Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #51
MRoh
Germany
Re:

Quote:
Maciej Jesmanowicz wrote: View Post
Let's start from the beginning. If a child visits your dojo and you ask what he sees here, what do you think he will answer? "One person attacks another who defends himself against this", right? Will not say "They dance with each other".
If it Looks like dancing, they will.
Children don't think in categories like "self defense" or something like that. If they don't know about fighting or violence, they see just two people doing something strange.
I train in a dojo with windows to the street, and often children watch the training with wide eyes and ask mom or dad what they are doing inside. Most parents say, they are doing sports or something like that, but the children have no idea.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #52
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: "Is Aikido A Martial Art?" - Roy Dean, Lenny Sly, Vince Salvatore, Corky Quakenbush

The first time I saw aikido I was not a child but I had no idea what it was. I had never heard of it.

I saw beauty and power and felt peacefulness.

I was attracted to it. I had no idea how much I needed it.

Ron called me over and showed me how to do unbend-able arm and I was mesmerized that I could have such strength while being relaxed.

Even though I had been an athlete my whole life I felt no ability to be strong or to defend myself.

Through my training in this art that I had never seen I have met myself. I can look at my weaknesses and my strengths. I can make choices about my safety: immediate and long term.

Aikido is about self- defense. And so much more..beauty, grace, understanding, connection, peacefulness.

Trying to limit the definition of aikido is like trying shove the sky into a soda bottle...impossible and unnecessary.

Yes, aikido is a martial art and so much more.....

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan