Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #76
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: What do you think about the combat orientated styles?

Quote:
Edward Matthews wrote: View Post
Hi Aikiweb,

So apart from reading a lot about Yoshinkan, I also enjoy researching the Eastern European style of "real aikido", however there isn't a heap of information out there about it. My favourite combat style of Aikido to research is Lenny Sly Sensei of Tenshin Aikido, he has a YouTube channel called something like "the rogue warriors". He is extremely pragmatic and street orientated. He is not afraid to show street defence applications of aikido and I really enjoy and appreciate his work.

Some argue that Aikido is a spiritual art but it also truly is an effective martial art, as some people demonstrate. I think there is nothing wrong with focusing on the combat element of aikido (among other elements) because self defence and freedom from sudden unwelcome violence is a human right. Sometimes one can't avoid a fight, sometimes one can be attacked in the street - aikido is perfect for these situations. I believe more so than other martial arts.

What are your thoughts about the combat orientated styles of aikido out there? (or one could argue, just different interpretations of classic Aikido)
Effective is as effective does; spiritual is as spiritual does. If we're training with sincerity and humility, we're hopefully doing our best and making no assumptions. Beyond that it's about judging for ourselves how deep and wide we want to go in whatever it is we're studying. I have no problem with what others want to study or how they want to study, generally speaking.
If we're studying for fun, for self-defense, or whatever, hopefully we'll find people of like minds; but hopefully too, we won't make assumptions along the way which prevent us from making use of something useful. Take what you find, make it as useful as you can.
My two bits.

Great to "see" so many of you folks!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:27 AM   #77
shuckser
Dojo: Brighton Aikikai, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
How about a little girl knocking the teeth of an attacker down his throat? Would you consider her being safer?
Would you consider the engagement finished at that point? What if her attacker is a masochist?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #78
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
Conan Theobald wrote: View Post
Would you consider the engagement finished at that point? What if her attacker is a masochist?
She considered it finished. Then the police came, he was arrested and charged, by the court of law that was considered finished. If he attacked her first then he wasn't a masochist.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #79
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
She considered it finished. Then the police came, he was arrested and charged, by the court of law that was considered finished. If he attacked her first then he wasn't a masochist.
He might still be a masochist: win win.
P.S. for whatever it's worth, the engagement is never finished. Constant vigilance.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #80
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I do not have much time or inclination to make videos. We do not advertise very much and if people find the dojo, fine; if they do not, fine. I am quite happy with the students I have, who include whole families. It is very good to see little kids running wild around the dojo and to watch them grow and gradually become more than a match for their parents. They also keep me on my toes.
An excellent comment Sir.

Thank you,
D

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.