Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-20-2002, 07:12 AM   #1
Kevin Wilbanks
Carjack this...

LOS ANGELES-August 19, 2002 A suspect picked the wrong vehicle to carjack in Hollywood. The vehicle was filled with judo students. They beat the man and then held him until police arrived.

Click Here for More WPVI.com Bizarre News
A Los Angeles Police official says the suspect first carjacked another car yesterday afternoon. He pulled into a gas station and attempted to ditch the stolen Nissan and take another.

But -- to his dismay -- he chose a minivan containing judo wrestlers from Florida International University in Miami. They were in town to teach a self-defense class in Long Beach.

The wrestlers told a television station that they punched the man in the face and hit him from behind. The police official says the students held the suspect in a "body hold" until police arrived. The man's now being held on bail.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Old 08-20-2002, 07:21 AM   #2
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
I already sent them my compliments.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:22 AM   #3
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
This happened in Hollywood? LOL - How much you wanna bet it's gonna wind up on 'America's Dumbest Criminals'?

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:13 AM   #4
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Anyone see last night's "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"? Laughed my ass off.

For those that missed it:

Jon Stewart: "Before we do anything let's do headlines.

A routine car jacking in Los Angeles went horribly, wonderfully awry yesterday, when the twenty year old perpetrator made the unfortunate mistake of trying to steal a van carrying members of a Florida Judo club. (audience laughs; Stewart raises his eyebrows, smiles, and nods) The result? The half dozen martial artists pummeled the man and handed him over to the LAPD. Now we don't have footage of the actual pummeling, but we do have the results of their handiwork. Take a look."

*Footage of the perp being handcuffed and held by three police officers as he groans in pain.*

Stewart: "(Blinks into the camera with a smile) How refreshing: a suspect beaten up before the LAPD get to him. ... The Florida Judo team was in town to teach a self defense class and were approached at a gas station. The car jacker asked for money and reached into the mini van to steal its keys. (Chuckle) Why is he car jacking a mini van?

Even with her extensive Judo training, team member Christina Baldacci was surprised."

*Footage of an interview:
Christina Baldacci: "You know, it was broad daylight. It wasn't something you really expect to have happen..."*

Stewart: "(Chuckle) Yeah. (Serious) Think of how he felt.

Judo which translates as "the gentle way" is as much a mental as physical discipline--a martial art in which skill, timing, finesse take the place of brute force. Team member Baldacci explains..."

*Footage of interview:
Baldacci: "The guys ... the boys are punching him in his face and I didn't, you know, I wanted to go around for a choke to choke him out, but I didn't want to risk getting punched in the head, (laughing) so then I started pounding on him from the back."*

Stewart smiles, and bows to the camera to the sound of a gong, then bows again with a small, smiling "Konnichiwa."

Stewart: "The perpetrator, Tyrone Jermaine Hogan, is being held on $1.2 million bail, money his brother hopes to raise by kidnapping Jackie Chan's family and holding them for ransom. Should that fail, perhaps they will plan on using a cobra to knock up the Mongeese Outlet Center... They choose the wrong targets."

I love that show!

Sarah

Last edited by Arianah : 08-21-2002 at 12:10 PM.

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches