Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-01-2002, 09:54 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
adaptation

Quote:
Bruce Baker wrote:
In a few posts, I have been called a troll. Well, imagine a having the body of a troll that trys to be an aikidoka?
Sorry Bruce to take such an extract; I've no idea about your physique myself. However it links in with something I've thought recently. Watching Ueshiba on video I was impressed by the way he does the irimi-nage with a kind of punch (especially that one with a strike to the front and back of head). I wondered for ages how he managed to get in so close and still get punch like that in - then I realised, his arms are much shorter than his attackers.

I've noticed a similar thing with some of the smaller students - very quick and cn get in and do good strikes at short distances.

I'm one that feels aikido has to be personalised to your own body size/shape, speed and strength. Are there any examples of how you lot have done this, or do you ever feel frustrated because your instructor is aking you to do something which suits them, but not your body?

Ian
Old 11-01-2002, 10:26 AM   #2
akiy

Re: adaptation

Quote:
Ian Dodkins (ian) wrote:
do you ever feel frustrated because your instructor is aking you to do something which suits them, but not your body?
Just extracting a short part of what you asked, but...

My teacher very often says, "Don't do exactly what I'm doing. This works for me because I'm using my body. You have to find what works for your body. Just copying exactly what I'm doing won't work for you."

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-01-2002, 11:20 AM   #3
Erik
I've been thinking about this topic from the perspective of professional basketball players. If you watch them you'll see that no two shoot exactly alike. They all have different quirks and styles which have evolved for many reasons: height, speed, jumping ability, reflexes, depth perception, coordination, hand size, etc. There are mechanics which are more optimal but when you are 6' and everyone else is taller those optimizations get tweaked in terms of usable functionality. In other words, what works trumps a standardized ideal form at that level.

Of course, it's also true that much of the learning process for this particular sport happens away from the watchful eye of a coach. I imagine that if you only played with a coach watching those variations would narrow.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:11 PM   #4
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Yep, adapt. I train under (literally) a Sensei (Phong) who is only 5 feet tall. I am 6'4". He often shows me adaptations after he has a good laugh at my attempt to do it his way.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:16 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
thanks you three - I guess Aikido is a path which is unique for each of us.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-04-2002, 11:43 AM   #6
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
That's for sure. I am 6'2" and many of my students are much shorter and smaller than I.

(I often spend time demonstrating technique from Hanmi handachi)

The principles remain constant in Aikido. Waza is expressed differently by different people because of size, psychology, and mentality.

But the principles remain the same.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches