Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-28-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Gareth Hatch
Current / Proposed Structure of USAF

Can anyone provide an update on the recent proposals within the USAF to get rid of all of the regions [i.e. no more Eastern, Western etc], and have a single unified organization, with a single Board of Directors?

I believe it was all supposed to happen in November but other than some second hand information claiming it was a done deal, does anyone else have any other info on this?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
giriasis
United_States
Re: Current / Proposed Structure of USAF

Quote:
Gareth Hatch wrote:
Can anyone provide an update on the recent proposals within the USAF to get rid of all of the regions [i.e. no more Eastern, Western etc], and have a single unified organization, with a single Board of Directors?

I believe it was all supposed to happen in November but other than some second hand information claiming it was a done deal, does anyone else have any other info on this?
I haven't heard anything about that. At least, my sensei hasn't said anything, but he usually doesn't discuss organization politics with dojo members. Perhaps you should ask your sensei. Or wait for the next Aikido East to come out. Also, I'm not apt to talk about such things until such a decision is made public knowledge by the heads of our organization.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
BC

You should probably talk to the head(s) of your club or your sensei, as it is very likely that he has knowledge of the issue.

Robert Cronin
Old 12-30-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Gareth Hatch wrote:

I am not in the USAF so maybe I can make a few comments understanding that I have no special knowledge of the situation. The USAF has three "regions" but that is tricky because I was always told that the Midwest Region was different from the Midwest Aikido Federation. I was given to understand that the Midwest Region was something created within the Bylaws of the USAF but that the Midwest Aikido Federation corresponded to the Midwest Region but was technically a different entity. I mention that because even if USAF removes the regions, any incorporated entity would continue to exist unless the corporation disbanded. The Midwest Aikido Federation might not want to disband or they might. We don't know. If Chiba Sensei's group is incorporated separately, the same would apply to him. I heard though that Yamada Sensei saw that the original setup created powerful loyalties that caused some breakdown after the original leader passed away and there was so much crossover regionally between the dojos, that the three regions no longer made sense. I expect that they will find a way to make that change to happen but it will be interesting to see how they work that out.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 12-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

This will be an interesting event if it happens. The midwest region was seriously affected from what I understand by the death of Aikira Tohei given no succession planning. Many dojos went to the eastern region. What will be interesting is to see what happens when two powerful shihan's are involved. Is Yamada in charge or Chiba? Chiba already has set up his Barankai group. Will he split and go his own way? If his group is an entity long enough, he could apply for direct affiliation. If that happens, USAF would change to being left with the eastern region and what's left of the midwest.

Last edited by aikidoc : 12-30-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Chiba Sensei has an interesting situation in that he does have the Birankai. It seems that he has made his some of his senior students "Shihans" through the Birankai while Yamada sensei was able to get his senior students the title of "Shihan" directly through Hombu dojo.
That says something about the interplay between organizations. Also, why was the "Other" category of Region created? Wasn't Shibata Sensei formerly with Chiba Sensei? It seems almost everyone in the "Other" category has some affiliation with Shibata Sensei. Did they really need another category that would be even smaller than Midwest?

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
Gareth Hatch

Quote:
Robert Cronin wrote:
You should probably talk to the head(s) of your club or your sensei, as it is very likely that he has knowledge of the issue.
The head(s) of our club do not have official knowledge of the issue, which is why this information is being sort, for legitimate reasons.

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
Also, I'm not apt to talk about such things until such a decision is made public knowledge by the heads of our organization.
Understandable; I am simply trying to ascertain when the official position will be made known, since the [offline] rumor mill is in full effect and is not helping the situation.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Understandable; I am simply trying to ascertain when the official position will be made known, since the [offline] rumor mill is in full effect and is not helping the situation.
This is actually the first time I've heard of it and I train with Peter Bernath (and help him a lot with the dojo). But then again, he also is not the type to go around discussing internal (and inter-association) politics), anyway. I guess I'm just trying to avoid non-USAF folks from discussing the internal politcs of an organization to which they do not belong as I would never guess or assume to discuss the internal politics of the ASU, AAA, Ki Society, etc.

I'm just trying to encourage some discretion on your part if your USAF. If the heads of your club are USAF I'm sure they can call someone to confirm or deny the rumor. If your not USAF then just brush it off as rumor mill and move on. If an important decision is made it will most likely be found on www.aikidoeast.com.

This is pure speculation. I know there was supposed be a Fukushidoin, Shihdoin, Shihan meeting at the Winter Camp this past November. (a fact that can be found on the seminar flyer) Unfortunately, Hurricane Wilma forced us to postpone the seminar. Thus, no meeting occured. ( a fact that everyone here and on the Aikido List was aware of at the time.) That's the only connection I can make. If any decisions/ announcements needed to be made it would have been then. (an assumption on my part as to what might occur in these meetings) I have no clue, as I don't organize those meetings and am not privy to the content of such meetings, as to whether this was topic of conversation. I'm harboring to guess that the rumour is just that -- a rumour.

Last edited by giriasis : 12-31-2005 at 09:33 AM.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 12-31-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
Gareth Hatch

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
I guess I'm just trying to avoid non-USAF folks from discussing the internal politcs of an organization to which they do not belong as I would never guess or assume to discuss the internal politics of the ASU, AAA, Ki Society, etc.
An understandable approach, and one which I think makes sense.
Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
I'm just trying to encourage some discretion on your part if your USAF. If the heads of your club are USAF I'm sure they can call someone to confirm or deny the rumor. If your not USAF then just brush it off as rumor mill and move on.
Our dojo is not a USAF dojo, but since initiating this thread, for legitimate [i.e. non-gossip] reasons, an official request for assistance has been made to the USAF, with regard to this matter.
Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
I'm harboring to guess that the rumour is just that -- a rumour.
Possibly, though the initial sources of information were two senior instructors at separate USAF dojos.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Our dojo is not a USAF dojo, but since initiating this thread, for legitimate [i.e. non-gossip] reasons, an official request for assistance has been made to the USAF, with regard to this matter.
Making an official request is probably the best bet for your sensei so you can clarify matters, and I'm sure your intentions isn't to stir up a hornet's nest. I could always ask my sensei (who is also a senior instructor), now that you piqued my curiosity.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 12-31-2005, 03:02 PM   #11
BC

Quote:
Gareth Hatch wrote:
The head(s) of our club do not have official knowledge of the issue, which is why this information is being sort, for legitimate reasons.

Please speak to Josh, as I believe he has been briefed about the situation.

Robert Cronin
Old 01-01-2006, 02:10 AM   #12
Gareth Hatch

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
Making an official request is probably the best bet for your sensei so you can clarify matters, and I'm sure your intentions isn't to stir up a hornet's nest. I could always ask my sensei (who is also a senior instructor), now that you piqued my curiosity.
The intention here was never to ask that anyone release official but private information into the public domain on this subject; the purpose of this thread was simply to find someone who knows what's going on, for legitimate reasons, since other methods had not yielded results.

Since contact has now been initiated with the USAF in the absence of official information in the public domain, there is no need for you to ask your instructor on our behalf, but I do thank you for the offer.
Quote:
Robert Cronin wrote:
Please speak to Josh, as I believe he has been briefed about the situation.
We are fully aware of the specific version of events to which you allude. A means to corroborate that information is precisely what was being sought here since it doesn't fully mesh with more recently received information on the subject.

As stated above though, contact has now been initiated with the USAF in order to get official clarification of the situation, so no-one need feel obliged to pursue this thread further; I'm happy to have any further discussion of the specific request made here off-forum.

Last edited by Gareth Hatch : 01-01-2006 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Since contact has now been initiated with the USAF in the absence of official information in the public domain, there is no need for you to ask your instructor on our behalf, but I do thank you for the offer.
I should have made myself clearer. I would asked my instructor out of my own personal interest, not to give you to low-down publicly. I could have asked him for contact info for someone who could answer your question privately if you needed it.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 01-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
Gareth Hatch

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
I should have made myself clearer. I would asked my instructor out of my own personal interest, not to give you to low-down publicly. I could have asked him for contact info for someone who could answer your question privately if you needed it.
Thanks for the clarification. If our initial attempt at communication yields no results, I'll drop you a line privately to take you up on this offer - thank you!

Happy New Year to one and all.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!