Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-02-2002, 11:20 AM   #1
bob_stra
Australia
Isn't it odd...

...that when things are at their worst, you always feel like training? Right now, things are so hectic in my life and yet the things I most want to do are train and Zen. But when things are on even keel, I find my motivation waxes and wanes. Odd...

Just a personal obervation. Back to your regularly scheduled program ;-)
Old 11-02-2002, 12:07 PM   #2
JW

Yeah I've always considered aikido my "therapy"..

--JW
Old 11-02-2002, 06:19 PM   #3
Alphete

Dojo: Shuren Dojo
Argentina
Aikido Evation

I feel the same in some way.

It's not that I have some critical issues with my life.

But whenever I'm going to the dojo (after work), as I enter the mat, stay at seiza and at the beggining of the class...Man, I go to another dimension. No matter how hard my work day was, no matter how much things I still have to solve or complete (job issues)....I just take all them out of my head.

I don't know of any other thing or activity that can put me in that state/peace of mind.

Sometimes it happens the other way...You feel just very good, and feel like to go train.to feel better.

Good and safe training

Old 11-03-2002, 10:50 AM   #4
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
It is just the other way for me, when things are bad, I have to struggle to get to class, but when things are better I can't stay away.

Must be the amphlication of depression with my Meniere's disease. Causes symptoms simular to having the flu and a hangover.

Although I do spend more time reviewing books, and online research increase, I think that training also has to do what you can see hidden in the techniques for variations, and comparitive analysis for other techniques in other martial arts also.

I know when we do things we haven't done in months, or begin to adapt and change techniques, I am motivated to get to class, even if I just sit and watch.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:52 PM   #5
chadsieger
Dojo: Minh Sensei
Talking Quite Natural?

I believe that preachers always report an influx of piety in times of crisis. Most people don't pray until they "have" to. I guess the trick is to weave it into your life, that way in times of crisis, you're already there!

Peace

Sieger

Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is exactly the place to train-
M. Ueshiba
Old 11-04-2002, 03:39 AM   #6
Dangus
My art is not wholly Aikido, because it's heavily involving Kung-Fu as well, but still, I find the same thing to some degree. When I feel frustrated and apathetic, I vent my frustrations, my rages, my irritations, all through calm exercise of the arts of peace. It's an amazing thing to do something so animal and so masculine, but yet something spiritual and graceful and feminine all in one. Martial arts covers so many bases that it's really quite an amazing thing, especially in light of the fact that on top of all that, it can save your life, or at the very least, save you from serious harm, both in combat and just in life in general.

I have to say though, once I realized that Aikido and Kung-Fu gave me what I get out of them, I put as much into them as I can, even though things are now great, even though they were terrible when I started. There's a transition point, where you're sitting in Seiza and everything is calm and you just breathe, and you feel like things are ok. I think most people get that at some point in their lives, doing some activity. Just a point where they have an epiphany and things change. For me that change was the change from needing Aikido and Kung-Fu to vent my sadness to wanting Kung-Fu and Aikido to enhance my happiness. It's a discipline thing, it's a breaking of dependancy, going from needing your art, to doing it because you want it.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who keep their's" -Ben Franklin

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com