Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-03-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
chris87
England
Starting yoshinkan aikido

Hi I'm currently doing iwama style aikido I'm only a 4th kyubut I've always been drawn to yoshinkan style just everything about it I love and I've found a dojo an hour away from my house 30 miles away is it worth travelling all the way to change styles I know I will have to start again and adapt to the yoshinkan way do they do weapons as well in yoshinkan I know it probs won't be as much as iwama ryu curriculum

Many thanks
Chris
Old 06-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
chris87
England
Re: Starting yoshinkan aikido

And what kind of Bokken is used within yoshinkan?

Many thanks
Old 06-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Welcome to the family. While there is no formal weapons system within Yoshinkan Aikido, nothing on the officially syllabus, many schools have incorporated such into their regular practice. As for the type of bokken, I would suspect the same as everyone else.

Best bet is to talk with the instructor about what they do and don't do. Anything else is pure speculation.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:08 AM   #4
chris87
England

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote: View Post
Welcome to the family. While there is no formal weapons system within Yoshinkan Aikido, nothing on the officially syllabus, many schools have incorporated such into their regular practice. As for the type of bokken, I would suspect the same as everyone else.

Best bet is to talk with the instructor about what they do and don't do. Anything else is pure speculation.
Hi Steven thanks for your reply I'm going to goryukan at belper in derby under a instructor called
Henry pielacki I'm sure your name is on their website I'm looking forward to it but I won't be able to attend all the time as it's a fair distance from myself

Many thanks
Christian.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Steven

United_States

Hi Christian,

I know Henry and the group quite well and have visited his dojo on several occasions. Small group but great energy. I don't know the extend of the weapons work he may do, but you will get top quality instruction. Please give Henry Sensei my best and good look.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
chris87
England

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote: View Post
Hi Christian,

I know Henry and the group quite well and have visited his dojo on several occasions. Small group but great energy. I don't know the extend of the weapons work he may do, but you will get top quality instruction. Please give Henry Sensei my best and good look.
Hi Steven
Thanks for that really looking forward to going I've always known yoshinkan for its Kiai and been very formal the spirit reminds me of shotokan karate a little bit and that's why I like it well I'm sure I will pick the weapons up a long the way

Many thanks
Christian
Old 06-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
Steven

United_States

Good look = Good Luck, though I suppose you have good looks too. I don't know. :P
Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Christian Brownlow wrote: View Post
Hi I'm currently doing iwama style aikido I'm only a 4th kyubut I've always been drawn to yoshinkan style just everything about it I love and I've found a dojo an hour away from my house 30 miles away is it worth travelling all the way to change styles I know I will have to start again and adapt to the yoshinkan way do they do weapons as well in yoshinkan I know it probs won't be as much as iwama ryu curriculum

Many thanks
Chris
Its always worth traveling for the right teacher!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!