Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Kicking in Aikido and MMA

Devastating Knockout 3rd May 2014

I know this subject has been discussed before.
I was taught Aikido and kicks by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei from the inception of Aikido to the UK in 1955 - Aikido in MMA - My son `Rik hammer Ellis` and my grandson ' Jay `Prodigy` Dods have both been students of Aikido from the age of 5 yrs - I taught them both as I do `all` students - Kicking in Aikido. I thought I would share this recent professional debut win by my grandson Jay on my birthday May 3rd - It was a devastating kick in the first round, a knockout in the first round in 3 mins - 45 seconds.
Jays opponent was out cold for some 25 mins, It was a worrying time for all, Jay's opponent made a full recovery in hospital.

Jay `prodigy ` Dods ( Ellis ) has had a very successful MMA career as an amateur with - semi-pro - with 10 first round wins - The attached video is Jays professional debut at the ` Troxy ` London on Sky TV .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz6x...V-8UT1WqhwRKYQ

Regards

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido `
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
Old 05-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Kicking in Aikido and MMA

Wow, brutal... My jaw hurts watching that.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Yeah... that hurt.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Hellis
England

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Yeah... that hurt.
Ron

It didn't hurt for the first 25 minutes :-(

Henry Ellis
Old 05-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Krystal Locke
United_States

Your grandson has an excellent sense of ma-ai that really shows when he avoids the takedown attempt. He cleanly turned Peters' charge to his own advantage, but Peters had some effective ground defense.

I've certainly seen kicks go really badly for a fighter, and I hope your guys dont rely upon them too much. Jay was smart to come out swinging even if it was with his feet after the warning since Peters was probably expecting another humping. But the margin of error for kicks is much wider than the margin for success.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex36w5Sn2QE

I was a roamer for this event. It was at a horse arena in Corvallis. At the start of the fight, the guy's trainers were hollering for him to stop kicking so much, and he didn't listen. We all heard that awful sound. Then we had to spend a good half hour trying to maintain a path for the docs and the EMTs. Folks had to get closer so their phones could get a better picture. Fuckers.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Hilary
Dojo: Torrey Pines Aiki Kai
United_States

Yeah avoiding that first take down attempt by denying his opponent his center was elegant. Also just using the head to intrude on the other guy. Looked to me that it was really interfering with his opponent's game. Third generation martial artist in action.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Hellis
England

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Your grandson has an excellent sense of ma-ai that really shows when he avoids the takedown attempt. He cleanly turned Peters' charge to his own advantage, but Peters had some effective ground defense.

I've certainly seen kicks go really badly for a fighter, and I hope your guys dont rely upon them too much. Jay was smart to come out swinging even if it was with his feet after the warning since Peters was probably expecting another humping. But the margin of error for kicks is much wider than the margin for success.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex36w5Sn2QE

I was a roamer for this event. It was at a horse arena in Corvallis. At the start of the fight, the guy's trainers were hollering for him to stop kicking so much, and he didn't listen. We all heard that awful sound. Then we had to spend a good half hour trying to maintain a path for the docs and the EMTs. Folks had to get closer so their phones could get a better picture. Fuckers.
Krystal
That leg break was bad - maybe he did not have a sound background as bone on bone is never good.
This was young Jay's first professional fight, so a good start - he has a very impressive amateur and semi-pro record - He won one with an identical head kick, but all the others he won in the first round with a knockout and he has very heavy hands for such a young guy.
Jiro Nakazono Sensei ( son of Masahilo Nakazono Sensei ) emailed me and said `Jays posture and balance was perfection`, that pleased Jay Rik has been teaching Jay the head control, I was impressed with that.
Peters knew of Jay's punching ability and we knew he would want to take it straight to the ground.
Thanks for your comment and insight.

Henry Ellis
Old 05-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

I did some full contact stuff back in the day, and I gotta say, that head kick knockout was sexy in an athletic way, Henry. The ability to kick to head height with power/speed & accuracy is a very nice tool to have in the bag, but if you get one, it can turn into a too-attractive thing to try to pull out too quick or too often. That's not advice for him, just personal experience.

Now I just twist people up and push them over. Seems more civilized to have them hollering and asking me to let go than to just knock them silly or senseless.

(Most of the last bit above is tongue-in-cheek, henry. You can be very proud of that kid, he's going to be great.)

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Hellis
England

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
I did some full contact stuff back in the day, and I gotta say, that head kick knockout was sexy in an athletic way, Henry. The ability to kick to head height with power/speed & accuracy is a very nice tool to have in the bag, but if you get one, it can turn into a too-attractive thing to try to pull out too quick or too often. That's not advice for him, just personal experience.

Now I just twist people up and push them over. Seems more civilized to have them hollering and asking me to let go than to just knock them silly or senseless.

(Most of the last bit above is tongue-in-cheek, henry. You can be very proud of that kid, he's going to be great.)
Hi John

Checking in.

As you rightly say, I am very proud of young Jay who is attracting a lot of attention in MMA.

Jay has great respect for his Aikido background, he is following on a family tradition - his great grandfather Fred was the heavy weight boxing champion of the British Army ( photos on Jay Dods MMA Blog ) his great uncle Charlie was a travelling fairground take all boxer and bare knuckle fighter - his father is Rik Ellis Aikido dan grade - and the UK1 light heavy weight champion - and the icing on his cake is having a good looking grandfather

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido`
Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
dps

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
- and the icing on his cake is having a good looking grandfather

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido`
His mom's father?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
Hellis
England

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
His mom's father?
David

Ouch - that hurt - you found my weak spot

Henry Ellis
Old 06-09-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
Stefan Hultberg
Denmark

In terms of self-defence you should always be aware of which pants you are wearing. High kicks and tight jeans could seriously affect your fertility Also it should be remembered that a high kick when warmed up can be quite different on a Cold Winter morning. Best stay low - especially at my age.....
Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #13
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

Hey Stefan,

It sounds like you don't know about the Official Chuck Norris Kickin' Jeans : -)

You haven't read enough Black Belt Magazine back in the day ;-) There were great advertisements with Chuck doing his epic spinning back kick in his groovy Kickin' Jeans.

How about Aikido Jiyuwaza Jeans as an item?

Sorry for the slightly off-topic reply - I couldn't help myself, it was the coffee
talking :-)

In aiki,
Ethan
Old 06-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #14
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Hah, I was thinking about those Chuck Norris Jeans too!

Maybe suwariwaza jeans? Of course, those would probably just be jeggings with knee pads and there's no way you'd get me into jeggings!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
Stefan Hultberg
Denmark

Hahahaha, Ethan Sensei

I will immediately procure a pair of those. My kicks will levitate all by themselves I'm sure!!!