Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-14-2021, 04:22 AM   #1
pekka
Dojo: Awase / Helsinki
Finland
Greetings from Finland

Hello Aikidokas, I am Pekka and I am happy to join this forum as an Aikido re-starter.

I started Aikido in 1990 in Kimusubi, Helsinki and then moved to Munich where I trained at Aikido Schule Heinz Patt. After moving back to Helsinki in 1993 I joined my current Dojo Awase Helsinki. After some years of training I had almost 20 years pause of not doing any Aikido...

Then Harri Rautila received his 7th Dan and Shihan and there was a "celebration training" for it and I decided to join that training. Luckily my gi and hakama still fit me and there I was - almost 60 years old and doing Aikido again.

That training made me to remember how great art Aikido is and after getting some pep talks from my two senseis: Harri Rautila and Markku Kuusinen (6th dan) I decided to start again. There were only couple of fellow trainers left from late nineties in my club - and obviously all of them had higher Dan ranks So what did I do: I put all in. I started to train 3-4 times a week, most times two training sessions (one for beginners and one for advanced). I had to contact Finnish Aikido to check my rank - I was not sure if it was 3 or 2 kuy. It turned to be 3 and later I found my notes about my preparations for 2nd kuy back in nineties.

Before corona hit us, I managed to have 1+ year of really focused training and I did my 2nd and 1st kuy tests. My great plan was to have my shodan test this spring, just before I turn 60... but Corona has now severely affected my plans - I hope to take them later this year.

I have now trained a lot, read a lot and (now this is different from late nineties) watched also lots of videos. I even made a YouTube playlist for 1Kuy tests from great videos of François PICHEREAU (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...h2TjJX-GES8RR).

I am very happy to be back in Aikido and really happy to join this forum.

And message to all of you who have had a long pause in training and are hesitant to start again: Just do it - your body remembers more than you think. You will be soon back in track and age is not a problem - it just gives you more focus !

Cheers,
Pekka
Old 03-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
akiy

Re: Greetings from Finland

Hi Pekka,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Uregox

Hello Pekka! Thank you for introduction. I am exactly one of those who had a long pause in training but I am trying to come back to it. At one point of my life I was thinking of getting Munich property and moving there with family but than I changed my plans due to work opportunity in my country.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Setok
Dojo: Ryushinkan / Rajamäki | Sasuga Daito Ryu / Helsinki
Finland

Hey Pekka, great to have another Finn here. I’ve been to Awase a couple times and even managed to get a couple friends to start there, just before Corona hit and all that stopped.

Perhaps I could pop into Awase again to visit and say hi to you. I remember them having pretty solid technique, but I was never sure if they liked having a ronin like me pop in
Old 07-01-2021, 05:14 AM   #5
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Welcome.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan