Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Marketplace

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Ellis Amdur

Release of Hidden in Plain Sight

"I am very pleased to announce the release of Hidden in Plain Sight: Esoteric Power Training within Japanese Martial Traditions (Tracing the Roots of Ueshiba Morihei's Power).
It is truly a new book, ⅔ larger, 441 pages with over 100 photographs."
Chapters include:
SECTION 1 -- THE CULTIVATION OF POWER
Chapter 1 -- Physical Culture: A Uniquely Human Preoccupation
Chapter 2 -- The Development of Specialized Martial Strength
Chapter 3 -- Connected Strength -- a Comprehensive Form of Physical Organization
SECTION 2 -- HEAVEN AND EARTH WITHIN MAN
Chapter 4 -- The Chinese Connection
Chapter 5 -- Kitō-ryū: Rising and Falling
Chapter 6 -- Yoshin-ryū: A Garden of Willows
Chapter 7 -- Tenjin Shinyō-ryū: Heaven and Man
Chapter 8 -- What Happened to Jūjutsu?
SECTION 3 --DAITŌ-RYŪ: THE PAST IS FUTURE
Chapter 9 -- Aizu Bujutsu: Takeda Sokaku's Birthright
Chapter 10 -- Takeda Sokaku: Opening our Eyes to True Budō
Chapter 11 -- The Heart of Aiki is the Sword: Takeda Sokaku's Legacy
Chapter 12 -- Aiki Nitō Hiden
SECTION 4 -AIKIDŌ AND UESHIBA MORIHEI: MORE THAN A MARTIAL ART & MORE THAN A MARTIAL ARTIST
Chapter 13 -- Is the Heart of Aikidō the Sword?
Chapter 14 -- Aikidō is Three Peaches
Chapter 15 -- Hidden in Plain Sight
Chapter 16 -- Circle, Square, Triangle: How to Be O-Sensei in Sixteen Easy Steps
EPILOGUE -- ‘Mada! Mada!' (‘Not Yet! Not Yet!')
APPENDICES

Old 05-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa
Re: Release of Hidden in Plain Sight

Just ordered, thanks very much.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

Looking forward to reading it!

I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity. Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
Old 05-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Patiently (well, not really) awaiting the delivery......

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 05-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
akiy

Congrats, Ellis! I'm looking forward to reading this edition, too.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

My copy arrived a couple of hours ago. It looks terrific - I've started reading it, but haven't read much yet. As always, if it was written by Ellis Amdur, it is worth reading!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 05-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

Got my copy last night. I had just enough spare time to get through the first chapter; I'm enjoying it so far!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

So every couple of years I find a notice in the mail that a US parcel could not be delivered and has to be collected from customs, upon presentation of a paypal receit and my passport. It's always a notice I have been looking forward to. So I hop in my car before work, customs open early, and drive out to some grey industrial area where our custom office resides. The officers there all have nondescript short beards which they had long before beards were fashion, and which they still will have long after. No uniforms actually. Nondescript polo shirts. They know nobody can get to them in any way, so they have time to be meticulous, and polite in a sort of emotionally neutral way. Things proceed slowy. I present my papers and ask what I can do to avoid this ritual next time -- not that I really want to, but I just wonder. The guy says Americans just dont seem to be able to issue proper bills with their parcels. I shrug and receive mine, then pay value added tax at a different counter. On my way back o the car I cant help smiling. I have another book by Ellis Amdur to look forward to.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
So every couple of years I find a notice in the mail that a US parcel could not be delivered and has to be collected from customs, upon presentation of a paypal receit and my passport. It's always a notice I have been looking forward to. So I hop in my car before work, customs open early, and drive out to some grey industrial area where our custom office resides. The officers there all have nondescript short beards which they had long before beards were fashion, and which they still will have long after. No uniforms actually. Nondescript polo shirts. They know nobody can get to them in any way, so they have time to be meticulous, and polite in a sort of emotionally neutral way. Things proceed slowy. I present my papers and ask what I can do to avoid this ritual next time -- not that I really want to, but I just wonder. The guy says Americans just dont seem to be able to issue proper bills with their parcels. I shrug and receive mine, then pay value added tax at a different counter. On my way back o the car I cant help smiling. I have another book by Ellis Amdur to look forward to.
Hello Nicholas.

I have just received the book. Ellis told me that I had been sent a copy and I received about ten separate e-mails from the US Postal Service (USPS) during each stage of the delivery process, as one might call it. I was not at home when the first delivery was attempted and then USPS told me that a second attempt would be made the following day. I called the Hiroshima central post office and was told that, yes, a second delivery would be attempted the following day. I had to explain that I would be out and so I would go to the post office and collect the book myself. I stress that I had to explain because the person I spoke to was rather reluctant to alter the 'delivery process' in any way and I had visions of the book being sent back to the US. After I collected the book, the USPS dutifully sent me an e-mail stating that the book had been delivered. Such devotion. Then I was asked if I would like to be a friend of the UPS and it took me a few seconds to realize that this was a different organization and that the mail was a phishing expedition.

Anyway, I am glad to have received the book. I have a hardbound copy and it is heavy, like a Ph.D. thesis. So I will treat it like a Ph.D. thesis. I am tempted to compare it with the first edition, but I will not do this. It has been sufficiently changed to stand alone as a new treatment. So the issue will be to see if and how it all hangs together.

I have been quite ill recently and have only just got back to writing for Aikiweb after a lengthy absence. I have an unfinished column about aikido and the dangers of organizations, which I need to finish. Then it will be HIPS, HIPS and more HIPS.

Peter Goldsbury

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
nikyu62
American Samoa

Best wishes in your recovery, Goldsbury Sensei. I am still waiting for my copy.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
nikyu62
American Samoa

Quote:
Steven Shimanek wrote: View Post
Best wishes in your recovery, Goldsbury Sensei. I am still waiting for my copy.
I checked the mail yesterday and i received my book....nice b-day present for myself.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
nikyu62
American Samoa

Into the book several chapters already; highly recommended for serious budo students.