Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-07-2002, 06:54 PM   #26
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
there is someone who trains with us occassionally but has a knee injury at the moment so not so often.

but he is an extremely talented individual with a years experience as an uchi-deshi in iwama, and droopy and lax would definately describe his aikido........ and i have never ever been thrown harder than he has thrown me, and many people i train with would agree. when i get thrown by him i get up seeing stars.

but i guess its to each his own.

im really not in a position to hold a decent argument due to my lack of experience, so i guess i will just work on my feeling and perhaps one day i will get an oppurtunity to demonstrate it all to you.

i dont deny the idea of hard work or anything, i guess my head just thinks about things differently.

everyone calls me lazy, yet i do a lot of activity, but i try to keep an effortless mindset in everything i do, which i guess gives off the impression of laziness.

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 11-07-2002, 07:25 PM   #27
akiy

I guess it just comes down to my own feelings that such words as "lazy," "droopy," and "lax" carry no positive connotations in my thoughts regarding aikido; trying to make the words describe positive attributes in aikido, to me, smacks of Humpty Dumpty language.

Frankly, I doubt any of the shihan with whom I have trained would take such words as compliments should I attribute them to their aikido. As such, I disagree in describing the art of aikido as such.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-10-2002, 03:52 PM   #28
shadow
whilst the word 'lazy' has many negative conotations associated with it i have struggled to find the right word that conveys the feeling or principle i mean. i blame the english language and our lack of descriptive words. whilst the word 'efficient' could come close, it doesn't really embody what i try to say as it is kind of mechanical in its description.

since i study biology and in australia i will give an example of what i mean in terms of this.

a kangaroo moving at speeds of less than 8km/h and greater than 30km/h use a higher expenditure of energy than whilst travelling somewhere between these speeds.

when i speak of lazy, this is what i am trying to say. not doing too much energetically or too little, both physically and mentally. i personally think more in terms of avoiding the overexpenditure of energy which is why the term lazy fits very well to me. but there is a point where too little can be done too and i didnt really make any of this clear.

so my apologies if i have caused offence and aggrevation.

--damien--
Old 11-11-2002, 01:37 AM   #29
mike lee
face it

The proper word is "relaxed."
Old 11-11-2002, 03:17 AM   #30
shadow
re·lax Pronunciation Key (r-lks)

v. re·laxed, re·lax·ing, re·lax·es

v. tr.

1. To make lax or loose: relax one's grip.

2. To make less severe or strict: relax a curfew.

3. To reduce in intensity; slacken: relax one's efforts.

4. To relieve from tension or strain: The warm bath relaxed me.

v. intr.

1. To take one's ease; rest.

2. To become lax or loose.

3. To become less severe or strict.

4. To become less restrained or tense.

what was this about not describing anyones aikido as lax?

as i said before.... blame the english language!!!

--damien--
Old 11-11-2002, 03:22 AM   #31
mike lee
basic English

Quote:
4. To relieve from tension or strain: The warm bath relaxed me.
In reference to aikido training, of the definitions of "relaxed" that you offered, No. 4 would be the best. (Words often have multiple defenitions that are applied to diferent situations, based on the context.)
Old 11-11-2002, 09:13 AM   #32
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Quote:
Frankly, I doubt any of the shihan with whom I have trained would take such words as compliments should I attribute them to their aikido
I'm not sure what a shihan is, but I've certainly heard the word 'lazy' used for AiKiDo and with positive connotations in both Seidokan and ASU seminars. In Seidokan, many of the top instructors regularly talked about being 'too lazy' to do techniques wrong. "Why should I put in so much effort? I'm lazy!" Was something that I heard again and again. In ASU, it's much less common, but I'd swear that I heard either Gleason or Choate saying the same sort of thing.

I mean, it's partly tongue-in-cheeck, but that doesn't make it any less of an interesting perspective on what your goals are supposed to be.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 11-12-2002, 04:42 PM   #33
Mike Higgins
Dojo: Itai doshin dojo ,Bridgwater,Somerset,U.K
I've just done an hour and a half of ukemi from a 2nd dan who wanted to practise his kaiten nage.He took the greatest of joy watching me going from one end of the dojo to the other ,almost as much joy as i had recieving it!!! Lazy mans art????? hell no!!!!

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com