Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
i.Dak
Philippines
Hi guys! Beginner here :)

Hi ! Im darwin..imma start taking aikido classes by next week...though Ive tried aikido before in my kiddie years.but stopped due to computer games and i was thinking aikido was lacking actions and not being aggressive...and now im in my 20's ...imma start again! despite my friends,people i asked(asked about what art is best for me) and others who gave me advice....im still choosing aikido... Though they told me criticisms and other things such as saying that if i practice aikido its a waste of time. Or sayng mma, bjj or judo is better cuz its not boring and etc. Well, in my opinion i think its not about the art, its all about the person who is practicing the art. Besides i dont wanna compete and show off...im a peaceful person...i dont have an answer why i planned to start aikido again...something inside of me wants to be with the art I dont even know why or what made me decide... Hopefully id achieve shodan in the next 5-8yrs then continue to love and respect the art until the end.

Thank you and God bless everyone
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: Hi guys! Beginner here :)

Welcome.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

Welcome! You don't need a lot of reasons to start. Just walk in the door. You'll find reasons to stay, or you won't, and you'll leave. No shame there.

A couple suggestions:

1. Consider not talking too much to your friends about your training. Clearly they've got opinions that aren't going to be changed by facts or by your actual experiences, and if you talk about them, they won't get it. If you don't want to become known as "Darwin who's all funny in the head about that aikido stuff", don't bring the subject up yourself, and if someone asks, just say, "It's going fine, I enjoy it" and leave it at that.

2. Keep your expectations to a minimum. Try not to formulate opinions about what your training is going to be like (or should be like), or how fast you should progress. The reality will always be different, in big ways and small ways, and the more you develop your expectations, the more likely you are to be disappointed in the reality and give up.

Have fun,
Old 01-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Darwin,

Welcome to AikiWeb and to aikido.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
TonyBlomert

Dojo: Big Sky Aikido, Bozeman MT
United_States

Welcome! Enjoy and learn to challenge from within. I concur with the comments that you should forget about what others think you should do or not. I have found the world of Aikido to be made up of some of the best people around. You will either "take " to the training or quickly discover that it's not your cup of tea. Either way you will have a memorable experience.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com