Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
modesto
United_States
Help needed on this 1965 signed Shuji Maruyama / Koichi Tohei book

Hello. I was wondering if you guys could help me with this book.

I live near Cleveland, Ohio. I am an antique dealer / amateur historian. I found this book in an estate recently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read online that Koichi Tohei sponsored Shuji Maruyama when Maruyama came to Cleveland from 1965-1967. This book is from 1965.

I wonder if it was Maruyama's personal book? It looks like the signature is from someone who was learning English and/or cursive for the first time.

Here are two photos: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rndo47mau...kido4.jpg?dl=0 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/hodxugdp8d...kido5.jpg?dl=0

What do you think? Thank you.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
modesto
United_States
Hello. Trying to post in main forum.

Hello. I will probably only post here a few times, but I submitted a post to the main forum and it never got published. I found a 55 year old Aikido book may have been Shuji Maruyama's and/or Koichi Tohei's that I need help with. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Dazaifoo
Dojo: Chikushino Rental Dojo
Japan
Re: Hello. Trying to post in main forum.

Quote:
Kevin Myers wrote: View Post
Hello. I will probably only post here a few times, but I submitted a post to the main forum and it never got published. I found a 55 year old Aikido book may have been Shuji Maruyama's and/or Koichi Tohei's that I need help with. Thanks.
Okay, what can I do to help? Do you need some aid tracking down a title or publishing information, I take it that the book is in Japanese?
Old 09-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
modesto
United_States

Hello, I posted all of the details that you had asked for, as well as a couple of photos, in my post in the main forum, but for some reason it never got published. Can you see that post or get it published, or should I just repost it all here? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
Dazaifoo
Dojo: Chikushino Rental Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Hello, I posted all of the details that you had asked for, as well as a couple of photos, in my post in the main forum, but for some reason it never got published. Can you see that post or get it published, or should I just repost it all here? Thanks.
It's probably best to repost it here.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #6
modesto
United_States

Ok here is the information again: I am an antique dealer who lives in the Cleveland Ohio USA area.

I know nothing about Aikido or martial arts in general. But I do know books. Recently I found some vintage Tuttle 1960's martial arts books at an estate sale that had belonged to an elderly English professor who had passed away.

As I was going through the books, I noticed that one of the books, "Aikido The Arts of Self Defense," by Koichi Tohei, was signed by a person named Shuji Maruyama.

I read that Maruyama came to Cleveland from 1965-1967. This book is 4th printing, 1965.

The signature looks like that of someone who was just learning cursive English for the first time.

I wonder if this was Maruyama's personal book, perhaps given to him by Koichi Tohei?

Old 09-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
modesto
United_States

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rndo47mau...kido4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hodxugdp8d...kido5.jpg?dl=0
Old 10-01-2018, 03:06 AM   #8
dps

I have sent an email to Shuji Maruyama Sensei organization the Aikido Kokikai of Rochester (http://www.aikidorochester.com/) asking if they could help you. When I get a reply I will private message you or you can go to thier website and under "Contact Us" send an email to them.

dps

p.s.

Here is the email for the Aikido Kokikai Federation USA .

akfusainc@gmail.com

Last edited by dps : 10-01-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
dps

Hi Mr. Meyers. I got a reply from one of Sensei Maruyama's instructors. Below is the email I got.
;

"David,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'd be happy to contact or be contacted directly by Mr. Meyers. Sensei is still instructing in the states and this very well may be a book of his.

FYI, my dojo is just one of many within Sensei Maruyama's organization, but I am on the board of directors for the Kokikai Federation (www.kokikaiusa.org).

Best Regards,

-b

Aikido Kokikai of Rochester

Chief Instructors:

Brian Martens

Marcella Sarkozy

A member dojo of Aikido Kokikai Federation USA"

aikidoroc@gmail.com

I hope this was helpful.

David Skaggs

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
modesto
United_States

Hello,

Thank you. I will email the above email address and see what they think.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

Quote:
Ok here is the information again: I am an antique dealer who lives in the Cleveland Ohio USA area.

I know nothing about Aikido or martial arts in general. But I do know books. Recently I found some vintage Tuttle 1960's martial arts books at an estate sale that had belonged to an elderly English professor who had passed away.

As I was going through the books, I noticed that one of the books, "Aikido The Arts of Self Defense," by Koichi Tohei, was signed by a person named Shuji Maruyama.

I read that Maruyama came to Cleveland from 1965-1967. This book is 4th printing, 1965.

The signature looks like that of someone who was just learning cursive English for the first time.

I wonder if this was Maruyama's personal book, perhaps given to him by Koichi

that was most likely a book someone had Maruyama Sensei sign and not his personal book. Back in the day, people would bring any aikido book (regardless of if the Sensei was the author or not) and have there visiting Sensei sign it. I have a book by Koichi tohei signed by Maruyama koretoshi also.

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 AM   #12
HanneMeijdam
Dojo: Aikido Yuishinkai dojo Leiden
Netherlands
Re: Help needed on this 1965 signed Shuji Maruyama / Koichi Tohei book

In 1967 Koretoshi Maruyama decided to become a full time professional Aikido instructor, under the tutelage of the founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba. And delegated his family business responsibilities in Japan. He dedicated himself to the martial art that taught the principles of mind and Ki.
(according to the Aikido Yuishinkai Student Handbook by Michael Williams).
Are Shuji Maruyama and Koretoshi Maruyama the same person?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #13
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States
Re: Help needed on this 1965 signed Shuji Maruyama / Koichi Tohei book

Quote:
Hanne Meijdam wrote: View Post
Are Shuji Maruyama and Koretoshi Maruyama the same person?
No, they are different individuals, both who followed Koichi Tohei in the split from Aikikai, both of whom later broke off from Ki Society to found their own, independant Ki-Aikido organizations: Kokikai by Shuji, Yuishinkai by Koretoshi.