Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Dave Sampson
United Kingdom
Hello, I am david

I am new to the art of aikido as a result of being robbed by three guys at knife point two weeks ago.

Still very sore and the perp did puncture my neck. About a quarter inch in.

Father did hung gar when i was in my teens and i wish i had stuck with it since i was practicing with him but stopped. Had i continued this assault would not have happened. It was, i think, my calmness and eventual lack of resistance that led to me still being alive or injured.

I found a dojo in my town and i am very pleased and eager to learn the art. I am in no rush to learn too fast.

thanks for hosting this site and for making it available to us

I will be asking questions

thanks for your time

dave
Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Hello, I am david

Hello David, welcome to Aikiweb.

Regarding you experience of being assaulted, look for professional advice for you may have developed, even mild, PTSD; if so, get proper therapy. Aikido is not PTSD therapy in itself and, OTOH, as self-defense method.... I would not recommend it.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

Welcome to aikido, Dave!

I second Demetrio's recommendation re: PTSD. It may seem like it's overly dramatizing things or maybe being a little self-indulgent, or like "hey, it's over and I'm fine, so no problem, right?" Think of it like any trauma: promptly and properly tended, it may be fine, but neglected, it will likely turn out to be a much bigger problem. Deal with it now, using the services of an appropriate professional.

Re: aikido and self-defense, aikido is great, but it isn't a quick path to mugger-proofing yourself. I'd suggest supplementing it by developing other skills such as situational awareness. I've never had to use aikido for self-defense, but situational awareness has gotten me/kept me out of problem situations many times. Aikido's the backup, so far my primary hasn't failed.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
dreamborn

Dojo: Aikikai Tanshinjuku/Lafayette, CO
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Welcome to aikido, Dave!

Re: aikido and self-defense, aikido is great, but it isn't a quick path to mugger-proofing yourself. I'd suggest supplementing it by developing other skills such as situational awareness. I've never had to use aikido for self-defense, but situational awareness has gotten me/kept me out of problem situations many times. Aikido's the backup, so far my primary hasn't failed.
I couldn't agree with Mary more. It will most likely be years before you are skilled enough to use Aikido in a situation like you described. Situational Awareness is great but also the realization that your wallet and watch are cheap compared to getting seriously injured. I think you did great to come out in one piece. Good job and enjoy your path with Aikido.

Kent

風柳 剣人
www.aikitsj.com
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Dave Sampson
United Kingdom

I talked with victim support today and and am seeing somebody about this incident. I suffer from PTSD as it is and am in therapy because of it but the more the merrier.

I am under no illusion that i will be able to defend myself in no time at all. Aikido fits in with my lifestyle and i attribute my non aggressiveness and verbal skills to getting out of that situation alive.

I more or less "talked" my way out of it and let them have whatever it was that they wanted. My life is not worth possessions that i could replace in no time at all. I would rather be alive with less possessions than dead.

I have noticed that since i have been going to class that my SA has improved and i am walking "taller" as well as making eye contact with people. This was not something i did before on purpose. I mean i looked at people but now i look at them differently. It's hard to describe but its almost like i am telling them with my eyes that i see them and let them know that i see them.

I am an athlete and i ride a road racing bike. Have done so since i was a little kid and i am 43 now with over 300.000k lifetime miles so far. The road that i choose to go down now with aikido will also be a long one. I am a patient man and see no benefit in trying to rush into my education. It's not a race to the top for me. I am interested in the mental side of the art as that is a big part of what aikido seems to be. Superior mind and attitude as steven seagal once said.

I know what is ahead of me but i welcome it nontheless.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Dave Sampson wrote: View Post
I know what is ahead of me
No, you don't. But that's ok, really. In fact, it's better. I don't know, either. Make your decisions based on what you see in front of you, not some hoped-for outcome.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Sojourner
Australia

Hi David, its worth pointing out as above that Aikido is many years of training to get to the goal you are looking for which it will do very well. Yet in terms of tactical awareness and defence against being mugged, Krav Maga (which incorporates elements of Aikido) may be worth a look also as you train in Aikido.

Its also worth listening to the truth which is that the best defence against a knife irrespective of how good you think you are may be to run, using techniques against a Knife is something to put much time and effort into thinking about, The reality of it is not like on TV!

The Book, "Aikido for Life" by Gaku Homma is a very good one to get started with to understand what Aikido is about and how long it takes and what its processes are and so forth for a beginner.

Good luck with it anyway, I am sure you will do well!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Dave Sampson
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dave Sampson wrote: View Post

I know what is ahead of me but i welcome it nontheless.
Meaning a long road with absolutely no end at all and not some daft collection of colourful belts that mean nothing if all one is doing are the motions with no thought or philosophy. That should help clarify the confusion and unclear language.

If , after assessing the situation, I have to run so be it since i have done this a few times. I would also rather be alive than dead.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
TonyBlomert

Dojo: Big Sky Aikido, Bozeman MT
United_States

Welcome. It sounds like you have your head on straight about what happened and why you are interested in training Aikido. I have never had to "use" my skills out in the real world for self defense, but I do use Aikido every day in all sorts of aspects of my life. That said, I have trained with and instructed many individuals who have jobs in law enforcement or security. Every single person told me that Aikido training helped in their performance, whether that was due to their increased confidence or ability to be more aware of everything around them. Best wishes and joy in training.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com