Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
Pete Fetcher
Dojo: Chase Aikido, Staffs, UK
United Kingdom
The Origins of Aikido

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forums and looking for a bit of information if that's ok.

Quite recently, I was tasked with writing an article on the origins and history of Aikido, and I'm looking for any suggestions of a good book that would give me a good insight into this. As the Internet these days is generally overflowing with content on every topic (much it unverified) I wanted to get recommendations from a reliable source, from personal experience if possible, hence my starting this thread.

Can anyone recommend anything, or at least point me in the right direction of a good author? More specifically, a book with a good breadth of content?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pete
Old 05-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
Dazaifoo
Dojo: Chikushino Rental Dojo
Japan
Re: The Origins of Aikido

http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/blog/...ai-blog-index/

Better than any book currently on the market.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:32 AM   #3
Pete Fetcher
United Kingdom

Thanks Dazaifoo, I'll take a look.

Pete
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 AM   #4
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Hi Pete,

You may also find prof. Peter Goldsbury´s Colums "Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation" 1 to 28 here: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/ of interrest. I´m slowly digging my way through them - or at least the parts I can read since some of the material and references are presented in Japanese (in english as well for most parts). Extensive reading and really interresting- Prof. Peter Goldsbury is frequently active here on Aikiweb btw.

As mentioned aikidosangenkai.org is a great resource and http://aikidojournal.com/ by the late Stanley Pranin is great historical rescource as well. You will probably have enough material for the next couple of decades allready with these few references. :-)

Best wishes,
Lars
Old 05-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Also Ellis Amdur's book 'Hidden in Plain Sight'
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
Ellis Amdur

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Demetrio - Thank you for the plug. The book is out of print, but sold at very high price used. However, I've rewritten it - more so than Old School and Dueling with O-sensei. A number of new chapters, a huge amount of new, not published anywhere in English (and some in Japan) information. Probably fifty or sixty new illustrations, if all goes well in formatting. In fact, it's different enough that I (slightly) changed the title - HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT: Tracing the Roots of Remarkable Power within Japanese Martial Arts

It's in the hands of the publisher and three critical readers. I expect the new edition will be released (hardcover, softcover and e-book) in the fall of this year.

Ellis amdur

Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Ellis Amdur

Quote:
Demetrio - Thank you for the plug. The book is out of print, but sold at very high price used. However, I've rewritten it - more so than Old School and Dueling with O-sensei (both considered radically new and different books.
HIPS has a number of new chapters, including a huge amount of new, not published anywhere in English (and some not in Japan either) information. Probably fifty or sixty new illustrations, if all goes well in formatting. In fact, it's different enough that I (slightly) changed the title - HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT: Tracing the Roots of Remarkable Power within Japanese Martial Arts

It's in the hands of the publisher and three critical readers. I expect the new edition will be released (hardcover, softcover and e-book) in the fall of this year.

Ellis amdur

Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Pete Fetcher
United Kingdom

That's excellent guys, very much appreciated. Like I said in my original post, I'd much prefer to have recommendations from those in the know rather than force myself to 'believe' internet recommendations.

I think there's plenty there to get me going, and keep me going!

Many thanks indeed.

Pete
Old 05-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Yes indeed !
Old 05-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #10
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Demetrio - Thank you for the plug. The book is out of print, but sold at very high price used. However, I've rewritten it - more so than Old School and Dueling with O-sensei (both considered radically new and different books.
HIPS has a number of new chapters, including a huge amount of new, not published anywhere in English (and some not in Japan either) information. Probably fifty or sixty new illustrations, if all goes well in formatting. In fact, it's different enough that I (slightly) changed the title - HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT: Tracing the Roots of Remarkable Power within Japanese Martial Arts

Ellis amdur
I don't like the tittle change but still, i can't wait for the book.