Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #26
ryback
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 196
Offline
Re: YouTube: Tsuruzo Miyamoto at 2013 World Combat Games

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi Yannis,
I have no problem if anyone has a different viewpoint from myself.You expressed what you thought of the video.I respect you for calling it as you perceive it.No problems here.
As you say, you cannot always tell or judge somebody by a video, especially on a demo.
I am sure if you met Miyamoto Sensei and trained with him you would more than likely come away from the encounter with a different 'take' on his work.
By the way, are you the gent on facebook who ssems to like fashionable gear?Do you live in Athens? Do you know Jenny Flower/Matt Teale/Ari Sinavellis?? Cheers, Joe
Hi there Joe. I live in Athens indeed, at least at the moment. I'm not sure what you mean about fashionable gear but in order to recognize me on Facebook, I'm the long hair guy standing next to a palm tree in my profile photo and I have a picture of a Katana on the background timeline photo.
Now I hope that Jun's post telling me I'm way off topic won't be posted...too loud. Haha! Cheers mate!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Location: Gibsons BC
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 193
Canada
Offline
Re: YouTube: Tsuruzo Miyamoto at 2013 World Combat Games

Thank you Joe and Ellis for sharing your experience with Miyamoto sensei.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #28
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 149
Japan
Offline
Re: YouTube: Tsuruzo Miyamoto at 2013 World Combat Games

The visual interpretations that one can make of Miyamoto Sensei's technique and attitude can be very misleading, he is well known for that actually. I have been fortunate enough to find myself taking ukemi for him both in regular classes and at embu and I can tell you that he is absolutely present and aware. In fact you, on your side, have to make sure you are at least as sharp as him because the sanction can come very quickly if you are not paying attention (I also experienced this first hand, nothing bad, but a clear reminder that I was not where I should have been).
I can only speak for myself but there was absolutely no preparation beforehand, and I doubt that there was much more before this video was shot. He just calls you and gives you hints as to what attack you have to do. There a very significant amount of tension and awareness, when you are in the middle with him, almost a sense of danger, and it has nothing to do with the fact that there are spectators: it is just a skilled aikidoka doing his thing admirably well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #29
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,113
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: YouTube: Tsuruzo Miyamoto at 2013 World Combat Games

Quote:
Guillaume Erard wrote: View Post
The visual interpretations that one can make of Miyamoto Sensei's technique and attitude can be very misleading, he is well known for that actually. I have been fortunate enough to find myself taking ukemi for him both in regular classes and at embu and I can tell you that he is absolutely present and aware. In fact you, on your side, have to make sure you are at least as sharp as him because the sanction can come very quickly if you are not paying attention (I also experienced this first hand, nothing bad, but a clear reminder that I was not where I should have been).
I can only speak for myself but there was absolutely no preparation beforehand, and I doubt that there was much more before this video was shot. He just calls you and gives you hints as to what attack you have to do. There a very significant amount of tension and awareness, when you are in the middle with him, almost a sense of danger, and it has nothing to do with the fact that there are spectators: it is just a skilled aikidoka doing his thing admirably well.
Dear Guillaume,
Just about sums up Miyamoto Sensei.Had hoped to visit Japan this Oct.but the trip was cancelled. Hope you are well. Cheers, Joe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #30
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Peter Goldsbury's Avatar
Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Location: Hiroshima, Japan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,997
Japan
Offline
Re: YouTube: Tsuruzo Miyamoto at 2013 World Combat Games

Quote:
Guillaume Erard wrote: View Post
The visual interpretations that one can make of Miyamoto Sensei's technique and attitude can be very misleading, he is well known for that actually. I have been fortunate enough to find myself taking ukemi for him both in regular classes and at embu and I can tell you that he is absolutely present and aware. In fact you, on your side, have to make sure you are at least as sharp as him because the sanction can come very quickly if you are not paying attention (I also experienced this first hand, nothing bad, but a clear reminder that I was not where I should have been).
I can only speak for myself but there was absolutely no preparation beforehand, and I doubt that there was much more before this video was shot. He just calls you and gives you hints as to what attack you have to do. There a very significant amount of tension and awareness, when you are in the middle with him, almost a sense of danger, and it has nothing to do with the fact that there are spectators: it is just a skilled aikidoka doing his thing admirably well.
Mr Erard,

Have you seen Chiba Kazuo Shihan in action or taken ukemi for him? I was at the Combat Games and saw Miyamoto Shihan's demonstration. Afterwards he told me that the demonstrations of K Chiba were a kind of model.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
_______________________
Hiroshima, Japan
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #31
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 149
Japan
Offline
Re: YouTube: Tsuruzo Miyamoto at 2013 World Combat Games

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Guillaume,
Just about sums up Miyamoto Sensei.Had hoped to visit Japan this Oct.but the trip was cancelled. Hope you are well. Cheers, Joe.
Thanks a lot Joe, I hope that you can reschedule, see you soon hopefully!

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Mr Erard,
Have you seen Chiba Kazuo Shihan in action or taken ukemi for him? I was at the Combat Games and saw Miyamoto Shihan's demonstration. Afterwards he told me that the demonstrations of K Chiba were a kind of model.
Best wishes,
Pr Goldsbury,
No I have not had that chance, my only trip to San Diego coincided with that of Chiba Sensei in Britain for a summer seminar unfortunately. Miyamoto Sensei does indeed quite regularly refer to Chiba Sensei. Some very skilled students of the later also tend to be close to Miyamoto Sensei when the visit or stay in Japan. I do not know much more than that though, for I have never been a student of Chiba Sensei, nor have I been a member of the Birankai (my loss).
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #32
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,113
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: YouTube: Tsuruzo Miyamoto at 2013 World Combat Games

Quote:
Guillaume Erard wrote: View Post
Thanks a lot Joe, I hope that you can reschedule, see you soon hopefully!

Pr Goldsbury,
No I have not had that chance, my only trip to San Diego coincided with that of Chiba Sensei in Britain for a summer seminar unfortunately. Miyamoto Sensei does indeed quite regularly refer to Chiba Sensei. Some very skilled students of the later also tend to be close to Miyamoto Sensei when the visit or stay in Japan. I do not know much more than that though, for I have never been a student of Chiba Sensei, nor have I been a member of the Birankai (my loss).
Dear Guillaume,
Speaking for myself I am sure Birankai International would have welcomed you into our group.Its a pity you never had thr opportunity to train in San Diego with Chiba Sensei,Mt time spent there as kenshusei/uchi deshi was the best time I ever spent doing aikido .Murashige Sensei was there as well,as well as Archie Champion,Liese Klein Yahe Solomon,Ismael Hassan,Dave Alonzo, Mike Sidebottom, Daniel Kempling,Robert Savoca , Marianne Shibata,Richard Edmunds.Sorry if I miss out on few training partners.Great atmosphere,intense, focused , tiring but wonderful times.A few clipe that I took of my time here are on Youtube .Hadronica ?posted them.Cheers, Joe,
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD's of the World Games 2005 in Germany Thomas Domroess Marketplace 2 11-29-2006 03:32 AM
World Games 2005 in Germany Thomas Domroess Seminars 38 08-07-2005 05:04 AM
2009 World Games acot General 4 08-24-2004 08:18 PM
Aikido in the World Games jon_jankus General 0 08-24-2004 09:55 AM
Aikido in the International World Games L. Camejo General 4 08-12-2004 09:13 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate