Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #26
Carrie Campbell
United_States
Re: When do you know you are good at ukemi?

Hi, Jaxon! I think practice, practice, practice is the best answer I've seen, though I'd hate to have to count to a thousand and then I'm not sure that's enough to be really good.

Breakfalls (and rolls for that matter) can be a little unnerving at first. Hints I used to get started included getting lower to the ground before rolling and counting to 3 before a breakfall.

The other day, we introduced a new student to breakfalls with an exercise that began with ai hanmi katatetori. If right hands meet, then "uke" stepped around the outside of their partner's right arm, and threw themselves in a breakfall. The left arm slid up the partner's back as if you had come from behind. Nage did nothing but stand solid and let your uke hold your wrist; it might help to hold on to your uke, or for some ukes, shift your weight so uke feels like it's more of a "throw". But really, uke's doing all the work. Nage might be able to watch and notice ways to improve ukemi.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #27
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
It is believed that if you have a special wish, fold one thousand origami cranes. By the time you finish this task, your wish will be granted.

It is believed that if you want to be good at ukemi, fall one thousand time. By the time you finish this task, you will be good at it.

The hardest ukemi to take is the one you worry about before the ukemi starts.

David
For a moment I thought you were going to suggest to be a good uke you have to be folded 1000 times.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #28
MM
United_States

When you can stand in a natural stance, take a full force push to the chest from anyone, and not be forced to step ... then you will be good at ukemi.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
dps

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post
For a moment I thought you were going to suggest to be a good uke you have to be folded 1000 times.
From "Blending with the attack. " thread,

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
"Blending" is something done to fruit for a daquiri. "Blending" is also what happens when that wall of water falls on my poor bastard self if caught inside. Funny thing, they both kinda look about the same -- frothy and swirly and all -- and after several of them -- they both feel about the same, too -- wobbly, gasping for air and darn near unconscious ...
That's how I like my ukes, folded then blended.

David

Last edited by dps : 10-14-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #30
dps

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
When you can stand in a natural stance, take a full force push to the chest from anyone, and not be forced to step ... then you will be good at ukemi.
You are standing in a natural stance and resiting nage, how is that being good at ukemi? It may be a demonstration of internal strength but I don't see it as an indication of being good at ukemi.

David
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #31
MM
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
You are standing in a natural stance and resiting nage, how is that being good at ukemi? It may be a demonstration of internal strength but I don't see it as an indication of being good at ukemi.

David
It goes back to the definition of "ukemi". I think someone once mentioned that one of the literal definitions for "ukemi" is "receiving energy". Just because most people think ukemi is only about rolling and falling, doesn't mean that's all it really is about.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #32
dps

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
It goes back to the definition of "ukemi". I think someone once mentioned that one of the literal definitions for "ukemi" is "receiving energy". Just because most people think ukemi is only about rolling and falling, doesn't mean that's all it really is about.
What does uke do with the received energy?

How does this way help nage learn Aikido?

David

Last edited by dps : 10-14-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #33
RED
United_States

I'll stay on the side of caution and never expect I'm good enough at ukemi, or anything else for that matter. lol There's like 5 million people better than me regardless if I could do a wide leg back fall from the moon.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #34
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

7 years later.... jaxon, how's your ukemi coming along?

practice hard
Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #35
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

You can move your body to receive the shove. Works easier when someone is pushing on one of your shoulders though. You just let your shoulder go back by staying relaxed. I used to be able to do that no problem.... now I would probably fall on my (_!_)

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #36
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

Stay relaxed and move naturally. Hesitation, tension and fear are your worst enemy when taking ukemi.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #37
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States

Lots of good advice. For me personally, I can identify three distinct points that helped my ukemi:
1. I learned to have faith in my ukemi posture, and the mechanics of rolling.
2. I learned to more quickly identify when my body posture was broken (i.e. that I was going to fall) so I could [more quickly] prepare my body to fall.
3. I learned that "fighting" technique was not about resisting, but about moving your body to a stronger defensible position.

"Naturals" quickly knock out #1; they are comfortable falling right from the get go. "Naturals" also get an advantage for #2, usually because they are keen to their body. That just means that the rest of us work harder in the beginning...

As you become better at ukemi you will find that you are comfortable (read "relaxed'), you place your body in a position to receive energy, and you can move you body to continue interaction with your partner.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!