Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,919
Spain
Offline
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba - Rare Aikido Demonstration (1957)

Quote:
Joshua Landin wrote: View Post
Karl:

Your assertion that O-sensei avoided challenges is not credible. Why?

Because in order to teach budo in Japan during the 1920s and 1930s (when O-sensei started teaching), you *had* to be able to accept and defeat challenges, because he would have gotten them...all the time (people still cared about validation back then). If he didn't have the skills to back up his teachings and lost - or worse, if he "avoided" challenges as you claim, this would quickly become known and he would have lost his students and his dojo. Now, that didn't happen did it?
Then prove he had accepted challenges and defeated the challengers... BTW, what is your definition of 'challenge'?

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,113
United_States
Offline
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba - Rare Aikido Demonstration (1957)

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Then prove he had accepted challenges and defeated the challengers... BTW, what is your definition of 'challenge'?
I'm not sure that would've worked particularly well, because it would have come from a "[sycophantic]" bit of hearsay.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 12-03-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #28
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,113
United_States
Offline
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba - Rare Aikido Demonstration (1957)

Not sure why those brackets showed up...my brain is fried today...nap time.
Take care, everyone.

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #29
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Location: VA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 384
Offline
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba - Rare Aikido Demonstration (1957)

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Then prove he had accepted challenges and defeated the challengers... BTW, what is your definition of 'challenge'?
The mear fact that he had well known martial arts from other arts validated him. Those guys attacked and lost so they became students. Thats how Osensei became a student of Takeda Sokaku. That's how my current sensei became a student of aikido. Doesn't take much of those in the know to know. In other words, game recognizes game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #30
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,919
Spain
Offline
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba - Rare Aikido Demonstration (1957)

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
The mear fact that he had well known martial arts from other arts validated him. Those guys attacked and lost so they became students. Thats how Osensei became a student of Takeda Sokaku. That's how my current sensei became a student of aikido. Doesn't take much of those in the know to know. In other words, game recognizes game.
Your "proof" is nothing but mere speculation.

I can play that game too, look:

Ueshiba was "validated" because he has papers issued by Takeda Sokaku and had lots of influential contacts in the military and politics from his Omoto-kyo days, not even counting his relationship with right wing extremists. No one issued him a serious challenge.

Also, we are not going to ask about this:

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
I wish I could go into more detail - I cannot - but I am aware of one event when Ueshiba Morihei, at the height of his powers, was humbled by another martial artist. (No, I'm not talking about his first youthful encounter with Takeda Sokaku, or Sagawa Yukiyoshi's account of grabbing Ueshiba's arms and rendering him unable to move). For those who are curious, I will not say more
(bold mine)

BTW, how your Sensei became a student of Aikido is interesting but that is not useful nor reliable data for an Ueshiba Morihei biography.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #31
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Location: VA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 384
Offline
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba - Rare Aikido Demonstration (1957)

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Your "proof" is nothing but mere speculation.

I can play that game too, look:

Ueshiba was "validated" because he has papers issued by Takeda Sokaku and had lots of influential contacts in the military and politics from his Omoto-kyo days, not even counting his relationship with right wing extremists. No one issued him a serious challenge.

Also, we are not going to ask about this:

(bold mine)

BTW, how your Sensei became a student of Aikido is interesting but that is not useful nor reliable data for an Ueshiba Morihei biography.
People talked/interviewed their seniors or instructors who did the same with their predecessors.. The lucky few saw events with their own eyes. If you trust your senior then you'll take their word. No video available the further you go back in time. What type of proof are you exactly looking for to satisfy you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #32
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,919
Spain
Offline
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba - Rare Aikido Demonstration (1957)

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
People talked/interviewed their seniors or instructors who did the same with their predecessors.. The lucky few saw events with their own eyes. If you trust your senior then you'll take their word.
Chinese telephone.

Quote:
No video available the further you go back in time. What type of proof are you exactly looking for to satisfy you?
How historiograpy works?

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18 Peter Goldsbury Columns 187 09-08-2011 03:41 PM
Aikido Memorial Events 2010 Guillaume Erard External Aikido Blog Posts 0 01-17-2011 03:50 PM
Form does not equal function aka The Shape of Aikido MM Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 15 12-23-2010 03:14 PM
YouTube: Golden Center Sword graham christian General 121 12-11-2010 07:37 AM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 3 Peter Goldsbury Columns 16 05-28-2007 07:24 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate