Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Stan Pranin

All of us in Aikido owe an incalculable debt to Stan Pranin for his foundational work in uncovering the truth of the history of Aikido. Please consider donating today to support him in his fight against advanced stomach cancer.

Best,

Chris

Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
AikiWeb System
Help Stanley Pranin's Medical Fund

Posted 2017-01-24 23:27:04 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://https://www.gofundme.com/stanley-pranin

Stanley Pranin, editor-in-chief of Aikido Journal, has helped contribute to the world of aikido through his decades-long dedication as a researcher and historian of aikido.

According to his GoFundMe page: "After months of low appetite and poor health, Stan was diagnosed with advanced stomach cancer. Weakened by the disease, Stan's ability to work and further his aikido studies has diminished, but his will to fight is strong."

Please help Stanley's medical fund by contributing to this campaign. And, please share to spread the news.

My best wishes go out to Stanley as he enters into his recovery process, and to his family and friends as they provide support.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
akiy

Re: Stan Pranin

Stanley has posted the following update:

Quote:
I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to all of those who have sent their thoughts and love to me now as I embark on the greatest adventure of my life.

My life is and will always be devoted to you as aikido has been my life and passion for 55 years.

From time to time I will update you on my odyssey into my mind, body and spirit. Perhaps there will be something of value for some. That will be my reward.

I cannot close without thanking Josh Gold of the Ikazuchi Dojo for putting together this funding project in 2 days, something that I would never have been able to do at the present time. He has lifted me and supported me for many years.

Love and gratitude to all!

Stan Pranin
-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Thoughts an energy are with you Sensei.
Our time together change my Aikido and myself.
Until again,
Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:32 AM   #5
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

I was knocked sideways by this news...

Pranin Sensei has been my Aikido lighthouse for many years now, and I know for a fact that he will battle this setback with every fiber of his being. I hope the Aikido community as a whole will come together to support him in this time of need. He is a treasure, and would jump to help any one of us if the tables were turned.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

When this news was posted, I did not hesitate to send a donation, even though i am on a fixed income with many obligations. I hope that every aikido practitioner who hears about this will do the same, as Pranin Sensei has done all of us a great service with his research and publications. I have not had the pleasure of meeting him, but in a couple of telephone conversations, he has impressed me with his knowledge, humanity, and humility. Thank you.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Fight this and get well soon !!!

Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
akiy

Quick update on Stanley Pranin:

Jan 28: Short update on Stanley Pranin:

Quote:
I met with Pranin Sensei yesterday and am pleased to announce that he is in excellent spirits. Since beginning the first phase of his treatments 3 days ago, he's been able to stabilize his weight and has increasing energy. He's touched and encouraged by everyone's support.

Stan also gave me an overview of the projects he has in-progress. I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to learn about the initiatives and I told him the entire aikido community looks forward to their completion.

Thank you for your support. It's been inspirational for Stan to see the community rally behind him as he faces the greatest challenge of his life.

We look forward to providing you more updates in the coming days.

Sincerely,

Josh Gold
-- Jun

Old 01-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
crbateman

I heard from Stan yesterday, and he says that he is in the game and on the attack. I know that he is amazed and humbled by the outpouring of love and support our community has shown him in his time of crisis. My thanks to all of you who have supported the GoFundMe campaign, and I encourage you to keep spreading the word. Even the smallest donations can add up to go a long way, so don't be shy... And finances aside, one cannot underestimate the power and healing energy that love and feelings of good will can have... Let's keep reaching out. Rei; domo arrigato.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
akiy

Here is another update from Stanley Pranin.

Quote:
Lessons learned from Cancer along the Aiki Path

Diagnosis

On January 20, 2017, a long period of my life came to an end when I was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I had no inkling that something was wrong until the few weeks earlier when I began to steadily lose weight to the point of becoming emaciated.

The doctor who showed me the photos of the inside of my stomach explained my situation briefly, shook his head and said simply, "I'm sorry."

Even though in a state of shock, I rejected the draconian treatments of the hospital doctors as the next step in my journey. They wanted to immediately begin chemo followed by a radical surgical option that would have made a normal life impossible. Within hours I checked myself out of the hospital against medical advice, a gesture of desperation mixed with a will to live propelling me forward.

Treatment

I have elected alternative treatment centered around homeopathy, mega dose vitamin IVs, coffee enemas, and various other protocols. But above and beyond this, my doctor is calling upon me to look into my inner-self for a greater power of strength and guidance. He explains that where I am today is a totally natural outcome of everything I have done in my life up until now. He tells me that the cancer is not my adversary, but rather a teacher from whom I have much to learn.

Every day now is focused on the present things of my life and what I need to do regain good health. My
life is full in a way I have never known before. I am no longer who I was just a few weeks ago.
Thank you for listening to my story. I will write more as soon as my energy permits.

For all of those who have reach out to me and my family through the Stanley Pranin Medical Fund at this time, I thank you more than words can express.

Sincerely,

Stanley Pranin

Contribute to Stanley Pranin's Medical Fund here:
https://www.gofundme.com/stanley-pranin
-- Jun

Old 01-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #11
Carl Thompson

Japan

Dear Stanley,

I feel concerned about your choice of treatment. By all means, do the homeopathy but for whatever it's worth, my heartfelt advice is to also listen to some more conventional doctors.

Regards

Carl
Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Sad news.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
I have elected alternative treatment centered around homeopathy, mega dose vitamin IVs, coffee enemas, and various other protocols.
Sad news, I really hope there is someone close to him who can change his mind about the bogus treatment options he's chosen, do them by all means, but not as a replacement for proper medical treatment

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Contribute to Stanley Pranin's Medical Fund: https://www.gofundme.com/stanley-pranin

Lessons learned from Cancer along the Aiki Path - Part 2
Shinken Shobu on the Mind and Spirit Battlefield

"Shinken Shobu" -- literally death match -- is an expression used commonly in Japanese to express your intention to do something with all your body and soul. In the condition I am in now, this expression has taken on a new meaning. From being a doer all of my life, I am now the recipient of loving and kind actions from so many, starting with my family and extending to thousands in the aikido community who have sent their best wishes, prayers and support.

I am now in a position of having to rely on people to assist with many of life's most common things, but I am improving slowly with small advances and discoveries each day.

Time has taken on a new meaning. I am thinking short term, hour to hour, and day to day, but little beyond. I am noticing minutiae all around me, and the ebb and flow of changes within my body. I am scanning my internal core seeking to understand and answer the needs that I have but don't quite understand.

With aikido movements, much of this process becomes automatic over time. Now consider the possibility that you can project this sensitivity and understanding into your training partner. To feel the internal processes ongoing within that being and apply just the right input of energy to hold aggression at bay while protecting uke's well-being.

This is Morihei Ueshiba's way. I will be forever trying to explore this and this is my best opportunity so far to learn!

Contribute to Stanley Pranin's Medical Fund: https://www.gofundme.com/stanley-pranin
FYI...

Best,

Chris

Old 02-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #15
akiy

Hi folks,

Here is a video update from Stanley where is says he is working towards "complete recovery":

https://vimeo.com/202690956

Again, please donate to his campaign if you can. https://www.gofundme.com/stanley-pranin

Thanks,

-- Jun

Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #16
Janet Rosen

"Right" or "wrong" Stan is an intelligent person who is choosing a path that is HIS right path. Another person might have also checked out of the hospital and contacted hospice. Each of us has our own valid reaction to a life-threatening illness based on many priorities and values. Sending much love to Stan.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #17
crbateman

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
"Right" or "wrong" Stan is an intelligent person who is choosing a path that is HIS right path. Another person might have also checked out of the hospital and contacted hospice. Each of us has our own valid reaction to a life-threatening illness based on many priorities and values. Sending much love to Stan.
Well put, Janet... We each must do what we feel is best...
Old 02-08-2017, 03:22 AM   #18
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I think any of us advising anything are just trying to find a way to increase his chances out of genuine concern, but obviously, I agree with your comments. I'm sure he knows what choices he is facing better than we do. I hope he has found the best way of dealing with this illness.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!