Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Columns

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Comment

Column Tools
20 Years
20 Years
by Lynn Seiser
08-29-2017
20 Years

Breathe in, bow in
Breathe out, bow out
Write about the in between

We bow to show respect. Our deepest bows show not only our own character but the respect we have for the person we are bowing to. I joined AikiWeb in June 2000 and have written almost 4,000 posts. AikiWeb has been home to many of us internet-aikidoka for 20 years and Jun Akiyama deserves our deepest bows of respect and gratitude for providing us this platform/forum to stay connected and learn from each other. I cannot express what it has meant to me. Thank you.

Breathe in, bow in

I wrote my first column for AikiWeb in October 2004. It was called, To Reach a Destination, Enjoy the Journey. I was surprised when I was offered the opportunity to share my thoughts within this international internet Aikido community. I really didn't think I had that much to offer. I had only been in Aikido for 10 years and was somewhat intimidated by the practitioners with far more experience than me. But the invitation was there and there was only one way to find out if I had anything to contribute. I had already been in various martial arts since I was 17 (yes, I started formal training late, but at that point I already had 36 years on the mat). When I was asked why I continued to train, I would always say it was because I didn't golf (something traumatic about clown-faces and wind-mills). The truth was, I was having a good time. I enjoyed the training and the people I trained with. I did not start out with any goal in mind, no real objective or destination, other than just enjoying the journey.

Breathe out, bow out

I wrote my last column for AikiWeb in January 2017. It was on Persistence. After a move/relocation from Georgia to Florida, being treated and becoming "undetected" for Hepatitis C, and destroying my hips (needing two total hip replacements), I stopped formal training on the mat. The mat and the people I shared it with were my muse and inspiration. After training, I would have coffee and talk with the people I had just thrown about, We would reflect on the training and talk about life. It was not unusual for me to ask for column subject suggestions and they would be reminded about what I said on the mat during a class. The daily discipline or training and the monthly discipline of writing has been good for me. Like any skill acquisition, it takes persistent repetition to gain muscle memory and neuro-pathways (synapse that fire together then wire together). Anything worth saying/doing is worth repeating.

Write about the in between

As a martial artist, I know it is not where you start or where you end that matters, but how you train in between. As a family systems therapist, I know it is not the individual roles that matter, but the rules that govern the inter-actions that make the difference. As a human, I know that if we are born we will someday die, but it is how we spend the temporary opportunity in between that we will be remembered for. That in between as been over 12 years and approximately 139 columns of sharing my experiences and perceptions of the Aikido principles applied on and off the dojo mat. It has been a great journey and shared with so many great people, especially within AikiWeb.

Thanks for listening, for the opportunity to be of some small service, and for sharing this journey. Now, get back to training. KWATZ!

Lynn Seiser (b. 1950 Pontiac, Michigan), Ph.D. has been a perpetual student of martial arts, CQC/H2H, FMA/JKD, and other fighting systems for over 40 years. He currently holds the rank of Yondan (4th degree black belt) from Sensei Dang Thong Phong of the International Tenshinkai Aikido Federation and Sensei Andrew Sato of the Aikido World Alliance. He is the co-author of three books on Aikido (with Phong Sensei) and his martial art articles have appeared in Black Belt Magazine, Aikido Today Magazine, and Martial Arts and Combat Sports Magazine. He is the founder of Aiki-Solutions and IdentityTherapy and is an internationally respected psychotherapist in the clinical treatment of offenders, victims, and families of violence, trauma, abuse, and addiction. He is a professor of clinical and forensic psychology with an expertise in family violence and treatment. He lives with his wife and trains on the Florida Gulf Coast (chasing grandchildren).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf lseiser_2017_08.pdf (322.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Derek

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan (AWA)
United_States
Re: 20 Years

As always, a pleasure to read your musings! Be well my friend.

Derek Duval
Godan
Old 09-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Derek Duval wrote: View Post
As always, a pleasure to read your musings! Be well my friend.
Thanks for reading and responding.
I have always enjoyed training with you, a kindred spirit.
May you and yours be safe, healthy, and happy.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

You've stopped!?!?

Is it not just a case of writer's block? It happens to me: I have a kind of love-hate relationship with my AikiWeb columns, especially with the remaining parts of Column 28.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
You've stopped!?!?
Yep, stopped, and no one noticed.
Been off the mat recovering from a chronic illness and two new metal hips.
Have more of my own writing to do.
But I will always read your kind offerings.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

I [and my lovely wife Lori] have been disappointed that Lynn hasn't produced more of his worthy wisdom in written form (and we miss his spoken and timely wisdom in person too), but I always view such servings of wisdom as unique gifts and know the giver(s) may not wish or be able to always provide more. Of course, we are always hoping for more.

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 09-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Robin Johnson wrote: View Post
I [and my lovely wife Lori] have been disappointed that Lynn hasn't produced more of his worthy wisdom in written form (and we miss his spoken and timely wisdom in person too), but I always view such servings of wisdom as unique gifts and know the giver(s) may not wish or be able to always provide more. Of course, we are always hoping for more.
Greetings from the Florida Gulf coast ...
Hope my Atlanta/Roswell family are safe and well prepared ...
Miss training and conversations with everyone up there ...
But, you people obviously need to get out more ... LOL
Thanks for reading and responding ...

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 09-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

Quote:
But, you people obviously need to get out more ... LOL
And wisdom is given. YOU stay safe. We'll be fine. I'll put anything that can sail into the basement

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 09-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
R.A. Robertson
Dojo: Still Point Aikido Center

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
In fairness to yourself, there was a long hiatus where columns were not being published. So around then it would have been impossible to notice if someone had stopped writing.

I seldom comment, but it has always given me comfort to see the long continuity of your name on the byline.

~ Ross
Old 09-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #10
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Ross Robertson wrote: View Post
I seldom comment, but it has always given me comfort to see the long continuity of your name on the byline. ~ Ross
Greetings,
Thanks for reading, responding, and your kind words.
I too have often been neglect to no always comment on all the columns, though I read each one when they are posted.
Guess I have a new habit to cultivate.
Always appreciate you insights.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 09-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #11
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan

I agree with Ross and Peter. Just because you're recovering doesn't mean you don't have more to say about aikido. Pushing hard against 60, I don't necessarily train the way I used to, but I still have something to share, as do you, my friend.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Susan Dalton wrote: View Post
Pushing hard against 60, I don't necessarily train the way I used to, but I still have something to share, as do you, my friend.
Thank you for reading/responding and you kind encouragement.
Yes agreed, I always have something to say/share.
Just never been much into spectator sports, but have been learning to appreciate the perspective.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 09-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

I always enjoy your perspective from reading your posts; I don't comment very often, particularly when I see that someone (frequently you) posts a response that is in line with what i would say. Sometimes a topic seems rife with opportunities for disagreement, and on those I usually "get off the line of attack" and remain silent I do enjoy your offerings and offer best wishes for your speedy recovery.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #14
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Steven Shimanek wrote: View Post
)I do enjoy your offerings and offer best wishes for your speedy recovery.
Greetings from the Florida Gulf coast ...
Thanks for reading, responding, and your kind words.
I agree, I too often "get off the line" and quietly move on.
Other times, I just feel like "stirring the pot" and realizing the perhaps its time to "move them off my line" ...LOL
Thanks again ...

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 07-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #15
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Hello Lynn,

Many thanks for the response. My struggle with the columns is also due to illness -- and an added aspect is that I do not know how serious the illness is. My deepest fear is that it might be Alzheimer's, but I have not received any clear answers.

So the columns go on and I have almost finished the second part of Column 28.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

I wish you well in your recovery and look forward to your contributions in the future, Professor Goldsbury.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #17
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Lynn, Many thanks for the response. My struggle with the columns is also due to illness -- and an added aspect is that I do not know how serious the illness is. My deepest fear is that it might be Alzheimer's, but I have not received any clear answers. So the columns go on and I have almost finished the second part of Column 28. Best wishes, PAG
Greetings and best wishes for clarity and recovery.
I will always remember training with you are the 1st Aiki Expo in Las Vegas.
I look forward to continue reading and learning from your thoughts.
Until again,
Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 07-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #18
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Steven Shimanek wrote: View Post
I wish you well in your recovery and look forward to your contributions in the future, Professor Goldsbury.
I am sure we all wish the same for the Professor.
Until again,
Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD

Comment