Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2002, 01:02 PM   #1
erminio

Black Hawk Down

Hi folks, I re-post here a question because I'm really looking for your answers: what did you think about "Black Hawk Down", by Ridley Scott? I found its principles and the way of thinking of these roles very valuable, but my friends all laugh after me , saying "here come the cowboys"..

Thanks

Erminio
Old 08-27-2002, 04:42 PM   #2
chadsieger
Dojo: Minh Sensei
Confused

I thought it looked like a video game with constant fatalities. Also, the ending was fake. Correct?

Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is exactly the place to train-
M. Ueshiba
Old 08-27-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
paw
Chad,

If you read the book, the number of casualties was grossly understated. Although like any adaptation, the movie did omit certain events for brevity's sake, but overall was accurate.

Personally, I enjoyed the movie when I saw it in the theater, but watching it again, I didn't like it as much as I did. IMO, the director over did it by making every scene so manipulatively dramatic with music.

That said, watching the two Delta snipers request to secure the second crash site was much, much harder the second time.

Regards,

Paul
Old 08-28-2002, 08:55 AM   #4
chadsieger
Dojo: Minh Sensei
Nice tone....
Quote:
If you read the book,
All I know is, I saw almost 1,000 Somolians die in almost every way immaginable. Some may consider this pleasurable viewing. I however, do not.

If you were attracted to the "realism," I may remind you that Stone Temple Pilots don't play whenever you look through the sights of a M-16.

Thanks

Chad

Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is exactly the place to train-
M. Ueshiba
Old 08-28-2002, 01:34 PM   #5
paw
something I missed?!?!?

Chad,
Quote:
All I know is, I saw almost 1,000 Somolians die in almost every way immaginable. Some may consider this pleasurable viewing. I however, do not.
I didn't say I considered watching people getting shot was pleasurable. I don't think the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan is pleasurable (far from it), but within the context of the movie the scene works very well.

Your video game comment struck me as saying the Somali deaths were either a) gratuitious or b) exagerrated. B is certainly not true, and I didn't consider the film to portray the deaths as gratuitious. This was a war film that was intended to be faithful to the actual events. Did you have different expectations of the film?
Quote:
If you were attracted to the "realism," I may remind you that Stone Temple Pilots don't play whenever you look through the sights of a M-16.
I didn't say I was attracted to the realism. I thought made it clear that I thought the soundtrack was manipulative and over the top.

Did you read the book? Based on the book's accounts, the Somali casualities were understated as was the involvement of non-combatants in the firefight (the book makes several references to Somali fighters deliberately using women and children as human shields to fight behind, as well as women and children deliberately taking weapons from dead fighters to give to other fighters....in both cases there was a moral dilema for US Soldiers, do you fire or not?).

I compare the movie to the book because the book was the original source. If a film is based on something else (book, comic, television show) I try to see/read the original source. It's just something I do. <shrugs>

I think Black Hawk Down is a good film, but not a great one. The book is a compelling read, and the most accurate account (possibly the only account) of the events that transpired.

Regards,

Paul
Old 09-02-2002, 12:22 PM   #6
Brian H
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Somali casualties:

The US "little bird" Helicopters spent most of the night flying bellow roof top level firing mini guns (up to 100 rounds a SECOND) and rockets into the streets around the rangers. The few seconds devoted to this phase of the battle, while gratuitously violent, understate the grinding horror depicted in the book.

The movie is largely devoted to the "action" of the story. The book gets into the back ground of the battle, what lead up to it, and the aftermath. It doesn't editorialize, it lays out the story based on first person accounts. The movie plays around with what real people actually did (Everhart in particular), but the ending is real. Those guys really did get left behind and have to run out.

PS : Only in Hollywood can a company clerk brag that Obi Wan Kanobi played him in the movie.

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing
Old 09-03-2002, 03:59 AM   #7
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

I'm seriously attracted to realism in a "war movie" because it protrays what the soldiers had to battle through 'Saving private ryan' was an amazing film and the first ten minutes is enough to put anybody off the army for life, unless your a sadist and enjoy being up to your waste in grenades and intestines, the same can be said for 'Band of brothers' which i found truely moving (having read the book previously) i think it portrayed the story well as did 'Black hawk down' i'm actualy about to order it on DVD i enjoyed it that much along with my other collectons

Das Boot, Full metal jacket, the longest day, tora tora tora, Saving private ryan, band of brothers and countless others which portray accurate (mostly) stories.

has to be said tho if you've seen it 'Saving Ryans Privates' is a hilarious film.
Quote:
This alas is a shame i was looking forward to this, as when you look the the Susat (SP?) of an SA80 you hear "night on a bare mountain" and on a GPMG you get "Iron man" by ozzy

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 09-03-2002, 04:04 AM   #8
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Looking through the SUSAT on an SA80 you will normally hear these mantra "I hope this pile of sh*t goes bang this time" and "why can't I have an HK".

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-03-2002, 05:00 AM   #9
Genex

Talking lol

Quote:
Looking through the SUSAT on an SA80 you will normally hear these mantra "I hope this pile of sh*t goes bang this time" and "why can't I have an HK".
LOL have you ever checked who manufacture SA80's? hehehe its hecklor and kock!!!!

seriously it really is!

tell ya what tho the government want to stay with the sa80 and the army want to get the colt range in its a real battle but hilarious!

Bring back the SLR is what i say.

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 09-03-2002, 05:57 AM   #10
Jim ashby
Hi Pete. Yeah I know that H&K make the SA80, the H&K I was referring to would be the G3. I agree that the SLR was great (unless some sod turned the gas regulator up to 9).

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-03-2002, 10:52 AM   #11
Azrael
Dojo: n/a
Grr!

MP5.......every time!!
Old 09-03-2002, 02:55 PM   #12
Jim ashby
MP5 is a good gun but I wouldnt like to try to use it at any decent distance. Also, I found it to be a bit picky about ammo. Anyway, this is way off thread!

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-03-2002, 07:23 PM   #13
paw
Genex,

You might want to hold off getting Black Hawk Down on dvd....rumor is a deluxe 2 disc set will be released next year.

Regards,

Paul
Old 09-04-2002, 04:25 AM   #14
Genex

Smile

paw, bit late i've already ordered it from australia(duel encoded rgn 2,4) and all delivered for a mere 12english pounds, $35 australian dollers but a nice 12

so i'm happy and as were on the subject of gunz for close quartars and breach work i'd use a p90 or an HK ump45 silenced, for medium to long probebly a colt m4 with a 5X scope, t bar handle metal stock etc.. for long range i'd take an SLR because they are ace.

cant you tell i play counter strike alot? besides i've fired slr's and they rock, one hell of a kick.

yoroshiku, pete

Old 09-04-2002, 01:01 PM   #15
Jim ashby
Never played counter strike. I was a registered firearms dealer for some years though.

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-05-2002, 04:19 AM   #16
Genex

I dont suppose your still selling firearms are you?

There are a few items i would love to get my hands on.

(Que meniacle laughter here)

dont suppose you know where i could get my hands on a nice sphere of weapons grade plutonium would you? golf ball sized would do.

tum-te-tum...

yoroshiku, pete

Old 09-05-2002, 07:28 AM   #17
Jim ashby
No I don't. I gave it up when the cretinously stupid public backed that mad harridan Margaret Thatcher ( may she die in poverty of a lingering disfiguring agonising disease the evil bitch) and Douglas Hurd (the same applies), in banning certain firearms. I gave up my pesonal firearms certificate later when the divine T Blair's government decided to ban most of the rest. Isn't it nice to know that, now firearms are banned, nobody gets shot on our streets.

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-05-2002, 05:28 PM   #18
Brian H
Don't hold it in, Jim!

I am gun buff and living in the US get to own a bunch (and carry them concealed in public), but call me weird, but ...

The thing that struck me the most about Black Hawk Down was the scenes in the Hanger. Seeing the Rangers as a bunch of heavily- armed-man-children-with-guns-making-fart- jokes, only made watching their fight for survival that much harder

Old 09-05-2002, 08:41 PM   #19
paw
Brian,
Quote:
The thing that struck me the most about Black Hawk Down was the scenes in the Hanger. Seeing the Rangers as a bunch of heavily- armed-man-children-with-guns-making-fart- jokes, only made watching their fight for survival that much harder
Could you elaborate on that? What made it harder? Also, did you have different feelings about the Delta Force Operators? (The book went into quite a bit of detail about the difference between Delta and the Rangers)

Regards,

Paul
Old 09-06-2002, 07:17 AM   #20
Jim ashby
Hi Brian. I rant on about Mrs T but for very good reasons. The destruction of industry, the rise of "yuppie culture" (oxymoron?) and escalating a very minor scuffle into a war in which a lot of my friends were killed.As to "black hawk down" it should be looked at as one of the more "warts and all" portrayals of war. There are those who would think it was cool, but then, you can't bruise a pillow.

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-06-2002, 09:57 AM   #21
Genex

Smile

You mean the falklands war?

That was a sham and could have been avoided well in advance if it werent for maggie and the ladz... oh and the french deciding to sell argentina those cruise missle's but we wont hold that against them eh? they didnt really sink many ships

anyhoo about the rangers arent all soldiers just big kids? drinking beer and telling very rude jokes?

i think if they werent they'd prolly go nutz

yoroshiku,

pete

Old 09-06-2002, 10:36 AM   #22
Brian H
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
Brian,

Could you elaborate on that? What made it harder? Also, did you have different feelings about the Delta Force Operators? (The book went into quite a bit of detail about the difference between Delta and the Rangers)

Regards,

Paul
Paul,

The movie (and the book) did a real good job of showing the humanity of the Rangers. The Delta guys come off as more as ultra squared away action hero types. The difference is likely true in reality.

The Rangers were largely teenagers or not much older. They reflect the immaturity of their age and our times. The fact that I was about the same age at the same time draws me closer to them. Their antics remind me of my peers and the silly things men/boys do to bond. That they instantly could transform into mission oriented soldier and fight for each other's lives is a testimony to the courage and training.

The Delta guys are all senior NCOs and the product of several progressive, grinding selection and training processes. (Basic/ airborne/ ranger/ special forces /delta) They are some very serious fellows. The training weeds out anyone without incredible drive and endurance.

When we were 13, one of my Boy Scout buddies told me he was going to become a SEAL Officer. I thought he was so full of crap. He was/is a relatively little guy. But he did it and when asked, "How long can you guys hold your breath under water?" He just answered, "As long as we have to."

As a "regular guy" these guys just seem both "less human" and "super human" to me.

Old 09-06-2002, 12:20 PM   #23
paw
Brian,

Thanks for replying.

That's the impression I got from reading Black Hawk Down as well. I also read "Inside Delta Force" by Eric L. Haney to get a better idea of Delta Operators.

One of the things that I don't think the movie stressed was how much the Rangers looked up to the Delta Operators (it seemed to border on hero worship). Although I do think the movie touched on the different command differences between Delta and the Rangers. The Rangers seemed to have a much more structured and formal command, while Delta did not technically answer to the Ranger command (I think this was shown in the movie in the dinner scene where a Delta Operator -- Hoot, in the movie -- was confronted with the Ranger CO about bringing a "hot" weapon into the cafeteria).
Quote:
The Delta guys are all senior NCOs and the product of several progressive, grinding selection and training processes. (Basic/ airborne/ ranger/ special forces /delta) They are some very serious fellows. The training weeds out anyone without incredible drive and endurance.
Very true. Very dedicated and capable individuals.

Regards,

Paul
Old 09-06-2002, 06:43 PM   #24
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Believe it or not, I have not seen Black Hawk Down or read the book. ( I am watching it this weekend.)

Several of my Ranger Instructors were fresh out of Somalia and had a great deal of advice to us. I took there lessons to heart.

Rangers, Delta, and SF all have different missions.

Rangers are really just infantrymen, albeit very, very special. They specialize in conventional warfare and missions center around airfield seizure, raids, ambushes, and small unit tactics. They are basically "stormtrooper" that go in fast, furious, in well executed and coordinated missions and do it very well. Yes they are very regimented and structured...they have to be since they typically do not fight below the platoon level, and for most part they do battalion level missions (1000 soldiers). The Privates are all about 18-21, the company level officers are anywhere from 21-25 on average.

Having commanded and lead a bunch of "bat boys" in training (18 year old privates...I can tell you that they can be pretty darn normal 18 year olds. It is not until they make sergeant and are in Battalion for a few years that they get experience and maturity. Most of them do their four years and get out...it is a hard life and not for everyone.

Delta, is well..Delta. Brian is correct in his response. They do their own thing as needed.

SF are not really fighters per se. They are into unconventional warfare and basically train indigenous troops and work very differently from Rangers.

All Special Operations FOrces in U.S. have a great deal of respect for one another. and typically share a common brotherhood bond that they have chosen a life that few care to live or have the intestintal fortitude to live.

They are all normal guys and I have had some of the best debates and philosophical conversations with my Ranger Buddy who was a 19 year old private at the time we were in school together.

It changed my life forever I will tell you that!

Old 09-07-2002, 05:00 AM   #25
paw
Kevin,

Please post your thoughts on the movie after you see it. (I hope we haven't given away too many spoilers for you in this thread)

Although the book is a bit "dry" in places (the author rightly assumes that not every reader will know military terms, procedures, etc... and so he explains them as they come up) I think it's worth a trip to the library to pick up.

Regards,

Paul

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!