Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-15-2015, 03:12 AM   #1
StefanHultberg
Dojo: Roskilde
Denmark
Why and why not....

Why train aikido? The question has been asked many times in the aikido-community, not least here on aikiweb. For me, there has never been any reason to ask the question, the pure joy of aikido has been enough.

However, the persistent questions here have led me to consider the matter of why – and perhaps why not.

To me, the “self-defence” application is of no importance. Aikido is a budo, no question about that, and personally I believe good strong aikido, which admittedly takes a long time to learn, can be a brilliant tool for self-defence, it's just not very important to me. I have been attacked a few times, especially in my youth, not once though, I think, in the last 30 years have I been physically attacked. If I find myself attacked one day I hope I will be able to disarm any violent situation through friendly talk or just friendly spirit, at least that will be my preferred approach. If I, for some reason, would have to physically defend myself or others I like the idea in aikido that even physical confrontation can be filled with concern for your enemy - “love thine enemies” in japanese form so to speak. I simply wouldn't use the time I spend on aikido if it was only for some sort of self-defence idea. People looking for pure self-defence, I think, should look elsewhere (pistol-shooting, nepalese chukri, krav-maga ???) – aikido takes time and aims at far higher rewards than just self-defence. Even better – practice aikido and get less scared of being attacked, find the harmony inside.

Will my aikido-training lead to “enlightenment”? Well, I think “complete enlightenment” is achieved, if at all, by very few. I can aspire to some sort of partial illumination and, certainly, aikido is a good helper in that respect. A really good helper, methinks.

Aikido-training certainly promotes health and well-being, my body is nurtured and joyful and vibrating training just makes me happy.

Aikido is cool, fun, awsomely beautiful, and wonderfully mysterious. What's not to like???

So, just a personal view of why – and why not..

Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Cliff Judge
Japan
Re: Why and why not....

Yep.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
Aikido is cool, fun, awsomely beautiful, and wonderfully mysterious.
This.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
lbb
United_States

Quote:
However, the persistent questions here have led me to consider the matter of why -- and perhaps why not.
If you ever plan to have children, you'll have to get over this need to address dumb questions that someone insists on asking over and over again while never listening to the answer.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

aikido had me at ... "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 09-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
dps

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
If you ever plan to have children, you'll have to get over this need to address dumb questions that someone insists on asking over and over again while never listening to the answer.
Why?

dps
Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Why?
Testicles overheating maybe?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:41 AM   #8
StefanHultberg
Dojo: Roskilde
Denmark

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Hahahahaaaaa, brilliant. No, I certainly do not plan to have (more) children, they're grown up and now I find myself trying to answer and ponder questions from my grandchildren. "Where does thunder come from"? "Why does it rain"? "Why do kids have to clean"?? Very entertaining and I find some of their questions pretty hopeless when it comes to finding clear answers. On some occasions I have, much to my surprise, found that the answer I thought I knew wasn't true at all.

I found myself reading about thunder and lightning the last two days and boy was I wrong !!

I see your point about trying to answer certain questions

All the bestest !!
Stefan
Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #9
lbb
United_States

Quote:
I see your point about trying to answer certain questions
It's less about the questions than about what they do with the answers. It seems to me that many people who ask "Why aikido?" are simply going to keep saying "But why, but why, but whyyyyyy" like a toddler who has learned just enough to know how to be annoying, but not enough to learn why you shouldn't. There are several productive responses, but trying to give a serious answer to the question is not one of them.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Semi-seriously, the reason I do Aikido is that my backhand in tennis simply sucked, my knees were feeling it, and the courts were always taken when I wanted to play.

More seriously, the reason most people do what they do is that whatever it was engaged them in a way that other things didn't.

And completely seriously, does it really need to be any more complicated than that? And if so, why?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

When asked about why I study Aikido (or any martial arts), I usually just say its because I don't golf.
There was something about those clown-heads that just freaked me out ... LOL

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
kewms

Flannery O'Connor, when asked why she became a writer, once said, "Because I like it and I'm good at it."

I don't know if I can claim to be good at aikido. But I like it, and I'm better at everything else as a result if it.

Katherine
Old 09-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I really enjoyed that, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, Stefan!
In a nutshell, I started out training because I wanted to learn a discipline and was always interested in "martial arts." I continue because as I learn this discipline, I find new and fascinating bits and the process always leaves me feeling better than before I stepped onto the mat.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #14
jdm4life
United_States

Why? No idea.

Have been asking myself the same question for a while. I am yet to come up with an answer.

Perhaps I like being frustrated.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!