. tori should never perform a technique harder or faster than uke can recieve.

sometimes a landing foot or head connects to a painful area, we've had one leg injury in 3 years.

my sensei always says there are less registered injuries in aikido than there is in golf (!)

but one should be very careful with the knees, esp when training shikko.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:48 AM   #10
erikmenzel

Netherlands
Quote:
Sigurd Rage (gasman) wrote:
s there are less registered injuries in aikido than there is in golf (!)
I know nothing about golf whatsoever, so your sensei may be absolutely right, but it does make golf in my eyes a very very very dangerous sport.

Sad thing is that from the martial arts aikido is one with a lot of injuries. And a lot of people train aikido without matches or competition. Go figure!

Erik Jurrien Menzel
Old 11-07-2002, 07:30 AM   #11
MaylandL
The usual bumps and bruises. Had a dislocated thumb and sprained appendages. Also had some bruised ribs when I didnt receive a kick properly.

Had some minor cuts and nicks from tantodori and tachidori. Other than that nothing serious.

In the words of Hill Street Blues...lets be careful out there

Mayland
Old 11-07-2002, 07:35 AM   #12
Kevin Wilbanks
AB,

As you can see, the hazard varies widely dependent on the dojo. You'd be better off asking people who have been around a long while at your particular dojo. In the end, a lot is dependent on your own judgement and fitness/injury resistance.

If you tend to jump into things you aren't ready for, or tend to get caught up in a macho attitude about competitive situations, or training while you are already hurt, you'll be in for more damage. This last one is probably the most important in the long run - the difference between taking time to properly identify causes, heal and rehabilitate problems when they do arise and just training on like a tough-guy can be the difference between having a nimble, healthy body at 50 or 60 and being nearly crippled (I've seen both).

Preventatively, I think a general strength training program is important. Particularly Squats, Stiff-Leg/Romanian Deadlifts, and at least one pulling and pushing upperbody exercise on a regular basis will go a long way toward making most of the mechanical structures of the body more resistant to injury. Look through the archives for my replies to posts about working out and fitness for more detail.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:32 AM   #13
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Twelve + years no injuries.

What the #%^$ are you guys doing to each other?

confused

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 11-07-2002, 08:56 AM   #14
erikmenzel

Netherlands
Quote:
Ted Ehara (tedehara) wrote:
I dont need any others, quite capable of hurting myself without any help.

Sat down in keiza and was disturbed by a snapping sound coming from my toe. Just happend, nobodies fault nobody to blame, nobody who can explain it, not even my doctor or fysiotherapist.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
Old 11-07-2002, 09:19 AM   #15
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
Innumerable cuts from peoples' toenails not being cut.

(most recent) Tore something in my shoulder and not even sure when it happened. Didn't start hurting until later that night when I noticed a HUGE bruise on my tricep and that my shoulder hurt. Took a class off, took the next few classes REALLY easy, and did general warm up and strengthening exercises for it. It's just about better.

Sprained my ankle playing football, but didn't take enough time off aikido to let it heal and it still bothers me a bit.

There's all the other little bumps, bruises, and dings too.

However, Aikido does so much good stuff for me. I've got a notoriously bad lower back. Training in Aikido helps keep my back limber and healthy. I broke a rib (non-aikido related) and taking 1.5 months off really hurt. I start getting all creaky and achy if I don't do aikido.

Aikido gud. No cause injury if do right.

%us = map { $_ => q{belong} } @your_base;
http://www.eaglerockaikido.com
Old 11-07-2002, 09:33 AM   #16
DanielR
Repeatedly bruised big toes on both feet by stepping on them the wrong way during ukemi(like trying to bend them all the way to the sole). Annoying, but so far no permanent damage and no off-mat time.

Daniel
Old 11-07-2002, 09:40 AM   #17
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Separated ribs by not exhaling learning to take Ukemi. Tore rotator cuff by not keeping hands in front. Broke a little toe by running into someone's heel. Often have ice packs on wrists. You know, the usual. ;-) and well worth it.

RICE: rest, ice, elevation, compression.

Physical therapy stabilization exercises.

Most attributed to high mileage, not just Aikido.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:53 AM   #18
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Quote:
Twelve + years no injuries.

confused
Well Ted, see where it says "Ki Society" in your header...

*grin/duck/run*

Actually all the serious injuries I've seen where in my old Ki-style dojo - most of the bruises I got in my current one..

When do injuries happen to me? Often caused by other couples on a crowded mat

or when I'm pushing myself/being pushed by partner, in terms of speed, power and control, especially as I get tired.

Naturally the danger of injury increases as you work nearer your limits - but how else do you increase those limits? We need to balance our practice with our ability. There's no reason for beginners to be injuried at all (a little bruising from ukemi notwithstanding) whereas at a higher level you will eventually get injured if you push yourself.

How many deaths in aikido? About 35 and rising, isn't it? (Even in the ki style dojo's...)

Oh, and Kevin's right - don't train hard when injured.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 11-07-2002, 10:46 AM   #19
Erik
Foot in hakama during breakfall == mid air splits.

Landing on back of neck. Long story, and I was nage when it happened. Short story, don't piss off sensitive 5th dans.

Knees creak and crack which I believe has been caused by falling down and getting up many thousands of times. Recently did something to my left knee. Not sure if it was hyper-extended while running or on the mat. Knee problems scare me more than anything as so many of the people I've known in this art have had knee problems.

Elbow joints tweaked due to yonkyo application. Probably my fault as I was pushing the uke pretty hard and she (my instructor was greatly amused by this one) had gronking application down. I, on the other hand, was too stupid to just go with it.

Tendonitis in the left shoulder. While directly caused by a workout, I'd also spent a fair amount of time the prior year in a place where sensitivity was often not discussed. More than once I was pinned with my shoulder torqued rather than pinned to the mat. Slapping loud and hard was often too late.

Pulled a stomach muscle which was greatly aggravated while doing a recent demo. Not sure that I did it on the mat but the great joy of not being in your 20's is that you wind up hurting but are not really sure when you hurt yourself.

Once was dropped during a kote gaeshi. Person had been doing it for 20 years and I just assumed she knew how to hold onto me. 20 years right? Sheesh!

As far as I know I've never broken anything on the mat however.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #20
Bud
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines
I've had my thumb almost torn off (got it caught on someone's gi when I was holding a tanto wrong, with my thumb a little raised).

A lot of the usual bruises and faint aches. Usually around my shoulders from guys who seem to forget was tapping means..

Had an elbow a little hyperextended once by a nasty kokyu nage. The elbow was a little sore for a few weeks though.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:55 PM   #21
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
low grade separated shoulder

munetski kokyunage

6 weeks to heal
Quote:
Training hard.

Being stupid.

A little of both.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:26 PM   #22
Amin Basri
Hi,

Previously i had been doing Pencak Silat for 6 years and no injuries except for a few strains and cramps.After reading your replys,really got me thinking about doing aikido and the injuries i am going to suffer...

Regards,

Amin
Old 11-07-2002, 03:27 PM   #23
Aikiscott
Dojo: Central Coast Aikikai
Australia
Over the 3 years I have been training I have had.

Torn shoulder ligaments - Bad Ukemi

both Wrists - Bad Ukemi when recieving Nikyo/Sankyo. Just back on the mat after this one.

Left Elbow - Bad Ukemi when recieving Nikyo/Sankyo.

Torn Mouth - having a bokken shoved into the Corner of my mouth during Ken Awase.

Dislocated toe from dropping Uke onto my foot during Ikkyo.

thousands of Bruises especialy abdominal & Arms from vigorous technique aplication. A lot of Strains a few concussions, split lips, scratched from long finger nails.

And I still wouldn't say that Aikido is anymore dangerous than any other martial art. I have had worse injuries from playing Basketball.

I personaly believe that a majority of Injuries in the Dojo come from Fear of Ukemi or of doing the technique and Peoples Ego's exceeding their abilities.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:45 PM   #24
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
OOOOOHHHHH OH OH!! Forgot one!

Last night I climed in bed to spoon the wife prior do drifting off to sleep. However, I guess my hand was a little cold and she was so adamant about me not placing it on her anywhere that she bent my index finger at a 90degree angle sideways. (Double jointed so no damage)

She came very close to breaking it though.

MORAL:

Let sleeping dogs/bears/wives lie.

%us = map { $_ => q{belong} } @your_base;
http://www.eaglerockaikido.com
Old 11-07-2002, 05:43 PM   #25
Erik
Quote:
Matt Rice (MattRice) wrote:
low grade separated shoulder

Training hard.

Being stupid.

A little of both.
You know, that probably sums up my injury history as well as anything.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!