Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #26
DanielR
Quote:
Kathryn wrote:
..my posts are about corporal punishment in general, which is what I assumed was the intention of this thread. Still if my sensei slapped my face (which I can't picture him ever doing) I would talk to him about it...
Of course, and I agree wholeheartedly with the course of action you propose for the student in such a situation. The original question, however, was about justification of the corporal punishment. If we decide that it's a private matter that requires no justification, then there's nothing to argue about.

However, if we are talking about effectiveness and the value of corporal punishment, I maintain that in my opinion, use of corporal punishment reflects poorly on the sensei, showing his lack of consideration for the values of the society he/she teaches in.

Daniel
Old 10-17-2002, 02:14 PM   #27
Rev_Sully
Hey Paul,

Not upset at all and as Kat feels, I love this stuff...robust discourse, dueling opinion. I haven't been to dojo lately and miss it much. But I hear that the philosophical aspects are not really embraced on the mat. I love the philosophical aspects of Aikido. It matters just as the martial aspect. Train the mind and the body should follow.

Coroporal correction I think in my final analysis should not be accepted in the West. I believe in the truth of it but I do not feel as though that most Americans and/or Westerners have the stomach or other lower things to handle that kind of training. The Cultural Divide is too great and certain aspects should not be imported.

Any thoughts on what O-Sensei would feel about corporal punishment in the dojo?

"He who knows best knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-17-2002, 03:38 PM   #28
Kat.C
The value and effectiveness of corporal correction/punishment will differ in everyones eyes. A sensei who employs it probably finds it a useful tool. I've experienced it(as I mentioned in another thread) and it worked for me and didn't leave me feeling humiliated or abused, just a little sore in one spot. My problem is that if I practice something wrong a couple of times I continue to do so even when shown what I'm supposed to be doing, I just can't seem to break the cycle. After getting whacked on the leg with a bo for the second time I didn't move the wrong leg again. The sensei's intent was to help me because even I was getting irritated at continually moving the wrong foot and it worked, (It was also done with some humour). So I think that it can be a useful tool if used correctly. I am not by the way saying that I wish to be hit whenever I make a mistake.That is the only time in the martial arts (it actually happened in karate), that I had that done to me, and I would seriously wonder about the competency of a sensei who can't teach using other methods, or uses it as his main one. Of course I'd wonder more about people who'd continue to train with such a person while screaming abuse.

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.

Please visit our sponsor:

Long Island Asian Studies Center - Classes: Aiki Budo/Chi Gong/Tai Chi, Author of: Searching For O'Sensei